This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Candied Yams is a quick and easy way to make this holiday side dish. It is cooked with simple ingredients for amazing flavor.
Easy Instant Pot Candied Yams Recipe:
Instant Pot holiday side dish recipes always help me with getting our dinner done. It saves oven space and time by how quickly the instant pot cooks. The flavor is amazing and turns yams into a delicious Thanksgiving side dish.
Candied yams is a classic side dish recipe that we serve every year. I have always baked them in a casserole dish or the slow cooker. But using the instant pot is my new favorite way to make them.
Whether you are cooking them for the holidays or with as a summertime side dish, they are always a crowd favorite. The sweet warm spices really makes this dish taste amazing.
What is the Difference Between Sweet Potatoes and Yams?
Sweet potatoes are more common to purchase at the grocery store than yams. Sweet potatoes skin texture is smooth, with a sweet orange flesh. Yams texture is rough and almost like bark.
Yams are not as sweet as sweet potatoes and are not as common as sweet potatoes. Whether you choose yams or sweet potatoes it makes the ultimate side dish.
- Medium sized yams peeled & sliced ½ inch thick
- Brown Sugar
- Salted Butter
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
How to Make Instant Pot Candied Yams:
- Step 1 – Add Trivet and Water – In an instant pot Place the trivet and ½ cup of water.
- Step 2 – Add Sweet Potato Chunks – Place the peel and sliced yams on top.
- Step 3 – Combine Seasoning – In a small bowl combine brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.
- Step 4 – Add Seasoning – Sprinkle seasoning mixture over the yams.
- Step 5 – Add Butter – Top with sliced butter on top of the yams.
- Step 6 – Cover and Cook – Add the lid and pressure cooker for 8 minutes. Do a quick release method to release pressure or a natural pressure release.
- Step 7 – Toss Mixture – Remove the trivet and toss the sweet potatoes in the mixture.
- Step 8 – Serve – If it is too runny, mix 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water. Mix into the mixture and heat until thickened.
Candied Yams Instant Pot Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes – Make sure when preparing the sweet potatoes that they are cut about the same size. This ensures that they cook about the same size.
- High Pressure – Cook the yams on high pressure for best results.
- Combine Mixture – After cooking the yams with the seasoning, mix the ingredients together. This ensures the yams are fully covered with the brown sugar mixture.
Candied Yams Recipe Instant Pot Variation Ideas:
- Nuts – When serving you can top the candied yams with chopped pecans or chopped walnuts.
- Tangy Flavor – You can easily add in orange juice for a tangy flavor.
- Rich Flavor – Feel free to mix the yams with maple syrup, molasses, or honey. You can also use white sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Vegan Option – If you are needing to make this vegan, you can use vegan butter instead of salted butter.
Can I Make in the Oven?
Yes, you can still make this classic side dish in the oven.
- Prepare the yams as indicated on the recipe card then place in a casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
If your yams are fork tender at the end of cooking time, then they are finished cooking. This sweet potato recipes are just as delicious in the oven.
How to Serve Candied Yams:
Instant Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes cooks perfectly in the instant pot. You can easily place the ingredients in the instant pot and have it do all the work. You can serve it has a holiday meal side dish or with your next grilled menu.
Here are some of our favorite ways to serve this delicious side. Place it in a serving dish to serve as a side dish or as a dessert.
- Mini Marshmallows – At the end of cooking time, feel free top the mixture with mini marshmallows. This makes the perfect Thanksgiving side dish with roasted turkey.
- Shredded Coconut – If you love coconut, add it to the top for a sweet twist on a classic recipe.
- Whipped Cream – Whipped cream is another option and makes the perfect after dinner dessert.
- Chocolate Syrup – Try these candied yams with chocolate syrup spread over the top. I love to add warm vanilla extract for a delicious dessert.
Why are My Candied Yams Runny?
If your candied yams come out runny, you may need to add a corn starch slurry or a flour. This will help to thicken up the sauce. You will add 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water.
Stir into the mixture and heat until thickened. Then serve with your holiday meal.
How to Store Leftovers:
- Storing – Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge when it has been cooled to room temperature. These leftovers will last about 5 days.
- Freeze – Candied Yams can also be placed in the freezer. Place in a freezer safe container. You many need to add a teaspoon of lemon juice to prevent discoloration. If the candied yams are stored properly, they will last about 3 months.
- Reheating – When you are ready to serve again, allow the candied yams to thaw overnight in the fridge. Place the thawed candied yams in a casserole dish and reheat in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Heat for about 15 minutes.
Print Recipe for Instant Pot Candied Yams:
Instant Pot Candied Yams
- In an instant pot, place the trivet and ½ cup of water.
- Place the peeled and sliced yams on top.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.
- Sprinkle over the yams.
- Top with sliced butter.
- Add the list and pressure cook for 8 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Remove the trivet and toss the sweet potatoes in the mixture.
- If it is too runny, mix 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water. Mix into the mixture and heat until thickened.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Homemade Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Recipe