If you love Orange Soda, you are going to love this delicious and easy Orange Soda Cupcakes. They combine homemade vanilla cupcakes with Orange Crush soda frosting to make delicious cupcakes that no one can resist!
Easy Orange Cupcakes
I love cupcakes! Please tell me I’m not the only one. I love all types of cupcakes and I really haven’t met a cupcake I didn’t like. These Orange Crush Cupcakes are definitely no exception. The vanilla cupcakes are perfectly fluffy and the frosting has the best orange flavor!
Make sure you try some of our delicious cupcakes. I know you will find more your family will love.
These cupcakes are great to make anytime of year. Just change the type of cupcake liner you use and they will fit with any party scheme. Whether you are planning a baby shower, a birthday party or just a weekend get-together, these cupcakes will be the highlight of the party.
I make an easy, moist homemade vanilla cupcake for this recipe. I find that making vanilla cupcakes from scratch is easy to do and worth the effort. They taste amazing and it’s much harder then mixing together cake mix, egg and oil!
Ok…Are you ready to make these Orange Soda Cupcakes?
Supplies for orange cupcake:
- Cupcake Liners – I love to use these silicone cupcake liners. I love that I can reuse these over and over again. If silicone liners aren’t your thing, you can find a variety of fun cupcake liners on Amazon.
- Piping bag – I like to use Wilton throw away bags to make clean up super easy.
- Mixer – I love my kitchen aid stand mixer but a hand mixer is great too.
Ingredients Needed for the Vanilla Cupcakes:
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Butter, softened
- Egg Whites
- Vanilla Extract
Ingredients needed for the Orange Soda Frosting:
- Unsalted Butter, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Orange Crush soda
- Orange food coloring (I prefer the gel food coloring as it gives the frosting a more vibrant color.)
Why Buttermilk instead of milk?
I love using buttermilk in this recipe instead of milk or vegetable oil. The buttermilk gives the cupcakes a softer texture and more body. I also love the flavor that it adds to these delicious and easy vanilla cupcakes.
How to make Orange Soda Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with your favorite paper liners.
2. Then sift together the dry ingredients( flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Next beat together the butter and sugar with a mixer (stand up or hand held mixer) on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
4. Add in an egg and egg whites, one at a time beat after each addition and then add in vanilla.
5. Whisk in the buttermilk by hand.
6. Slowly mix together the dry ingredient and buttermilk mixture until well blended. Be careful to not over mix these ingredients.
7. Fill your cupcake liners ¾ full.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 minutes-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
10. Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack to cool completely. While your cupcakes are cooling, make your Orange Crush frosting!
Orange Crush Frosting Directions:
1. Cream all of your ingredients together in a medium size bowl until smooth. Slowly add drops of orange food color and mix between each one until the frosting is the orange color that you prefer.
2. You want your frosting to be thick enough to stand up. If it isn’t thick enough, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more soda. Be sure to mix well after each addition.
3. Once the frosting is ready, scoop it into a pastry bag with a large decorating tip.
4. Decorate to suit your taste. I topped mine with these adorable striped straws and everyone loved them!
How to store:
I love these when made fresh but you can also make these ahead of time too. To store, make sure that the cupcakes have cooled completely as if they are still warm, they will release steam in storage which will make the tops of the cupcakes sticky.
Also, store the cupcakes in a an air tight container so that the cupcakes do not dry out. I use a cupcake carrier that fits approximately a dozen cupcakes and allows for plenty of room for the cupcakes to fit and breath.
Plus store the cupcakes at room temperature instead of in the refrigerator. I think that the refrigerator dries out of the cupcakes. If you make the cupcakes ahead of time, I recommend waiting to frosting the cupcakes until you are ready to serve them.
I love these cupcakes made with Orange Crush Soda but any flavor of Crush Soda would be delicious in this recipe. Crush Grape Soda, Crush Strawberry Soda or Crush Cherry Soda would make a delicious frosting for this cupcake recipe. It would also be fun to make a variety of them for your next party!
If you can’t find Orange Crush Soda in your area, you can mix in 1 teaspoon of orange extract into the frosting instead to give the icing the rich orange flavor.
Print the Recipe here:
Orange Soda cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Orage Soda Frosting:
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter (room temp)
- 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5 TBSP Orange Crush soda
- orange gel food coloring
- Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with your favorite paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whip the butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add in an egg and egg whites, one at a time. Add in vanilla.
- Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Slowly mix together flour and buttermilk mixture until well blended. Do not over mix.
- Fill your cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack to cool completely. While your cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting.
- Orange Crush Frosting Directions:
- Cream all of your ingredients together until smooth.
- You want your frosting to be thick enough to stand up. If it isn’t thick enough, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more soda. Be sure to mix well after each addition.
- Once the frosting is ready, scoop it into a pastry bag with a large decorating tip.
- Decorate to suit your taste.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy cupcake recipes to try:
- Easy Easter Basket Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
- Delicious Key Lime Cupcakes
- 80 Calories Cupcake – The Best Skinny Cupcake Recipe
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Delicious Key Lime Cupcakes
- Girl Scout Thin Mint Cupcakes Recipe
- Homemade Twix Bar Cupcakes
- S’mores Cupcakes