Add a bit of sweetness to your classic chili recipe with this Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili Recipe. Delicious, flavorful and easy to make chili.
Crockpot Pumpkin Chili Recipe:
There are many different Chili Recipes out there. Some chili recipes are made without beans, some like them in there. Others like a thicker chili and others like it more like a soup.
We love making a slow cooker full of chili at the start of the colder season or a fall day and because of our love of pumpkin we decided to add a can in. It added flavor, texture, and turned our classic chili recipe into a bit sweeter chili.
Adding pumpkin to this chili recipe gave the recipe many healthy benefits. Pumpkin adds a good source of fiber and healthy carbs. We loved the flavor and it really helped to balance out the spicy flavor that was added. You might also like our stove top version.
What does Pumpkin Chili taste like?
Pumpkin chili is a delicious twist on your classic chili recipe. Adding pumpkin to the chili allows for the chili to have a thicker texture broth and adds just a hint of sweetness that you will love.
We like to call it our secret ingredient. Because when you serve it to a crowd everyone will love the taste but they won’t be able to tell what that extra ingredient is.
Blending the pumpkin with the other ingredients allows for you to taste a sweet and spicy flavor without being overpowering.
FOR THE CHILI:
- Ground Beef
- Pumpkin Purée (15 oz can)
- Tomato Sauce (29 oz can)
- Pinto Beans (15 oz cans), do not drained
- Beef Broth
- Chili Powder
- Onion, diced
- Red Bell Pepper, diced
- Minced Garlic
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Onions, sliced
How to Make Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili:
- Step 1 – Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain off the excess grease.
- Step 2 – Place the ground beef in a crock pot. Then stir in the remaining chili ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Step 3 – Serve warm with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy!
- Pumpkin Puree – Make sure to buy the 100% Canned Pumpkin Puree and not the Pumpkin Pie Filling. The Pumpkin Pie Filling does not work in this recipe.
- Broth – If you using ground beef, use beef broth. If you are using ground turkey use chicken broth.
- Meat – We browned our beef before adding to the slow cooker. There are our crock pots that you can cook your meat right in the slow cooker. That will save you a dish.
- Adding in broth – Add the broth in small batches. If you prefer a thinner broth, you can always add in more towards the end of cooking time.
- Spicy – If you prefer to have your chili to be a bit more spicier, you can easily add in additional ingredients. We recommend Cayenne Pepper or slice jalapenos. A side of hot sauce is also an option.
- Make Ahead – Leftover chili is my favorite way to eat chili. We like to make ahead and then place in the refrigerator after it cools. The ingredients really marinate together to get the best chili flavor.
Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili Variations:
- Change the Meat – We love that this recipe can be change to what you have on hand or your diet restrictions. You can use ground turkey or ground chicken or rotisserie chicken instead of ground beef.
- Beans – We used pinto beans, but you can use any type of bean. Red beans, white beans or even black beans will work with this recipe.
- Corn – Add in a can or frozen corn for added texture and flavor.
- No Beans – If you prefer to make chili beans or you have kids that don’t like beans, then just omit them.
- Make Ahead – We like to plan our meals for the week on Sunday. If I know I am going to make meals ground beef, I like to make a big batch of it so I can easily add it to a recipe.
- Instant Pot – This chili recipe can even be made in the instant pot.
Pumpkin Chili Toppings:
We love to set out a variety of toppings when we make chili. Here are some of our favorites:
- Different types of cheeses
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Green Onions
- Hot Sauce
- Sliced Jalapeno Peppers
- Lime Wedges
Can I use Turkey instead of Ground Beef?
Yes, you can use ground turkey instead of ground beef for this recipe. I have even used half ground turkey and half ground beef and no body knew the difference.
Cooking the ground turkey with the ground beef allows for the ground turkey to pick up the beef flavoring without anyone noticing. It saves on calories and fat content.
What to Serve with Pumpkin Chili?
- Corn Bread – We love serving cornbread with our chili. This homemade recipe is easy to make and we love it crumbled up in our chili.
- Crackers and Cheese – Crackers and cheese is a must when we are making chili.
- Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread – This is the perfect homemade jalapeno cornbread recipe. It has a bit of spice and it goes perfectly with this pumpkin chili.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze:
Once the chili has cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer safe container. If stored properly the chili will stay good for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat:
Allow chili to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Place the chili in a large pot over medium heat or dutch oven and reheat on the stove top. Stirring occasionally until chili is heated thoroughly.
Print Recipe here for Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili:
Crock pot Pumpkin Chili
FOR THE CHILI:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can Pumpkin Purée 15 oz can
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 29 oz can
- 2 cans Pinto Beans 15 oz cans, do not drained
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- Brown the ground beef. Drain off the excess grease.
- Place the ground beef in a crock pot. Then stir in the remaining chili ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve warm with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Crockpot Chili Recipes:
- Easy Crock Pot Chili Recipe
- Turkey Chili Crockpot Recipe
- The Best Easy Keto Chili Recipe
- Texas Roadhouse Chili Recipe