This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make the most delicious Pimento Cheese sandwich in minutes. This Southern classic is perfect for picnics, luncheons and more.
Whether you grew up in the South or not, this Pimento cheese sandwich recipe is a must try. It has the perfect blend of cheese, mayo and seasonings and can easily be found at the grocery store.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe:
I’m extremely picky about Pimento cheese. It can’t have too much mayonnaise or be too dry. The cheese blend has to be just right. I definitely prefer when sharp cheddar is used and consider it a non negotiable.
I usually find something wrong with store bought pimento cheese because it has to be just right. Needless to say, this recipe is just perfect. You are going to love it because we did all the work to get it just right.
If you love pimento cheese as much as do, then you are going to love this Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs.
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Cream Cheese
- Pimento Peppers
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Sliced White Bread
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom to see the recipe card.
- Spices – Add cayenne pepper if you like a little heat but omit if you prefer a traditional pimento cheese. Check out Best Cayenne Pepper Substitute if you don’t like to use cayenne. We even like to add in salt and pepper and onion powder for added flavor.
- Vegetables – Add red bell peppers or roasted red peppers to the cheese mixture and enjoy this way. Veggie lovers will like this.
- Cheese – Feel free to use different types of cheese. I have even added in Pepper Jack Cheese for added flavor.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Put all of the ingredients (except for the bread) in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 2 – Use a hand held mixer or stir by hand to get everything well combined. If you are doing this by hand, make sure to use a sturdy spoon. You can also use a food processor to help get everything combined.
- Step 3 – Make your sandwich by spooning pimento cheese on the slices of bread. Cut and enjoy.
- Shredded Cheese – I suggest taking a few extra minutes to grate the cheese yourself. It has a different consistency then bags of shredded cheese and the pimento cheese will turn out much better.
- Cream Cheese – Make sure to use full fat cream cheese. Now isn’t the time to try light or fat free.
- Drain Pimento – Drain the piment well before mixing with other ingredients. No one likes runny pimento cheese.
- Mayonnaise – Use a good quality mayo. Most people are pretty loyal to one brand so just use what you love. You may even try Greek Yogurt for a lighter option.
Pimento cheese isn’t just for sandwiches. Try some of these ideas.
- Burger – Top your burger with this yummy pimento cheese spread.
- Grilled Cheese – Make a grilled cheese with pimento cheese.
- Homemade Biscuits – Add to breakfast biscuits. This is great on bacon biscuits.
- Serve with Crackers – Eat with crackers as a dip. Pickles and olives go great with this too.
- Make a Dip – Heat the pimento cheese in the oven and serve as a hot dip with celery sticks, tortilla chips or pita chips. Once out of the oven, top with a little spicy tomato jam before serving.
- Quesadilla – Try it on a quesadilla. You can use it as a topping or enjoy alone. Either way, it is the best.
- Tomatoes – This is delicious with fried green tomatoes. You can serve it on top of the tomatoes as an appetizer.
- BLT– This is a little different than a traditional BLT. Add bacon, fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese to toasted bread. Slice and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Pimento cheese will last about 5 days if stored properly..
We do not recommend freezing pimento cheese because when it thaws the texture may change.
Pimento cheese is great to make in advance as it taste even better the next days. The ingredients marinate together to make the best pimento cheese sandwich.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes:
- Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Pinwheel Sandwiches Recipe
- Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Easy Chicken Salad
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Egg salad sandwich recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this Pimento Cheese Sandwich, please leave us a star review.
Pimento cheese sandwich
- Place all the ingredients except for the bread in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together with a hand held mixer or by hand with a sturdy spoon until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the pimento cheese mixture onto 6 of the slices of bread and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe