This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy fajitas any day of the week when you make this Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Recipe in just minutes. Tons of tender chicken, flavorful veggies and more make dinner amazing.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Recipe:
Mexican Monday just got a lot easier! If you love fajitas, this recipe is sure to be a hit. Plus, thanks to the pressure cooker, it is so quick to make. The chicken comes out full of flavor with the fajita seasoning.
You can literally get dinner on the table in hardly no time at all. In just 20 minutes, you can have dinner ready to go for your family. The chicken is cooked tender and juicy with the bell peppers.
The combination of these ingredients make for the best chicken fajitas. We love that we can serve them in a soft taco shell or on rice. These Instant Pot Chicken Fajita’s are a family favorite and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
Easy Fajita Seasoning:
We recommend using our Homemade Fajita Seasoning for the seasoning mixture. You can easily use the seasoning packet from the store. But this Fajita Seasoning blend is easy to make and you probably already have all the ingredients.
We love making our own seasoning blend. I know exactly what I am adding to the seasoning blend. The packets purchased at the store have added ingredients that I can’t even pronounce.
You can easily adjust the spices to what you have on hand. Add more or less depending on how spicy you want it. Making your own seasoning saves your money and time.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salsa (we used picante)
- Chicken Broth
- Taco Seasoning (we make homemade taco seasoning)
- Bell Peppers
- Flour Tortillas
How to Cook Chicken Fajitas in the Instant Pot:
If you can throw a few ingredients in the pressure cooker, you can make this meal for dinner. Just put everything in the instant pot except for the bell peppers.
- Add ingredients to the Instant Pot – Place the chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, and broth in the instant pot.
- Add the lid – Set the valve to sealing.
- Pressure Cook – Set the pressure (high pressure for 20 minutes).
- Quick Release – Do a quick release to release the pressure. Stir to combine.
- Add in the green bell peppers and onions. Add the lid back on and set the pressure for 2 minutes.
- Quick Release – Do quick release again to remove the pressure.
- Stir, Serve and Enjoy – Stir to combine the shredded chicken. Serve on flour tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Instant Pot Recommendation:
We love using our instant pot especially when I forget to set something out for dinner. I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart. I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it.
No worries if you do not have a pressure cooker yet. Try our Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas.
Chicken Fajitas Instant Pot Tips:
- Homemade Seasoning – We recommend using homemade seasoning. It taste better on the chicken and makes them so flavorful.
- Mixing Seasoning with Chicken – If you prefer, you can mix the chicken with the fajita seasoning in a separate bowl. Then add the chicken to the instant pot. This ensure that chicken is covered with the fajita seasoning.
- Layer in Instant Pot – Place chicken in the instant pot a straight way. This is the way they cook so it easier to load your taco shell.
- Extra Liquid – We recommend not skipping on adding the broth to the instant pot with the chicken. This keeps the chicken juicy and not getting a burn notice on your instant pot.
- Quick Release – Use the quick release option on the instant pot. If you use the natural release the peppers could get mushy.
- Heat Tortillas – I like to warm the tortilla before serving the fajitas.
- Cut into Strips – To prepare the chicken for the instant pot, we recommend cutting the chicken breast into strips. We recommend slicing the chicken about the strips. This makes it easier to cook.
- Meat Thermometer – Cook chicken until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Cook time will vary based on how thick your chicken is.
- Cook Chicken First – When making these chicken fajitas, we recommend cooking the chicken first and then adding in the peppers. If you cook the peppers as long as the chicken they will become mushy.
- Low Carb Option – Instead of using a flour tortilla, wrap the chicken and peppers in a lettuce wrap.
- White Rice – You can serve the chicken over white rice for a second meal option.
- Change the Chicken – You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Frozen Chicken – If you have chicken that is not thawed, you can still put in the instant pot for this recipe.
- Air Fryer – You can easily make chicken fajitas in the air fryer. If you haven’t used an air fryer before, we love using for many things.
- Use Beef – Steak Fajitas are always a family favorite as well. We sometimes make both so we have a variety. We like to cook both when we are feeding a crowd.
How to Serve Instant Pot Fajita Chicken:
- Tortilla – Serve these chicken fajita on a Homemade Tortilla.
- White Rice – Serve over white rice or cilantro rice. We love make a taco bowl with this chicken fajita.
- Top on a Salad – For a healthy dinner, serve this chicken fajita on a green salad.
Can I Make Chicken Fajita’s ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this chicken ahead of time and freeze it. We love to meal prep by making meals for the freezer. This way you can easily toss the ingredients in the instant pot or slow cooker and dinner is done.
Chicken Fajitas Topping Ideas:
Our family loves toppings so this is a favorite around here. Enjoy!
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Quick Salsa Verde De Tomatillo
- Simple Guacamole
- Pico de Gallo
- fresh lime
- fresh cilantro
How to Store Leftovers:
We love having leftover chicken fajitas. They taste amazing the next day served over rice or by themselves. Store the fajitas in an air tight container and refrigerate. They will last about 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat Leftovers:
When you want to reheat your leftovers, I recommend putting in a skillet with the peppers and heat on the stove. This makes sure that every thing is heated thoroughly and you have no hot spots.
You can heat in the microwave, just heat in 30 seconds intervals so you don’t over heat.
Print this Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Recipe below:
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2-3 bell peppers sliced
- 12 flour tortillas
- Place the chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, and broth in the instant pot.
- Add the lid – set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pressure (high pressure for 20 minutes).
- Do a quick release to release the pressure. Stir to combine.
- Add in the peppers. Add the lid back on and set the pressure for 2 minutes.
- Do quick release again to remove the pressure.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve on flour tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Ranch Chicken Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe