This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole is delicious and a healthy breakfast idea. Serve it on Christmas Morning or for a weekend brunch idea.
Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole Recipe:
I am always looking for breakfast recipes that include more veggies. Vegetarian Breakfast casseroles are perfect for a weekend breakfast or to serve on Christmas morning. We love that this casserole is loaded with veggies and can be made in a variety of ways.
If you prefer savory breakfasts over a sweet breakfast, then this is the one to make. Load this egg casserole with all your favorite vegetables for amazing flavor. Serve with all your favorite side dishes for a complete meal idea.
Weekends are usually the time that I serve a big breakfast. Even though the casserole doesn’t have meat in it, it is still hearty and delicious. It is perfect to make ahead of time to enjoy during the week, too. Serve for breakfast, brunch or anytime you want a delicious casserole recipe.
- Olive Oil
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Onion (diced)
- Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- Minced Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Baby Spinach (chopped)
- Shredded Hash Browns (thawed)
- Large Eggs
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How to Make Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then spray a 9X13 baking dish or casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Heat Oil – Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Step 3 – Cook Onions – Add the onions to the pan. Then cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Step 4 – Add in Mushrooms – Add in the sliced mushrooms and bell peppers. Then cook for 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Step 5 – Season Vegetables – Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Then stir in the minced garlic and spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Step 6 – Remove Skillet – Remove from heat.
- Step 7 – Spread Hashbrowns – Spread the Hashbrown potatoes into the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the cooked vegetable mixture evenly on top.
- Step 8 – Combine Eggs and Milk – In a large mix, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables in the baking pan.
- Step 9 – Bake Casserole – Bake the casserole for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are set. Cook until top starts to get golden brown around the edges of the casserole.
- Step 10 – Top with Cheese – Top the casserole with both of the shredded cheese. Bake for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Step 11 – Let Cool – Remove and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 12 – Serve – Then the breakfast casserole is ready to serve and enjoy.
- Cook Vegetables – The key to this recipe is cook the vegetables before adding to the casserole. This allows the cook tender before combining with the other ingredients.
- Prepare Baking Dish – Make sure to spray the baking dish with cooking spray for an easy clean up. This also helps in serving the casserole easily.
- Chopping Vegetables – When preparing the vegetables, make sure to cut them about the same size. This allows them to cook evenly and about the same time.
- Hash Browns – We recommend that the hash browns be thawed before layering in the baking dish. This allows for the casserole to cook evenly and prevents extra moisture being added to the casserole.
- Baking Casserole – Bake the casserole until it is golden brown on top. Add the cheese and bake again for the cheese is melted.
Breakfast Casserole Vegetarian Variation Ideas:
- Change the Vegetables – Feel free to use different types of vegetables in this recipe. You can add in sweet potatoes, broccoli, and even zucchini. The options are endless when it comes to this recipe.
- Dairy-Free – You can easily make this recipe dairy free if you prefer. Use a non-dairy milk and cheese or just omit the cheese. This casserole is naturally gluten free.
- Potatoes – We love the added hash browns in this recipe. But you can also use fresh potatoes for a delicious variation. Feel free to dice up Yukon Gold potatoes to layer on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add Meat – Even though this recipe is made with no meat, you can add meat to make it your own. Add in sausage crumbles or chopped bacon for a delicious traditional breakfast casserole.
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole – If you prefer a vegan casserole, then this recipe can be made that way. You can even add in vegan cheese or vegan sausage for a delicious option. Substitute the eggs for tofu for a vegan variation.
Why is My Breakfast Casserole Soggy?
If you breakfast casserole is soggy it could mean that the vegetables were not dried properly. In this recipe we recommend cooking the vegetables before adding to the casserole.
This helps to prevent extra moisture for adding to the casserole. It also helps to make sure the hash browns are thoroughly thawed. Make sure to cook the casserole completely so that they eggs have time to cook.
Can I Prepare Ahead of Time?
This egg bake casserole can easily be made ahead of time. If you meal prep like I do for your dinners, make this casserole to make your mornings even easier.
Simply prepare the casserole as the recipe indicates and bake. Then cut the casserole into serving slices and store in individual containers. This way if you eat on the go, you already have a healthy breakfast prepared.
Another option is to fully prepare the casserole and place in the fridge unbaked. Then when ready to bake, remove from the fridge and bake.
My kids actually enjoy this casserole but I usually serve with a slice or two of bacon.
What to Serve with Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole?
The options are endless on what to serve with the Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole. It can be served as is as it covers all the food groups so it keeps you full and satisfied.
But here are some of my favorite sides to complete the meal. Top with casserole with a drizzle of hot sauce for added flavor.
- Fruit Salad – This classic Fruit Salad is light, refreshing and tossed in a lime and honey dressing. The perfect side dish to serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- French Toast – If you love a sweet side dish to serve with this breakfast make these easy French Toast Sticks. It a great balance with the savory casserole and my kids love them.
- Breakfast Sausage – You can slice some breakfast sausage to cook and prepare ahead of time. You can easily reheat in the microwave for a delicious side dish.
Can I Freeze Breakfast Casserole?
Yes, this a great recipe to double so you already have a casserole prepared. Prepare the casserole as directed and bake. Then allow the casserole to cool completely before freezing.
We recommend freezing the casserole in a freezer safe baking dish or cut into individual slices. Then when you are ready to serve again, allow to thaw overnight in the fridge.
Then reheat in the microwave for the breakfast any day of the week.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5-7 days.
More Easy Vegetarian Recipes:
- The Best Vegetarian Meatless Lasagna Recipe
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Bean and Cheese Enchilada Recipe
Print Recipe for Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole:
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups Packed Baby Spinach chopped
- 20 ounces Shredded Hash Browns thawed
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and bell peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and stir in the minced garlic and spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread the Hashbrown potatoes into the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the cooked vegetable mixture evenly on top.
- In a large mix, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables in the baking pan.
- Bake the casserole for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are set and the top starts to get golden brown around the edges of the casserole.
- Top the casserole with both of the shredded cheese. Bake for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Then the breakfast casserole is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe