This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Christmas Tree Coffee Cake is perfect for the holidays and made with crescent rolls. This easy Danish recipe is festive and delicious for Christmas morning.
This easy to make recipe for Christmas Tree Coffee Cake looks fancy but it’s so simple. Christmas Tree Coffee Cake is one of my favorite Christmas recipes that I make each year for my family. It is delicious paired with Christmas Fruit Salad and Christmas Morning Punch.
This recipe is so light and flaky with sweet orange glaze drizzled on top. Candied red and green cherries complete the look for the perfect seasonal treat.
Table of Contents
Why you will love this recipe
- The recipe uses crescent rolls. It is effortless with a can of crescent rolls. You don’t have to make various batters or use active dry yeast with this recipe.
- Light and flaky texture. Each bite is light and golden brown.
- Perfect for Christmas. The sweet glaze combined with candied cherries make it so festive!
- Refrigerated Crescent Roll
- Powdered Sugar
- Red and Green Candied Cherries
Find the complete ingredient list and instructions in the recipe card.
- Cream Cheese Glaze. This recipe is also delicious with a cream cheese glaze.
- Different shapes. Try forming the dough into other shapes to make this work year-round. You can make a star for July 4th!
- Nuts. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the glaze. Pecans and walnuts taste great.
- Omit the glaze. Top with melted butter and omit the glaze if desired.
- Cinnamon Sugar. Swap the glaze for cinnamon and sugar on top. Brush with butter first so it sticks. Then sprinkle several tablespoons of topping. Nutmeg is also good.
- Vanilla. Add a teaspoon vanilla extract to the glaze if desired.
- Crumb Topping. Try a cinnamon streusel with brown sugar for the topping.
- Homemade dough. You can use homemade pizza dough. The texture will be different. However, it’s very easy with all purpose flour, teaspoons salt, cups water and other simple ingredients in a large bowl.
- Fruit. Pineapple or other fruit can be used.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1. While the oven is preheating, unroll the crescent roll dough into 2 long rectangles. Then press them together seam to seal. You do not need to use a lightly floured surface with crescents.
Step 2. Next, cut each rectangle into 4 strips lengthwise.
Step 3. Twist each of the strips several times.
Step 4. Shape the twisted strips to form a tree shaped dough and place dough on the baking sheet. Start at the top of the tree and slowly zigzag the dough down the baking sheet. Each row should be longer than the row above it to form a tree shape.
Step 5. Form the tree trunk and add a curl in the center for the tree trunk on the Christmas tree. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the tree after it’s formed.
Step 6. Finally, bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the bread is slightly golden brown. While it’s baking, combine the ½ cup sugar and orange juice for the glaze in a small bowl. Blend the mixture together on low speed to medium speed with a mixer or by hand.
Step 7. Allow the bread to cool and then drizzle the powder sugar glaze on the bread. Top with maraschino cherries.
Step 8. Serve and enjoy this delightful Christmas Coffee Cake.
- Make sure the crescents are touching. Each row of the tree should be close together.
- Each row should be longer. As you zig zag the dough, make each row longer than the one before.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container or cover in plastic wrap for up to 5 days.
It is best prepared when ready to serve. The crescent rolls will not taste as good when prepared in advance.
More Easy Christmas Breakfast Recipes:
I am so excited for you to try this Christmas Tree Coffee Cake Recipe. Once you make it, please come back and leave a comment!
Christmas Tree Coffee Cake
- 1 can Refrigerate Crescent Roll 8 ounces
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Orange Juice
- Red and Green Candied Cherries cut in half
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough into 2 long rectangles and press all the seals together.
- Then cut each rectangle into 4 strips lengthwise. Twist each of the strips several times.
- Use the twisted strips to form a tree shaped dough on the baking sheet. Start at the top of the tree and slowly zigzag the dough down the sheet making each row longer than the row above it to form a tree shape.
- At the bottom of the tree, add a curl in the center for the tree trunk on the Christmas tree.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top of the tree after it’s formed.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the bread is slightly golden brown. Carefully remove the bread from the baking sheet and place it on a serving tray.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and orange juice for the glaze.
- Once the bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze on top of the bread and top with the halved candied cherries.
- Then the coffee cake is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe