Today I’m excited to share with you the best vegetarian lasagna recipe. It is so hearty and packed with flavor that your family won’t even miss the meat, Plus, it saves money too.
The best vegetarian lasagna recipe
We have the perfect recipe for Meatless Monday and even your meat loving family will enjoy it. Everyone will love this Meatless Lasagna and it is the best comfort food.
It is truly the best Veggie Lasagna Recipe ever. If you are trying to get more veggies in or maybe you don’t care for meat, this delicious and Easy Vegetable Lasagna Recipe does not disappoint. Not only is it packed with yummy veggies but it will save you money by leaving out the meat.
Plus, all the cheese such as ricotta cheese and more make this just so creamy and delicious.
Even if you are not a vegetarian, you will still love this delicious meatless dinner idea. Trust me, my family is known to be picky and they even enjoyed this. I was surprised that the ones that are normally big meat eaters even enjoyed this.
It is definitely a hit.
How do you make lasagna without meat?
I think the more veggies the better. This recipe calls for ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan.
This delicious vegetable mixture is layered with the cheese mixture in a 9×13 baking pan.
Everything gets topped with more cheese and baked to perfection.
We love a good comfort meal around here and this Meatless Lasagna does not disappoint. Try it today and it is sure to be a hit. It is now on our regular meal plan rotation.
What vegetables do you use?
Depending on the time of the year, there are so many fresh options. Squash is really good paired with the zucchini. The pasta sauce is also amazing made with garden tomatoes.
Green onions, red onions or sweet vidalia onions are delicious sauteed with green pepper. The more vegetables the better in this lasagna.
It blends so well with the ricotta cheese. You can also sneak in some carrots.
I have even added diced egg plant to the vegetable lasagna. What is your favorite vegetable combination?
- lasagna noodles
- mushrooms. You will need to slice the mushrooms. Also, fresh is recommended in this recipe.
- zucchini. Use a large zucchini and cut it in half lengthwise and then slice it.
- green bell pepper. Chop this into pieces. You can also dice it if you have kids that are picky.
- Onion. Chop this quickly with a food processor if you have one.
- Garlic. We used cloves of garlic and minced them. You can use store bought if you prefer.
- Olive oil
- Pasta sauce. I have also used this Homemade Pizza Sauce instead of pasta sauce and it was delicious.
- dried basil
- part-skim ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
How to make vegetarian lasagna:
- First, cook the lasagna noodles on the stove top using a large pot. Make sure to cook the noodles al dente as they will cook more in the oven. You do not want them mushy. Once cooked, rinse them with cold water and drain.
- Next, use a large saucepan and add the olive oil to it. Cook the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the pasta sauce and dried basil to the vegetables. Bring this mixture to a boil using medium high heat. Then reduce the heat and let simmer a few minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, mix together the ricotta mixture. Use a mixing bowl to combine the ricotta, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Start to assemble the lasagna. Add 1 cup pasta sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Then, layer lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, and sauce.
- Keep repeating the layers and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Finally, bake the lasagna uncovered for 40 minutes. Once it has finished baking, allow it to set for 15 minutes before serving. Don’t skip this step or it will be difficult to cut and the layers won’t be as pretty.
What to serve with meatless lasagna:
- Caesar Salad. This is a simple and easy idea. Toss together a simple salad for a delicious side with lasagna.
- Steamed Broccoli. Try this for an effortless side in minutes. The microwave makes it super easy.
- Homemade garlic bread. Learn how we freeze this to make it even easier on busy nights. We think it taste better than store bought and it saves us money too.
How to freeze Meatless Lasagna:
- If you want to freeze this for a future meal, simply don’t cook it. It can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Make the lasagna as directed and instead of baking it, wrap it with saran wrap and place it inside a freezer bag. Just make sure it is completely cool before covering and freezing.
- I do a lot of freezer cooking and just reuse those 2-gallon freezer bags over and over again since they never touch food. They are just added protection against any freezer burn.
I almost always make two of these. One for tonight and one for the freezer. You will do the same amount of work but you will have dinner ready for an easy weeknight meal.
This is such a time saver and something I try to do as much as possible. I love to cook once and eat twice.
I even use these disposable pans to make clean up a breeze for the freezer meals. There will be no need for take out with yummy dinners like this in the freezer.
Plus, you will have a delicious meal in the freezer to take to someone should the need arise.
How to reheat frozen lasagna:
- Allow the frozen lasagna to thaw overnight in the fridge.
- The next day let it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 as directed. You may need to add a few minutes to the baking time.
Meatless Lasagna Variation ideas
- Cheese. You can use any type of cheese you have on hand. I have used cheddar and a Colby jack blend.
You can also substitute cottage cheese for ricotta. I have even mixed ricotta and cottage cheese together.
- Pasta sauce. Sometimes, I use this Homemade Pizza Sauce instead of marinara sauce. It’s even better with fresh tomatoes.
You can also use tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes with fresh basil. If you like a little heat, add red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Vegetables. You really can use any type of veggies you like. Other ideas include: broccoli, eggplant, carrots, spinach and more. Feel free to use what is in season or on sale.
Vegetarian Lasagna Tips
- Don’t overcook the pasta. It should be al dente or it will become mushy after baking.
- If you are trying to reduce carbs, use layers of thinly sliced zucchini instead of pasta. This is really delicious and an easy alternative to lasagna noodles.
- This recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance to save time on busy days. Bake as normal when ready to serve.
- Use a good quality cheese and pasta sauce. The final product will be much better.
Print the meatless lasagna recipe below:
Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- (1) 16 oz. package lasagna noodles
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large zucchini (cut in half (lengthwise) and sliced)
- ¾ cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- ¾ cup onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- (2) 24 oz. jars pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- (1) 15 oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cold water and
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini, onion and
- garlic and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce and dried basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and
- simmer 15 minutes.
- Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch dish. Spread 1 cup pasta sauce into the bottom of the
- baking dish. Layer lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, and sauce (in that order). Repeat layering, and top with remaining
- cups mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe