This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Peppermint Oreo Balls Recipe is a delicious and easy to make holiday treat. The combination of the crushed Oreos, cream cheese and peppermint creates a festive dessert.
Oreo balls always make the list when are preparing for the holidays. Being a mom of 8 kids, I love to gather with my kids and make all the holiday desserts. Oreo balls are the perfect bite size treats that is always a crowd favorite.
Another Christmas dessert that we always make is White Chocolate Truffles. The simple ingredients and the easy steps makes these the best fun and festive treats.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works:
We love making these Peppermint Oreo Cookie Balls because of the chocolate coating and the soft center. Adding the peppermint extract and the crushed candy canes makes this treat a holiday favorite.
Serve for Christmas or for any occasion. The peppermint flavor is one of the main reasons why we make these year after year.
- Cream Cheese
- Oreo Cookies
- Peppermint Extract
- Dark or White Candy Wafers
- Mini Candy Canes (divided)
Scroll to the bottom of the post to see the recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Oreos – Feel free to use different types of Oreos for this recipe. We used regular Oreos in this recipe, but any type will work.
- Chocolate – You can melt different types of chocolate in the microwave. We have used candy melts, vanilla almond bark, chocolate bark, and even chocolate chips.
- Peppermint Candies – Instead of candy canes, you can also use crushed peppermint candies.
How to Make Peppermint Oreo Balls:
- Step 1 – Line a cutting board or baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2 – Place 10 of the mini candy canes in a food processor and pulse until they are turned into crushed fine pieces.
Step 3 – Finely crush Oreos in the food processor.
Step 4 – Combine cream cheese, crushed candy canes, crushed cookies and peppermint extract until well blended.
Step 5 – Form mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a prepared sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Step 6 – Place the remaining 5 candy canes in a ziplock bag. Coarsely crush them into large pieces with a mallet or the end of a wooden spoon.
Step 7 – Heat the candy wafers by microwaving for 1 minute stirring and repeating until melted. Using a fork, dip each ball into the melted wafers to completely coat. Shake off excess and return to the paper lined baking sheet.
Step 8 – Sprinkle with crushed peppermint after dipping the Oreo Balls in the melted chocolate.
Step 9 – Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour until the melted candy is set and then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
- Cream Cheese – Make sure to start this recipe with softened cream cheese. This helps to blend everything soft and creamy for the best results.
- Freezing Mixture – Make sure to freeze the mixture to easily combine the balls.
- Melt Chocolate – When melting chocolate for dipping, watch closely as it doesn’t take long to melt. We recommend melting in 30 second intervals and stir after each time.
- Food Processor – For fine crumbs, we recommend using a food processor to crushed the Oreos and candy canes. If you do not have a food processor, you can also crush with a rolling pin in a ziploc bag.
- Baking Sheet – For best result place the Peppermint Oreo Truffles on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Excess Chocolate – Before placing the Oreo balls on the baking sheet, remove excess chocolate.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Yes, you can freeze these Oreo Balls. This is a great dessert to make ahead of time in preparation of the holidays. Place the prepared Oreo Balls in a ziploc bag and freeze. If stored properly the Oreo Balls will last about 3 months.
More Easy Oreo Recipes:
We love hearing from you. If you make this Oreo Peppermint Balls Recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Peppermint Oreo Balls
- 8 oz softened Cream Cheese
- 14.5 oz Oreo Cookies
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1 pound Dark or White Candy Wafers
- 15 Mini Candy Canes divided
- Line a cutting board or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 10 of the mini candy canes in a food process and pulse until they are turned into crushed fine pieces.
- Finely crush Oreos in the food processor.
- Combine cream cheese, crushed candy canes, crushed cookies and peppermint extract until well blended.
- Form mixture into 1? balls and place on a prepared sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Place the remaining 5 candy canes in a ziplock bag and coarsely crush them into large pieces with a mallet or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Heat the candy wafers by microwaving for 1 minute stirring and repeating until melted.
- Using a fork, dip each ball into the melted wafers to completely coat. Shake off excess and return to the tray. Top with the large pieces of crushed candy canes.
- Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour until the melted candy is set and then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe