This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
How to Make Sausage Gravy with simple ingredients. This homemade sausage gravy recipe is loaded with flavor and delicious served over homemade biscuits.
How to Make The Best Sausage Gravy Recipe:
This sausage gravy recipe is delicious and the best comfort food. It is made with simple ingredients and is the perfect weekend breakfast idea. You can serve this gravy over Homemade biscuits or toast.
Take your breakfast to the next level with this homemade sausage gravy recipe. We love to serve this with a side of eggs, hash browns and pancakes. These easy steps will have your family cheering for more.
This sausage gravy recipe is made from scratch and only require a few simple ingredients. If you are looking for an easy Sausage Gravy recipe, this is the one to make.
What is Sausage Gravy?
Sausage Gravy is a southern dish that is popular in the United States. Sausage crumbles are cooked and then removed. A roux is formed with butter, flour, and milk.
The sausage is added back in to create a thick gravy. That is delicious served over buttermilk biscuits, hash browns and toast.
- Breakfast Sausage
- All Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Black Pepper
How to Make Homemade Sausage Gravy:
- Step 1 – Cook Sausage – Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat with deep sides. Break up the sausage as it cooks. Do not drain off the excess grease.
- Step 2 – Add Butter – Turn the heat down to medium-low heat. Add the butter to the pan and melt the butter.
- Step 3 – Add Flour – Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage. Then stir to coat the sausage with the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Step 4 – Stir in Milk – Slowly stir in the milk. Continue to cook on a low simmer for 3-5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Step 5 – Scrape Pan – Make sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the pan. This make sure that the flour and sausage does not stick to the pan.
- Step 6 – Season Gravy to taste – Then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm over your favorite biscuits and enjoy!
Why we Love this Sausage Gravy Recipe:
- Easy Recipe – This recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients. Kids and adults love this recipe for an easy breakfast idea.
- Quick breakfast idea – With simple steps this pork breakfast sausage gravy can be made within about 15 minutes.
- Hearty Breakfast – If you are looking rich, hearty and filling breakfast before heading out for the day, make sausage gravy.
- Made from Scratch – There is nothing better than a homemade gravy recipe. Packet gravy is loaded with ingredients that are not necessary.
- Mixing gravy – We recommend using a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together.
- Cooking Sausage – While cooking the sausage, break it up in small pieces. This helps to combine the gravy mixture easily with the sausage.
- Making the Roux – Making the roux is combination of the melted butter, flour and milk. You want to add the milk slowly to the desired consistency forms.
- Scrape the Pan – As you are cooking the gravy, make sure you are scraping the sides. This make sure that the sausage and flour are not sticking to the sides.
- Milk – To make this recipe we recommend using whole milk.
Sausage Gravy Variations:
- Change the Sausage – We used pork sausage in this recipe but you can easily use turkey sausage. You can also use spicy pork sausage if your family loves the extra spice.
- Seasoning – Feel free to add in additional seasoning to add extra flavoring. Chop up onions, add in garlic powder or red pepper flakes. These are delicious option and always requested from my family.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Biscuits and gravy also freeze well. We recommend putting the gravy in a freezer bag and the biscuits in another freezer bag. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can make the gravy the night before. When ready to reheat, place in a skillet over medium low heat and add a splash a milk and stir.
The sausage gravy will thicken as it cooks. It may seem thin at first, just continue cooking until it thickens. We do not recommend adding more flour.
As the milk cooks out the gravy will continue to thicken.
The main difference between the two is that country gravy is not made with meat. The gravy is started with melted butter instead of grease. I usually make country gravy when I make fried chicken or chicken fried steak.
Print Recipe for How to Make Sausage Gravy:
How to Make Sausage Gravy
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with deep sides over medium high heat. Break up the sausage as it cooks. Do not drain off the excess grease.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the butter to the pan and melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the sausage with the flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and continue to cook on a low simmer for 3-5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Make sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the pan to make sure that the flour and sausage does not stick to the pan.
- Then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm over your favorite biscuits and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe