These helpful tips will help you choose The Best Substitute for Lemon Juice. Rather you are cooking or baking choosing the right substitute is essential for your recipe.
Best Substitute for Lemon Juice:
We use lemon juice in a lot of recipes. We use it to bake muffins and lemon bread. It also is a vital ingredient when making our Crock Pot Lemon Chicken.
Nothing is worse when you are in the middle of a recipe and you don’t have the specific ingredient you need. These helpful tips will help you still finish your recipe and still get dinner on the table.
These substitutions will help you choose the right alternative ingredient when you are out of lemon juice.
Cooking or Baking – The Best Substitute Options:
When you are baking a recipe or cooking a savory dish, you want to make sure you use the right substitute for lemon juice.
- Cooking – When I am cooking dishes and it calls for lemon juice and we are out, the best substitute will be lime juice or orange juice. White Wine Vinegar and White Vinegar are good options as well but it only takes a small amount.
- Baking – In lemon flavor baking recipes, it will depend on what you are baking. We tend to use lemon juice more when baking than when we are cooking. Lime juice and orange juice are still good options, but you just have to remember that it could change the color of your bake goods.
Use Lime Juice as a substitution for lemon juice. Lime juice is a little sweeter but gets the job done when you are out of lemon juice. It is a great substitute for lemon juice.
- Substitute lime juice in equal amounts of lemon juice
Substitute Lemon Juice for Lemon Zest:
If your recipe calls for Lemon Zest, you can use lemon juice. More than likely, you recipe is calling for fresh lemon zest, but you can use lemon juice in a bottle.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon of lemon zest for 2 tablespoon of lemon juice
Dry White Wine is excellent choice for in place of lemon juice. As long as you choose a dry white wine it will still add in the citrus flavor to your recipe.
- Substitute equal parts of white wine to replace lemon juice
Even though orange juice is sweeter and less acidic than lemon juice, it is still a good alternative to lemon juice. It is a great swap in your baking and cooking recipes. The only downside it might turn your recipe a tint of orange.
- Substitute equal parts of orange juice for lemon juice
White Wine Vinegar:
White Wine Vinegar is a good substitution in small amounts. If you are looking to brighten up a dish and give it that bite that lemon juice brings, then I say it is a good alternative. But Vinegar is strong so don’t add to much or your recipe will taste like vinegar.
- Substitute half as much as the recipe calls for lemon juice.
Lemon Extract is a great substitution for baking recipes. But it is very concentrated so only takes a little bit to make an impact your recipes.
- Substitute one teaspoon of Lemon Extract to two tablespoon of lemon juice
Plain White Vinegar is a lot like White Wine Vinegar. It works good in small quantities. But adding to much can make you recipe taste like vinegar. White Vinegar works well in substituting for savory recipes.
Apple Cider Vinegar also works the same way. Start off in small amounts.
Cream of Tartar:
Cream of Tarter works well in substitution for lemon juice. It is a powder form found in the baking isle at the grocery store.
- Substitution of Cream of Tartar is half as much as Lemon Juice