This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cranberry Chutney is sweet, tart and loaded with flavor. This cranberry sauce alternative is easy to make with simple ingredients.
Easy Cranberry Chutney Recipe:
Fresh Cranberry Chutney is a great alternative to cranberry sauce. This sweet and tart mixture is cranberries, warm seasoning and creamy texture. Cranberry Chutney perfect side to add to your holiday dinner table this year.
Cranberry sauce is a blends cranberries but this recipe cranberries more present. Combined with the other easy ingredients makes this side perfect to top a slice of bread and cream cheese.
This one pot side dish combines all the ingredients together and simmers for on low heat. Make ahead and store in the refrigerator to enhance the flavors.
You may like this Easy Cranberry Relish Recipe.
What is Cranberry Chutney:
Cranberry Chutney is made with sweet, sour, and tart ingredients. It includes fresh cranberries, dried cranberries, staple pantry ingredients, oranges and apples. Fresh ingredients mixed together to use as a side on a many things.
You can add to your turkey sandwiches, top a French baguette with cream cheese, on a charcuterie board with cheese crackers. It is even perfect to place in a jar and give your neighbors and friends during the holidays.
- Fresh or Frozen Cranberries (if using frozen, make sure to defrost them first)
- Dried Cranberries
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Cloves
- Oranges, juiced
- Orange Zest from 2 Oranges
- Sweet Apple, peeled, cored and diced (Honeycrisp, Fuji or Gala)
How to Make Cranberry Chutney:
- Mix together all the ingredients – Stir all the ingredients together on a medium saucepan. This includes the ½ cup of sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat and stirring occasionally.
- Simmer ingredients on low – Then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Place cover on sauce pan and cook on low heat for 30 minutes until the cranberries start to pop.
- Continue Cooking – Then uncover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the chutney starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat – Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Cool, Serve and Enjoy – Refrigerate the chutney overnight for the flavors to combine fully. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
How Long Will Cranberry Chutney Keep:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. This makes the perfect side dish to make ahead of time. During the holidays, I love making meals that can be prepared ahead of time.
This saves me time and I can enjoy the holiday with family and friends. Make a charcuterie board with cheese, crackers and meats and add this as a side. Every one will be so surprised how delicious it is and how super easy it is to make.
What do you do with Cranberry Chutney:
- Make a Sandwich – If you have leftover turkey add this cranberry chutney to the sandwich. Take you classic turkey sandwich to the next level.
- Perfect with Cheese – Serve with goat cheese, cheddar or brie with some crackers or bread. You can even spoon over a block of cream cheese with some nuts for a beautiful presentation.
- Puff Pastry Appetizer – To make an easy appetizer to serve this holiday, add cranberry chutney to a puff pastry with cheese. Bake the store bought puff pastry for easy appetizer in about 10 minutes.
Cranberry Apple Chutney Tips:
- Store Properly – If store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, this cranberry chutney will last up to 10 days.
- Freeze – This cranberry mixture can be placed in the freezer. Store in a freezer container or a zip lock bag for up to 2 months.
- Serving – To serve after freezing, place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. You can enjoy chilled or warm on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Cranberries – We recommend using fresh cranberries but if you can’t find cranberries, you can use frozen. Make sure to thaw before using but keep in mind the texture and consistency may be a little different.
- Apples – Use a variety of different apples. We suggest Honeycrisp, fuji, or gala. Just make sure they are sweet and firm. Granny Smith’s are also a good option.
- Vinegar – You can add in vinegar for added flavor. For the health benefits we recommend apple cider vinegar but you can also white stilled vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Sugar – We used white sugar and brown sugar in this recipe. But I am sure if you wanted to use a sugar substitute it would still be amazing. We recommend monk fruit or erythritol as an easy substitute.
- Fresh Ginger – For a deep ginger flavor, add in some fresh ginger.
- Instant Pot – You can even make this delicious recipe in the instant pot.
Print Recipe here for Cranberry Chutney:
- Stir all the ingredients together on a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered on low heat for 30 minutes until the cranberries start to pop.
- Then uncover and cook for 10-15 minutes until the chutney starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Refrigerate the chutney overnight for the flavors to combine fully. Then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe