This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Try this easy CrockPot Breakfast Casserole Recipe for a delicious breakfast everyone will love that can be made in advance. This is perfect for holidays but easy enough for busy school mornings.
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
We all love this easy breakfast casserole and the slow cooker makes it so easy. You can enjoy this for special family gatherings, holidays or any day of the week thanks to the crock pot.
If you enjoyed our Easy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole Recipe, you will love this simple and tasty casserole recipe. This is the perfect casserole to have ready on Christmas morning or for Christmas brunch.
This breakfast recipe can be made in a variety of ways. You can change the veggies, cheese and meat to what you prefer. Add your favorite toppings and side dishes for a complete meal idea.
What Size of Crock Pot to Use?
This breakfast casserole perfect to feed large crowds or a large family. I like to prepare this casserole in a 6-quart crock pot but you can use smaller if you prefer. Make sure to half the ingredients so everything fits.
Depending on the size of slow cooker that you use, you may need to adjust you cooking time.
- Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes
- Green Onions
- Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
How To make Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole:
Step 1 – Cook Sausage – I use a large skillet to cook the ground sausage first. You can also cook sausage in the slow cooker, if your slow cooker has that option.
Step 2 – Prepare Slow Cooker – We recommend to grease a 6qt slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use slow cooker liners.
- Step 3 – Layer the Ingredients – Place half of the hash browns and sausage in the slow cooker. Add in onions, cheese and peppers. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Step 4 – Combine Eggs with seasoning – Whisk eggs, milk, and salt & pepper in a medium bowl.
- Step 5 – Pour Egg Mixture – Pour egg mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Step 6 – Cover and Cook – Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or high for 2 ½ – 3 hours.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – This breakfast casserole can be prepared the night before or in the morning. Serve with your favorite sides and toppings for a delicious breakfast.
How do you know when Casserole is done cooking?
Cooking time will varied base on your slow cooker and the ingredients. The breakfast casserole may be golden brown on top but still have a soft center.
I like to check to make the center is cooked but slicing with a knife to peak if the center is cooked. If there are no signs of runny eggs, then your breakfast casserole is cooked through.
Breakfast Casserole in a Crock Pot Recipe Tips:
- Coat Slow Cooker – For the best results we recommend coating the slow cooker with cooking spray. This helps for serving and for an easy clean up. You can also line the slow cooker with crock pot liners.
- Preparing Vegetables – A great way to prepare this recipe ahead of time is to clean and chop vegetables. You can easily freeze vegetables for an easy addition to many different recipes. Make sure to chop in about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Layering Ingredients – Evenly layer the ingredients in the slow cooker. This ensures that every bite is delicious and is prepared evenly.
- Meal Prep – This is a great recipe to meal prep with. When you are preparing your dinners for the week, make this breakfast casserole. You can store in individual portions for a quick breakfast that everyone will enjoy.
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole Crockpot Recipe?
Everything you need for breakfast is in the crock pot. You have sausage, eggs and hash browns. You can serve with many different sides and these are some of our favorites.
- Fruit Salad – You really do not need much else but maybe some fresh fruit. We love this Easy Tropical Fruit Salad.
- Biscuits and Gravy – We also love this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. This recipe is so good and a great addition to your brunch or holiday breakfast.
- Toppings – This breakfast casserole is hearty and filling, but we love to add our favorite toppings. Serve with diced avocado, sour cream, salsa, and diced green onions.
Variations to Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole:
- Sausage – Feel free to add in different types of breakfast sausage. Try spicy sausage to add a little heat or Italian sausage for savory flavor.
- Diced Ham – Diced ham is a great addition to this recipe. You can even substitute the ham for sausage. We have even added in chopped bacon for a great substitution.
- Vegetarian – Omit the meat for Meatless Monday or a delicious vegetarian option. Load the casserole with vegetables such as mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and broccoli.
- Shredded Hash Browns – Try different types of hash browns to add to this casserole. There is diced, chopped and more. We put the hash browns in frozen for an easy hashbrown casserole.
- Use different types of cheese– Feel free to change the cheese or add in different flavors. Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack and others are all delicious.
- Add Vegetables – Add diced onion to the bell pepper mixture. Green chiles is also a great addition.
Can I Prepare Ahead of time?
Yes, this breakfast casserole can be prepared ahead of time. Prepare it ahead of time especially if you are serving for a Christmas morning. You can also cook on high on Christmas morning so it is ready after opening presents.
You can also cook this casserole on low and meal prep for the week. This casserole reheats easily so it makes for a quick breakfast on the go.
Can I Freeze Breakfast Casserole?
Yes, this breakfast casserole freezes great. Prepare the casserole as the recipe indicates then allow it to cool completely. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
We recommend freezing in individual sizes to enjoy for a quick breakfast. When you are ready to serve, allow the casserole to thaw overnight and then reheat.
How to Reheat Leftover Breakfast Casserole:
If you have a small portion to reheat, place in a microwave safe dish and reheat in the microwave. I like to heat in 1 minute intervals so that it doesn’t overheat.
How to Store Crockpot Egg Casserole Leftovers:
Store you leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge. This breakfast casserole will last about 4 days if stored properly.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- Crock pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Easy Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Crock pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
Print Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe:
Crock pot Breakfast Casserole
- Grease a 6qt slow cooker.
- Place half of the hash browns, sausage, onions, cheese and peppers. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and salt & pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or high for 2 ½ – 3 hours.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe