I have the best Sausage Balls Recipe to share with you. This is one of my favorite appetizers to cook for parties, holidays and more. These are super easy to make and delicious too!
Easy Sausage Balls Recipe
Whenever we have a get-together, the first food item that is on the list are these Easy Sausage Balls! My family and friends just expect them to be served along with my Little Smokies! As far back as I can remember, these two recipes are part of our holiday traditions.
Sausage Balls are good anytime of the day! You can serve them for breakfast, lunch, or as a snack! They are the perfect appetizer or side to serve for the holidays or your next game day get-together!
How to freeze sausage balls:
There are a couple of ways you can freeze sausage balls. The first way is to freeze them uncooked. You combine the ingredients and then roll them in a ball.
Place each sausage ball separately on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen then you can place them in a bag and place back in the freezer.
Once you are ready to cook some, simply place them on a cookie sheet and defrost them before cooking them.
The second way you can freeze sausage balls, is to freeze the cooked sausage balls and then just reheat them in the microwave and they become an instant snack!
Either way you freeze them, they still turn out to be a great appetizer! It is the perfect way to plan ahead for a party. You can make up a batch and then bake them on the day of the party! Which saves you so much time!
Do you need dipping sauce?
I would not really add any dipping sauce to this. the Italian sausage has enough flavor to make these work alone.
Maybe a simple marinara or pizza sauce if you want to continue the Italian flavor. We have a Homemade Pizza Sauce that we love. It’s so easy and better than any store bought sauce you might buy.
These are really pretty with the small wooden cocktail forks. It makes eating and dipping them in any sauces you have super easy!
Tip for making Sausage Balls Recipe:
I use these stainless steel baking scoops and it makes forming the sausage balls even easier. The baking scoops set includes several different sizes so you can choose the one you need. I use these for so many recipes!
Using this scoop really helps cut down the prep time. I can have these mixed and put together in about 30 minutes!
A Great Appetizer:
Sausage Balls are a great appetizer. Appetizers are fun to make for family and friends get-together or sometimes, my kids like it when I serve different appetizers for dinner. They like the variety and its fun to make to have for movie night!
Sausage Cheese Balls Recipe
These little bite size sausage balls will be the hit of the party. Let’s get started making these yummy appetizers! These sausage balls are so much better than the bisquick sausage balls! You just have to give them a try!
- Baking Powder
- Italian sausage roll or pork sausage
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Onion
- Garlic Powder
How do you make Sausage Balls from scratch?
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
3. Add flour mix, sausage, shredded cheese, onion and garlic powder to a large bowl. Mix well. I like to start with a spoon and then finish with my hands. You may initially think the ratio of ingredients are way off. There will be lots of cheese that doesn’t seem to mix into the sausage. But if you continue to mix with your hands, it will eventually all come together.
4. Form sausage mix into 1″ balls and place onto a baking sheet.. ( I use baking scoops to make this really easy) For easy cleanup, I like to place parchment paper down. Baking sheets with parchment paper makes it so easy to get the dishes done.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 15- 20 minutes or until golden brown in the preheated oven.
Note: This recipe makes about 3 dozen sausage balls .
Why are my sausage balls crumbly?
Sausage Balls will dry out quickly if there is a lot of flour and baking soda compare to the sausage. Make sure to follow the recipe so that your ratio’s are correct.
You can add a little less flour if they seem to be crumble. I have also tried adding a little cream cheese to the mix as well to help the mixture stay together.
Make sure that you mix all your ingredients together thoroughly. I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it mixes everything nicely therefore it prevents them from getting dried out.
How to store and reheat:
Sausage Balls are great leftover! You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven set at 350 degrees F.
My kids loving having these leftovers as they are a quick snack as they head out to practice. I love them with my morning coffee in the morning. You can’t go wrong having these in your meal prep for the week!
Print the Sausage Cheese Balls Recipe below:
Easy Sausage Balls Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb Italian sausage roll (16 oz)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Onion (Diced into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add flour mix, sausage, cheese, onion and garlic powder to a bowl. Mix well. I like to start with a spoon and then finish with my hands. You may initially think the ratio of ingredients are way off. There will be lots of cheese that doesn’t seem to mix into the sausage. But if you continue to mix with your hands, it will eventually all come together.
- Form sausage mix into 1″ balls and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
How to change it up!
This is one of my go to recipes for parties and holidays because it’s so easy to freeze these ahead.
Here are a few ways that you can change up this recipe to make it work for your family!
- If you like spicy, make these sausage balls with hot sausage and shredded pepper jack cheese. Using these ingredients add a delicious kick to this recipe.
- This recipe can easily be made with 1:1 gluten free flour to make these sausage balls gluten free.
- You can also make these with turkey sausage for a healthier option as it lowers the fat and calories in these sausage balls.
More easy appetizer recipes:
- Garlic and Onion Cheese Ball Recipe
- Easy Candied Bacon Recipe
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball Recipe
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza Appetizer
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles