This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Fun and Festive Christmas Tree Cupcakes are perfect for the holidays. These cupcakes are easy to make and simple to decorate for your Christmas party.
This Christmas Tree Cupcakes Recipe is so simple and starts with a box mix. Homemade frosting takes it to the next level and transforms each one into a gorgeous Christmas tree. It is one of the easiest Easy Christmas Recipes for busy moms and I love to make it and every year.
We love baking for the holidays, and I always get the kids involved. They have fun putting the candy balls and the yellow stars to complete our Christmas Tree look. Get your party started and also make Christmas Tree Brownies and Christmas Tree Cheese Ball!
Table of Contents
Why you will love this recipe
- Fun and Festive Holiday Dessert. This cupcake Christmas tree is sure to impress family and friends.
- The recipe uses a cake mix. It’s so simple to make Christmas cupcakes using a cake mix.
- Rich and decadent. There is something about the holiday season, that we enjoy rich and decadent desserts.
For the Cupcakes:
- Chocolate Cake Box Mix
- Red Cupcake Liners
For the Icing:
- Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- Clear Vanilla Extract
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Yellow Sugar Stars
- Candy Balls
Get the entire ingredient list and complete instructions at the bottom of the post.
- Cake flavor. Substitute your favorite cake flavor in this recipe. Other ideas include vanilla, red velvet, German Chocolate, lemon and more.
- Cupcake Liner. We used red cupcake liner, but you can easily other colors. Plaid or green liners are always a fun change.
- Sprinkles. If you can’t find candy balls, you can use a thin layer of sprinkles. This will make it look like twinkle lights on the frosting.
- Gold Star Tip. If you can’t find gold stars, use gold sprinkles. You will still get that glowing affect.
- Homemade Chocolate Cake – If you prefer, you can make Chocolate Cake from scratch.
- Frosting. You can also use Cream Cheese Frosting or Buttercream Icing.
- Powdered Sugar. You can also do a light dusting of powdered sugar to look like a snow texture on the trees.
How to Make Christmas Tree Cupcakes:
- Step 1. Preheat Oven – Prepare oven by preheating oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2. Make the Cake – Prepare the chocolate cake mix based on the cupcake instructions. Place the red cupcake liners in a cupcake tin. Fill the holders 2/3 full of batter. Then take the cupcakes out of the cupcake pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack at room temperature.
Step 3. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth. I used an electric mixer.
Step 4. Then slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time). Then mix on low to medium speed until well combined.
Step 5. Stir in Vanilla and Milk until combined.
Step 6. Then add a few drops of the green food coloring. Add until the frosting is a bright green color similar to a Christmas tree.
Step 7. Then use a 1M piping tip and a decorator’s bag, fill it with the green frosting. Gently frosting each cupcake with a circular motion to resemble a Tree sitting on top of the cupcake. Then place a star on the top of each cupcake. Use the candy balls to decorate the cupcakes to resemble ornaments.
- Add the decorations right away – Make sure to add the decorations immediately after you add frosting to the cupcakes. They will not stick if the frosting has already fully set.
- Making the Tree – When you are making the tree, add in the icing to a piping bag to easily make the tree. In a circular motion pipe ice on cupcake.
- Icing – To easily pipe the frosting on the cake, make sure it is at room temperature.
- Green Gel Food Coloring – We recommend using gel food coloring instead of the liquid food coloring. The liquid kind will thin out the food coloring.
- Cupcake – Use a toothpick inserted to make sure the cupcakes are done. Let cool before frosting.
How to Store Chocolate Cupcakes:
Store the leftover cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
More Easy Christmas Desserts:
- Easy Christmas Chex Mix Recipe
- Christmas Brownies Recipe
- Christmas Tree Coffee Cake
- Christmas Chocolate Covered Oreos Recipe
Try this festive recipe and then come back and leave a comment. I love hearing from you!
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 Chocolate Cake Mix
- *Plus the ingredients to prepare the cake mix based on the package instructions
- Red Cupcake Liners
FOR THE ICING:
FOR THE DECORATIONS:
- Yellow Sugar Stars for topping
- Candy Balls for the ornaments
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix based on the cupcake instructions using the red cupcake liners and all the cupcakes to cool completely at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth.
- Then slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Then stir in the vanilla extract and milk until combined. Then add a few drops of the green food coloring until the frosting is a bright green color similar to a Christmas tree.
- Then use a 1M piping tip and a decorator’s bag, fill it with the green frosting.
- Gently frosting each cupcake. You want to slowly build up the frosting on top of the cupcake using a circular motion to resemble a Tree sitting on top of the cupcake.
- Then place a star on the top of each cupcake and use the candy balls to decorate the cupcakes to resemble ornaments.
- Then the cupcakes are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe