Baked BBQ Pineapple chicken recipe is the perfect meal idea for family dinner or a big get together. It is easy and delicious but tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen. It is so tasty but only requires 3 simple ingredients!
Baked Pineapple Chicken Recipe
This is one of those recipes that you can make for a lazy day or to serve when people come over. It is easy but it tastes like you spent more work than just dumping stuff in a pan!
This recipe is also great to throw together for a freezer dinner or to bring to a family that just had a baby.
The pineapple and BBQ blend together for such a tangy and sweet sauce that is amazing in each bite. Your family will love this meal.
You only need 3 ingredients to get dinner on the table for your family and it will be a huge hit!
What do you serve with Barbeque Chicken with Pineapple?
While your chicken is cooking, make one of these amazing sides.
- Serve it with Rice – Serve it over rice and you have a full meal. It is that easy. Freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer and we all can enjoy a really easy meal.
- Add a Salad – Sometimes we also add a simple side salad
- Steam some Broccoli – Learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave for another easy side idea.
The Pineapple BBQ Sauce tastes amazing!
Spoon this remaining barbecue sauce over the rice for a great meal. I could eat this sauce by the spoonful it is so flavorful.
You can even learn how to make this Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe. It is very cost effective and so easy to make.
- Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Honey Barbecue Sauce
- Pineapple Chunks
- Olive Oil
How to make Baked BBQ Pineapple Chicken:
- Prepare Oven – Preheat oven to 400 degrees G.
- Spray Pan – Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season Chicken – Lay the chicken out in the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Top with Pineapple and BBQ Sauce – Then top the chicken with the barbecue sauce and pineapple.
- Bake Chicken – Bake in preheated medium high heat oven for 30-40 minutes until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
How long to Bake Chicken Breast?
We love baking chicken. We are either grilling or baking chicken weekly. Getting it done at the right temperature makes sure that your chicken doesn’t get dried out. It will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken.
Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that you chicken is done. Always make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Bake 350 degrees – It will take your chicken about 30 minutes to be done.
- Baking at 375 degrees – Bake chicken for about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees – Bake chicken for about 22 minutes.
Can you make BBQ Pineapple Chicken in the crock pot?
Yes, throw it in the crock pot and come home to dinner ready and waiting. We love this option if we are going to be gone all day and need dinner when we come home.
- Change the Chicken – We used chicken breast but you can use chicken thighs or chicken tenderloin.
- Add in Vegetables – Add bell peppers, green onions, or chopped broccoli for a complete meal.
- Crushed Pineapple – Use crushed pineapple instead of pineapple chunks.
- Add Soy Sauce – We occasionally will add some soy sauce to change the flavor.
What can I add to this Baked Pineapple BBQ chicken recipe?
This recipe is amazing as is but sometimes I like to add red onion and bell pepper. It not only adds a gorgeous pop of color but really enhances the flavor even more in this barbecue chicken.
Can this Barbecue Pineapple Chicken be made ahead of time?
Yes, this is a great meal to prepare ahead of time. If you are planning on serving for a party or a weeknight meal, prepare it the night before.
Just place in the refrigerator covered with saran wrap and then when you are ready, bake.
Can this meal be BBQ Chicken frozen?
Yes, this is a great to meal to prepare for your freezer. You can freeze up to 3 months until ready to cook. Thaw overnight in the fridge and cook the next day.
No worries if you forget to thaw it. Just toss it right in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. If you have trouble getting it out of the bag, run water on the outside of the bag and it should come right out.
It really isn’t any trouble to double this recipe. I normally make one for dinner and the other for the freezer. Then I have another great meal to use on a busy day.
Since you already have all the ingredients out, it is very simple to make 2 portions.
How to Store Leftovers:
This is one of my favorite meals to meal plan with. The leftover chicken can be store in an air tight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
If you want to meal prep with this meal, you can place it individual containers with some rice and vegetables. This saves time and money.
Print this Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken Recipe below:
Baked Pineapple BBQ Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 cup Honey Barbecue Sauce (I used low sugar but regular will work)
- 1 can Pineapple Chunks (20 oz can, drained)
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees G.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non stick spray.
- Lay the chicken out in the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Then top the chicken with the pineapple and the barbecue sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I can’t wait to make this in my new programmable crock pot.
HI, I want to make this recipe but am a bit confused. I not sure I have ever seen a 28 oz. can of crushed pineapple. Would this be an 8 oz. can or a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple. Thanks.
How long and at what temp do you cook this in the crock pot?
I got a bunch of frozen chicken breasts when they were on sale, they are pretty thin already. Do you think I could make this using the pre-frozen breasts instead?
Let us know if you like it – Thank you!
Loy – They have a 28 oz can in the grocery stores near me. If they don’t have them in yours, I would use 1 of each of the 20 oz and 8 oz cans. Thank you!
Julie – I would cook it on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Thank you!