This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Jambalaya can be ready in under 20 minutes for a dinner that everyone will enjoy. It is packed with Cajun flavor and loaded with delicious sausage, chicken and more for an amazing meal.
Instant Pot Jambalaya
This is one of those recipes that can literally be thrown together in minutes. We love cooking Instant Pot Jambalaya on busy weeknights.
Everyone can enjoy a fabulous meal with very little effort. The Cajun seasoning gives it the best flavor.
The chicken and sausage get so tender and your family will think it was slow cooked all day! The instant pot is amazing and you can get dinner on the table fast on crazy evenings.
What is Jambalaya?
It is a cross between a soup and a stew and just so yummy. All the flavors blend together and it is SO good!
It has just the perfect amount of heat but it isn’t too spicy. The entire family loved it and the kids gobbled it up.
Pressure Cooker Recommendations:
I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart. I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it.
You can find the Instant pot on sale here. It’s really changed dinner time around here.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Jambalaya:
- Chicken Breast
- Cajun Seasoning
- Andouille Sausage
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes – Or diced tomatoes.
- Dried Oregano
- Chicken Broth – You can also use Chicken Stock.
- Cooked Rice
How to make Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe:
- Combine Ingredients – Add chicken and all the ingredients, except for the rice to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients. If you prefer you can add in a bay leaves.
- Pressure Cook – Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. Set to high pressure for 14 minutes.
- Do natural release – After the cook time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot. Be careful with residual heat when removing the lid.
- Serve and Enjoy – Remove the lid and place on paper towel, stir in the cooked rice. Serve warm and enjoy! For a thicker bowl of Jambalaya, use a slotted spoon to serve.
This recipe is amazing and so simple. I love how everything comes together so quickly and you have a really great dinner.
Tips for Instant Pot Jambalaya:
- Sausage – When making any type of jambalaya sausage is always part of the ingredients. We like to get good quality sausage to really enhance the flavors.
- Seasoning – Make sure you add plenty of seasoning especially if you are serving it with rice.
- Garnish your jambalaya – Add some green onions or chopped parsley for some added flavoring.
- Rice – You can use instant rice or long grain rice to mix into the jambalaya.
- Vegetables – When selecting vegetables, make sure to add vegetables that cook about the same time.
- Cooking Meat – If you prefer, you can cook the meat prior to adding to the Instant Pot to lock in the juices.
- Shrimp – If adding in shrimp to your Jambalaya, make sure to use jumbo shrimp. Shrimp doesn’t take long to cook so make sure you are not overcooking the shrimp.
What is the difference between Jambalaya and Gumbo?
Jambalaya and Gumbo dishes are both very popular in the Louisiana area. They are different and the way they are cooked is different also. They can be prepared with cajun or creole seasoning.
Jambalaya is more of a rice dish and gumbo is more of a stew type dish. But their ingredients are similar. They usually both include bell peppers, onion and celery. They type of meat that is usually used is shrimp and sausage slices.
Can I make Jambalaya in the Crock Pot?
Yes, you can easily make Crock Pot Jambalaya. Just like with the Instant Pot, combine all the ingredients in the crock pot except for the rice and cook on low for about 6 hours.
You will come home from being gone all day with dinner done.
Do you cook rice first when making Jambalaya?
When preparing this Instant Pot Jambalaya, we cook the rice separately. Then mix it in with the cooked jambalaya.
If you do decide to cook the rice with the Jambalaya, make sure to add enough liquid to the Instant Pot as the rice will pull a lot of the moisture while it is cooking.
Instant Pot Jambalaya Variations:
- Spicy Jambalaya – Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- Add shrimp – Substitute the Shrimp for the Chicken. Shrimp and Sausage together for an amazing Jambalaya.
- Mix in Vegetables – You can add in carrots, broccoli, corn, green beans or cauliflower to the Jambalaya.
- Make if Vegetarian – Eliminate the sausage and add more shrimp or vegetable broth.
What to Serve with Chicken Jambalaya?
- White Rice – Prepare the white rice and mix it in the jambalaya ingredients.
- Warm Bread – We also love to serve the jambalaya with warm bread on the side. Grab a loaf from the bakery or make these easy Homemade Dinner Rolls. You will want something to dip in the jambalaya and get very last drop.
- No Rice Option – If you are watching your carbs, try Crock Pot Jambalaya no rice recipe. It is just as good and you really don’t have to serve with rice.
- Cauliflower Rice – Another idea is Crock Pot jambalaya cauliflower rice. This is really tasty and easy if you are eating low carb. But still want the texture of rice in a meal.
- See What to Serve with Jambalaya for more ideas.
How to Store Jambalaya:
Store your leftover Chicken Jambalaya in an air tight container. Place container in the refrigerator and serve within 3 to 4 days.
You can also freeze your leftovers. Place the jambalaya in a freezer safe container and freeze. It will stay good for up to 6 months.
We think this chicken jambalaya is actually better the next day. All the ingredients marinate together overnight to make it even better.
How to Reheat:
To reheat leftover jambalaya, we recommend placing it in a sauce pan for about 15 minutes. This allows the jambalaya to heat thorough. You can reheat in the microwave, but this take longer and you get hot spots throughout the meal.
Instant Pot Jambalaya is a Crowd Pleaser:
I have even just made jambalaya with only chicken or only sausage. You can’t go wrong with this recipe.
It is so easy to use what you have or what is on sale that week at the grocery store. This no fuss recipe keeps dinner time simple and your budget on track.
Give this frugal friendly recipe a try and everyone will enjoy this tasty dinner. I am always thrilled when I can find a recipe that saves me money, feeds a crowd and everyone loves.
We have even served Instant Pot Chicken Jambalaya Recipe to guests and it was a hit all around. Making this jambalaya in the Instant Pot makes this is the easiest recipe.
Print this Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe below:
Instant Pot Chicken Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound andouille sausage links (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 onion (diced into small pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced into large pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced into large pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Add all the ingredients except for the cooked rice to an Instant pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 14 minutes.
- After the cook time, do a quick release to remove the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Remove the lid, stir in the cooked rice and then serve warm.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe