This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make this easy chocolate cake recipe from scratch. It is so delicious and actually very simple to make. This recipe is a must try!
Easy chocolate cake recipe
Cakes from scratch tend to have a preconceived notion that they are hard to make. This could not be further from the truth!
I’m going to show you how to make a chocolate cake from scratch that is so easy! You will never buy a box mix again after you taste this chocolate flavor.
This cake is so moist and delicious and makes the best birthday cake. We make this for birthday’s, holidays, special occasions and more! Sometimes, just because.
Vanilla Buttercream Icing is my favorite but you can certainly use whatever you prefer on this yummy cake. Just use a good homemade icing. It’s worth it and easy too.
Once you see how easy this cake is, you might want to try this Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe.
You will need a 9×13 pan for this recipe. I love my Wilton and it’s never failed me.
It’s worth it to make sure you have a good pan for this recipe and others. You can see the one I use here. It’s perfect for so many different recipes.
If you want to make a layer cake, feel free to use two 9? round cake pans for this recipe instead of the 9×13 pan. These are the ones I use if you need a new set.
Also, I slice my rounds in half to create 4 rounds before frosting. I use this to level my cakes and to slice the rounds in half. It’s so handy and makes this process so much easier.
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- homemade buttercream icing – How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
How to make easy chocolate cake from scratch:
Before you start, go ahead and preheat the and grease the 9×13 baking pan.
First, use a saucepan and add the butter, cocoa powder and water. Stir everything together and keep stirring until the mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat and set aside for later.
Second, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Once everything is well combined, add the chocolate mixture and beat well.
Next, add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla together.
Finally, pour the cake batter into the pan and bake. I like to use a toothpick inserted into the middle to make sure it is done.
Make sure to let the cake cool completely before you ice it.
Now, it is time for my favorite part- the frosting! You can use any frosting you prefer but we love this homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting)
It is so rich and creamy. It goes so well with this chocolate cake and takes minutes to make.
Cut into squares and enjoy!
It is that easy to make Homemade chocolate cake.
This is the best cake and very simple. You will wonder why you ever bought store bought. Let the family help with this easy chocolate cake recipe for kids.
We make this for birthdays, special occasions and more! Grab your ingredients and get started making this cake. You will not be disappointed.
Also, you must try this Easy homemade vanilla ice cream recipe! It is so smooth and creamy plus incredibly simple to make. You don’t even need an ice cream maker to make this delicious homemade ice cream!
This moist chocolate cake recipe is so delicious and very easy to make. It is a win win!
Print this homemade chocolate cake recipe below:
Easy Chocolate Cake recipe - How to make a Chocolate cake from Scratch
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 recipe for homemade buttercream icing - How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened (1 stick)
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a saucepan, add butter, cocoa powder and water. Stir constantly until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add chocolate mixture and beat well. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and beat well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting. Cut into 24 squares.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
You might also like this amazing S’mores cake recipe! It will take dessert to a new level! It’s loaded with chocolate, marshmallows and more!
More easy cake recipes:
- Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cherry Cake Recipe
- Peach Dump Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Easy Coffee Cake Recipe
- Crock Pot Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Crock Pot Cherry Dump Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
- Oreo Dirt Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Christmas Jello Poke Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Lazy Day Cinnamon Bundt Cake Recipe
- The Easiest Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
- How to Make a Mug Cake from Scratch
- Quick and Easy Cake Balls
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Icebox Cake Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Crock Pot Lava Cake Recipe
- Easy S’Mores Cake Recipe