Oh man, do I have a super yummy treat to share with you today! If you like chocolate or cupcakes or Twix or all of the above, you have to try these homemade Twix bars cupcakes. These are so good, but not at all difficult.
Easy Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes
Ok…I need to know, are you a chocolate lover? I feel like people either LOVE or HATE chocolate. I definitely love it! I can’t resist anything with chocolate in it and these candy bar cupcakes are definitely not an exception.
These cupcakes combines two of my all time favorite things….chocolate and caramel! If you love Twix bars, you are going to love these cupcakes. They have all the traditional flavors of Twix but in the cupcake form and I love topping each one with a bite size Twix bar for an added flavor and crunch.
I hope you try these cupcakes and that you enjoy them as much as my family and I do!
Supplies needed for Twix Cupcakes:
- Cupcake Liners – I love to use these silicone cupcake liners. I love that I can reuse these over and over again. If silicone liners aren’t your thing, you can find a variety of fun cupcake liners on Amazon.
- Piping bag – I like to use Wilton throw away bags to make clean up super easy.
- Mixer – I love my kitchen aid stand mixer but a hand held mixer is great too.
Before you start making these cupcakes, make sure you have all of the materials you need. I don’t know why, but I never seem to have cupcake liners when I need them.
Now, when I make cupcakes for home, I like to use my silicone liners, but if I am making these homemade Twix bars cupcakes for a party, I need some cute cupcake liners. Learn from my lack of preparedness and just order a bunch from Amazon so you always have them on hand.
Mini lecture over, let’s get to the heart of the matter. Make your shopping list and get to baking these yummy cupcakes.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- Granulated Sugar
- Pure Vanilla
- Whole Milk
How to make Twix cupcakes:
Directions for the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a different bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and egg until well blended.
4. Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
5. Add in milk and mix again.
6. Evenly distribute the batter into the cupcake liners.
7. Bake at 350 F for 21-24 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed down. Remove to wire racks to cool before frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
1. In a mixing bowl with a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix together.
2. If frosting looks like pebbles (too dry), add another tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
3. If frosting is to thin, add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
4. Once frosting is at a thick consistency, pipe onto cooled cupcakes and drizzle with caramel sauce, then top with a Twix.
***Note: This delicious caramel frosting really makes this cupcake. However, if you can’t find caramel extract in your area, this cupcake is great topped with traditional vanilla or chocolate frosting too.
More candy bar ideas:
Now that you know how to make these easy cupcakes, you can mix it up and top it with your favorite candy bar instead of a Twix bar. Just make sure that it’s a candy bar that goes well with chocolate and caramel.
Here are a few of my favorite that I love to use with these cupcakes.
- Heath Bars
- Crunch Bars
- Kit Kats
It’s also fun to get a party size bag of candy bars and top each cupcake with a different mini candy bar for a party or get together. This way everyone will get a cupcake topped with their favorite type of candy bar!
How to store:
I love these when made fresh but you can also make these ahead of time too. To store, make sure that the cupcakes have cooled completely as if they are still warm, they will release steam in storage which will make the tops of the cupcakes sticky.
Also, store the cupcakes in a an air tight container so that the cupcakes do not dry out. I use a cupcake carrier that fits approximately a dozen cupcakes and allows for plenty of room for the cupcakes to fit and breath.
Plus store the cupcakes at room temperature instead of in the refrigerator. I think that the refrigerator dries out of the cupcakes. If you make the cupcakes ahead of time, I recommend waiting to frosting the cupcakes until you are ready to serve them.
Don’t these cupcakes just make your mouth water? I am totally craving chocolate now – and we don’t have any of these homemade Twix bars cupcakes left. 🙁 I guess it’s time for me to make some more!
Make sure you try some of our delicious cupcakes. I know you will find more your family will love.
Oh my – you are going to love these Homemade twix bar cupcakes! They are so easy to make and these twix cupcakes taste amazing!
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 Cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 Cup cocoa
- 1/2 Cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon pure vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup whole milk
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 3 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon caramel extract
- 3 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
Directions for Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
In a different bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and egg until well blended.
Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
Add in milk and mix again.
Evenly distribute the batter into the cupcake liners.
Bake at 350 F for 21-24 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed down. Remove to wire racks to cool before frosting.
In a mixing bowl with a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix together.
If frosting looks like pebbles (too dry), add another tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
If frosting is to thin, add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
Once frosting is at a thick consistency, pipe onto cooled cupcakes and drizzle with caramel sauce, then top with a Twix.
Feel free to substitute the Twix for your favorite candy bar.