Make crispy air fryer french fries with only 3 ingredients. This is such an easy side dish or snack that is ready in 15 minutes.
The Best air fryer French fries.
Crispy, crunchy fries make an easy side dish with just about anything. They are tender on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside. The air fryer makes it very simple to enjoy French fries without a lot of oil or mess.
You can enjoy all the flavor from deep frying without any of the trouble of grease popping or the smell lingering in the house. The air fryer is a game changer.
You only need 3 ingredients to enjoy homemade French fries. They are easy enough to make for a snack, Game Day with wings or anything the craving strikes.
This recipe is much better than frozen fries and tastes just like a restaurant.
Ingredients for homemade French fries
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
How to make French fries in air fryer:
- First, peel the potatoes. Then cut the potatoes into 1/4″ strips making sure they are all the same size. This will help them to cook evenly.
- Second, put the potatoes once you cut them in a large bowl with the olive oil. Make sure the potatoes are coated in the oil by tossing them. Then sprinkle with the salt.
- Next, preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees. If your air fryer does not have a preheat option, it is ok. You can run the air fryer at 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Once the air fryer has warmed up, put the potatoes in the air fryer basket. Make sure to put them in a single layer so that they do not overlapping. They need plenty of room so the air circulates around them and makes them crispy. You may have to do more than one batch depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Finally, allow the fries to cook for 12 to 15 minutes. You will need to flip the potatoes halfway through the cook time.
- Make sure the potatoes are cooked all the way through and crispy. Then place the Air Fryer Fries on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
What to serve with air fryer French fries:
- homemade ketchup – My favorite dipping sauce is ketchup and it is so easy to make homemade.
- Cheese- Sprinkle your favorite shredded cheese on top of the fries and make cheese fries.
- Ranch– Homemade ranch dressing is delicious with fries and also with cheese fries.
- Bacon – My kids love when I add crumbled bacon on top. Try this easy air fryer bacon recipe.
- Queso – So easy and tastes just like at a re
- Cheese Dip –Homemade cheese sauce is perfect for dipping.
- Chili –You can make chili cheese fries. Top the fries with chili and shredded cheese or cheese dip.
They make a great side dish for these meals:
- Air Fryer Hamburgers – Air fryer hamburgers are delicious and so easy to prepare. Enjoy juicy and flavor packed burgers in just minutes thanks to the air fryer.
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs – Air fryer hot dogs takes just minutes for a quick weeknight meal. Get dinner on the table fast and enjoy a frugal and tasty dinner.
- Air fryer Fried shrimp – They are perfectly crispy and golden brown. Get dinner on the table in less than 10 minutes with this easy recipe.
Different seasoning ideas:
- Red Pepper Flakes, Cayenne Pepper or Chili Powder. Heat things up by using one of these seasoning choices on the fries. Adjust the amount based on how spicy you like things.
- Cajun Seasoning. I love seasoned fries and Cajun seasoning gives the fries the perfect amount of flavor.
- Parmesan Garlic – Sprinkle garlic powder on the fries and drizzle with a little olive oil. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the fries. Fresh Parmesan is best if you have it.
- Italian Seasoning- You can try this easy homemade Italian seasoning. I bet you already have what you need in the pantry.
How to store homemade air fryer french fries:
Put the leftover French fries inside air tight container in the fridge. They will keep up to 5 to 7 days.
How to reheat:
Reheat the leftover air fried French fries in the air fryer for 2 to 3 minutes to make them crispy again.
Can you prepare the potatoes ahead of time?
You certainly can. Cut the potatoes as normal and place them in a bowl of cold water. Make sure they are completely submerged in the water.
Place in the fridge until you want to cook them. They need to be dried really well before cooking.
This is a great time saving tip since cutting the potatoes takes the most time. You can make this easy side dish even faster by doing the prep work ahead of time.
What if the fries aren’t crispy?
Cook the fries longer to get the desired level of crispiness. Check them at about 12 minutes and if they are still not crispy enough, cook for 3 more minutes.
Air Fryer tips:
- Russet potatoes make the most classic French fries. They crisp nicely and turn out great. You can use Yukon Gold but they have a richer sweeter taste than Russet. The inside is also creamer.
- This is optional but for extra crispy fries, soak the uncooked fries in cold water for 1 hour. This removes part of the starch in the potatoes and will result in crispy French fries.
- Make sure to pat dry the fries really good before you coat them in olive oil. You don’t want any excess moisture as it will result in soggy fries.
- It is important to cut the fries all the same size. A mandolin slicer will help to do this if you have trouble cutting them all the same size with a knife.
- We peeled our potatoes but you do not have to. You can leave he peeling on for extra texture.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. The French fries need to be placed in a single layer so the air can properly circulate around them. This will help them to crisp nicely. You will find this common in many air fryer recipes as the basket does not need to be too full.
Print the recipe for homemade French fries in air fryer:
Air Fryer French Fries
- 3 lbs Russet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/4? strips of similar size.
- Place the cut potatoes and olive oil in a large bowl. Toss to thoroughly coat the potatoes with the olive oil and then season them with the salt.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. If the air fryer does not have a preheat option, then run the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer so that they are not overlapping (you may have to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer).
- Cook for 12-15 minutes (flipping the potatoes halfway through the cook time) until the potatoes are cooked through and crispy.
- After the cook time. move the fries to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe