This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy crispy air fryer onion rings in 10 minutes or less. These are delicious thick cut old fashioned style onion rings. Yum!
Air fryer onion rings
The air fryer does it again! I am thrilled about how amazing these air fryer onion rings turned out. Each bite was perfectly crispy all without the hassle of standing over a hot stove.
I have always loved onion rings but they have to be made a certain way. I don’t like the frozen onion rings that are small and thin. There is only one way to enjoy onion rings!
They need to be the old fashioned thick cut style onion rings. Now, you can stop trying to figure out which restaurants have the “good onion rings” and just make some at home! .
We adapted our original onion rings recipe to an easy air fryer recipe
We think they make the best side dish, appetizer or snack. My kids when I make air fryer chicken wings to serve with onion rings.
Make sure you have a good air fryer to use. We love ours!
- Large Onion- you need a large onion so you can slice it into 1/2″ thick pieces.
- Large Eggs
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Oil Spray
How to cook onion rings in air fryer
First, you will need 3 small bowls so go ahead and get those out. Put the flour in one bowl, eggs and milk in a second bowl (Make sure to beat them together.) and the bread crumbs in the last bowl.
Second, start coating the onion slices. Dredge the onion slice in flour, then egg and milk mixture and finally the panko bread crumbs. Set aside on a separate plate until you are ready to put in the air fryer.
Keep repeating these steps until al of the onion slices have been coated.
The the air fryer should be preheated to 400 degrees. It is ok if your air fryer does not have a preheat option. Just let it run at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes to heat up the air fryer.
Once the air fryer is ready, put the coated onions in the air fryer in a single layer. Make sure they do not overlap. Spray the tops of the onions with oil spray so they will brown when they cook.
How long should you cook onion rings in an air fryer?
Finally, let the onions cook for 7 to 10 minutes until your onions are the crispiness that you like.
Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!
More ideas to try:
- This is a great base recipe. You can add seasoning to the egg mixture to change up the flavor of these air fryer onions. Italian seasoning, garlic salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning would be great mixed into this egg mixture.
Tips and tricks:
- This is optional but you can soak the onion slices in ice water prior to coating. This will help reduce the strong onion taste if your onion is really strong. It can also help make the onion sweeter.
- Onions- Vidalia onions are usually really large and they are sweeter too. This is a great onion to use for making onion rings. If you do not like sweet onions, use white or yellow onions. White onions are typically stronger than yellow.
- Not only are these a delicious snack but they are fun for topping too. The next time you make burgers, add one of these to your burger and see how amazing it is.
Print the recipe for Homemade air fryer Onion rings:
Air Fryer Onion Rings
- 1 Large Onion sliced into 1/2? thick pieces and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Oil Spray
- You will need 3 small bowls. Place flour in one bowl, eggs and milk in a second bowl (beat them together) and then the Panko crumbs in a third bowl.
- Coat the sliced onions in the flour, then in the egg mixture and then in the bread crumb mixture. Place on a separate plate until ready to air fry.
- Continue to do this until all of the onions have been coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. *Note: If your air fryer does not have a preheat option than run your air fryer at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes to heat up the air fryer.
- Place the coated onions in the air fryer in a single layer (do not overlap), spray the tops of the onions with oil spray to make them brown when they cook and cook at 400 degrees F for 7-10 minutes until your onions are cooked to the crispiness that you prefer.
- Serve topped with salt with your favorite dipping sauces.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe