This Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich is ready in less than 10 minutes. The buttered bread with melted cheese and ham toasted to perfection is the best comfort food.
Grilled ham and cheese sandwich
There is something about a Grilled Cheese that is so comforting to eat. It is the perfect meal any day of the week. With just a couple of slices of bread and minimum ingredients, everyone can enjoy a fabulous Grilled Ham and Cheese.
The simple addition of ham makes this sandwich hearty and delicious. Even your biggest eaters will feel satisfied with so much tasty ham. We also make Ham and Cheese Sliders for another quick and easy meal to try.
Let’s make this delicious Grilled Ham and Cheese for a total time from stove to table in less than 10 minutes.
- Slices Artisan Bread. Artisan bread is thick and perfect for this.
- Shaved Black Forest Ham. You can used sliced ham or ask the deli to shave it thin.
- Cheddar Cheese. Cheddar is our favorite but feel free to use any type of cheese you love.
- Butter. Make sure to use real butter. It will enhance the flavor.
How to make grilled ham and cheese:
Step 1 – Heat a pan or griddle using medium heat.
Step 2 – Butter one side of each slide of bread. One side of each slice of bread should be buttered on the work surface before starting.
Step 3 – Place one side of each slide of bread butter side down.
Step 4 – Add cheese and ham. Top with the 2nd piece of bread (butter side out).
Step 5 – Heat the sandwich. Each side needs about 3-5 minutes until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown and the cheese melts. Flip and cook the opposite side sandwich for 3-5 minutes.
Step 6 – Remove the sandwich from the heat. Let the sandwich rest for for a few minutes so that the cheese is not too hot. Cut in half and enjoy! Feel free to salt and pepper to taste.
What condiments go good on a ham sandwich?
- Dijon mustard
- Brown mustard
- Honey Mustard
- Cheese – You can easily make this sandwich with your favorite type of cheese. Some tasty ideas include, swiss cheese, provolone, Colby, American cheese or combine several types. Cheddar is my favorite but each of these others provide a nice change of flavor.
- Bread – Sour Dough, white bread and wheat bread also taste delicious in this easy ham and grilled cheese sandwich recipe. Get creative and use leftover croissants and English Muffins. The options are endless.
- Meat. Try substituting turkey instead of ham. It is equally yummy and perfect when you have leftover turkey to use.
What to serve with grilled ham and cheese?
- Fruit Salad – Fresh fruit is a light side to pair with the heaviness of Grilled Cheese. The lime is refreshing and adds the perfect amount of flavor.
- Side Salad. Toss together a few of your favorite salad greens for the perfect pairing to a grilled cheese.
- Homemade French Fries – This popular menu item is a kid favorite. It is easy and budget friendly to make in minutes.
- Pickles. I love to serve these with a few dill pickle spears. The crispy pickles combined with the grilled cheese is amazing.
What type of ham is best for ham and cheese grilled?
We used black forest ham because we already had it. It combines nicely with the cheese and tastes great.
Black Forest ham is so yummy sliced or you can ask the deli to shave it really thin. Either option is amazing.
You can also use:
- Honey Ham. This adds a touch of sweetness to the grilled cheese.
- Black Peppered Ham. The pepper adds some heat and spice to the sandwich.
- Spiral Ham. If you are cooking a ham, use the leftovers to make ham and cheese sandwiches on the griddle.
This recipe is great for lunch or dinner.
This simple recipe is so easy to make but always wins over a crowd. There is something very comforting about a grilled cheese.
Our entire family loves it and the addition of ham makes it filling and delicious. The recipe is budget friendly and easy to make. There is so much to love about this recipe.
The next time you need a quick meal, try this for a winner. Everyone will love this meal packed with comfort food ingredients. Kids and adults will both love this grilled sandwich.
Print Grilled ham and cheese sandwich recipe:
Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- 2 Slices Artisan Bread
- 3 oz Shaved Black Forest Ham
- 2 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat a fry pan or griddle over medium high heat. Butter one side of each of the pieces of bread with the butter.
- Place one piece of bread on the fry pan or griddle butter side down. Top the bread with a slice of cheese and layer the ham on top. Then place the remaining slice of cheese on top of the ham and top with the 2nd piece of bread (butter side out).
- Heat the sandwich for 3-5 minutes until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown. Flip and cook the opposite side sandwich for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the sandwich to a plate. Let the sandwich rest for for a few minutes so that the cheese is not too hot. Cut in half and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy sandwich recipes:
- Chicken Cucumber Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Turkey Sandwich recipe
- Pimento cheese sandwich
- Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe