Apple crisp recipe has a delicious cinnamon apple filling with the most amazing oat topping. It is super easy and even better with ice cream!
Easy Apple crisp recipe
I had some apples that needed to be used. No one was in the mood for pie so I made this easy recipe for apple crisp. It was a huge success and incredibly simple.
The entire dessert came together in minutes and made my house smell wonderful. As the apple crisp baked, cinnamon and sugar wafted all throughout the kitchen.
Not only is this easy, but it is so delicious. You will be hooked once you make this
How to make the Best apple crisp!
- Golden Delicious Apples- Peeled and Chopped
- Ground Cinnamon
- Lemon Juice
- brown Sugar
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Butter- diced into small pieces
How to make apple crisp
First, you need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is warming up, spray the pan with cooking spray.
This recipe is perfect for an 8X8 baking pan.
Second, get out a large mixing bowl. Then add the apples, sugar, lemon juice and part of the cinnamon to the bowl.
Tip: We used Golden delicious apples. However, if you prefer a tart apple, try using Granny Smith apples. Both are delicious and you can use the type of apples you like best.
Now, mix everything together. The apple slices need to be thoroughly coated with the mixture.
Then add the coated apples into the dish.
How to make the Apple Crisp topping.
You will need another mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and cinnamon. Combine this all together.
Next, cut the butter into the oat mixture. This is a great time to use a pastry cutter if you have one.
It works great and makes this so easy. Don’t worry if you do not have one though. You can use 2 forks to combine the butter and flour together.
Tip: I try to always use real butter when making this apple crisp. I think it results in a better flavor. Also, make sure to be precise when measuring the butter. Using too much can make the topping greasy.
The last step is to spread the topping all over the apples in the baking dish. It takes about 40 to 50 minutes to bake.
The mixture should be bubbly and the topping golden brown.
What Type of Apples to use
You can use any apples that you like. My favorite for this recipe is the golden delicious apples, but Granny Smith or Fugi are some other types of apples that would be delicious
Do I need to peel the apples?
I peeled the apples in this recipe. However, since you are baking the apples, peeling is optional.
Baked apples have a soft texture so if you are not in the mood to peel. Skip it. I chose to peel them to keep a smooth texture in the apples.
Make this easy apple crisp recipe with oats.
- If your topping is getting too brown but your apples still need more time to cook, place some aluminum foil loosely over the top of your pan and continue baking. This will stop the browning process.
- Chopped nuts would be an easy addition to the topping! I didn’t add any to ours, but pecans or walnuts would be delicious.
Apple Crisp Serving ideas
- Vanilla ice cream. The cold ice cream melts into the warm apple crisp to make this even better. Our Homemade ice cream would make it even better.
- Top with whipped cream . This is delicious instead of ice cream or why not try both? Yum!
- Caramel sauce. It is easy to make homemade caramel sauce or you can pick up a bottle at the store.
My favorite is a scoop of ice cream on warm apple crisp, caramel sauce all over and a dollop of whipped cream on top. It is so amazing and really decadent.
It is so comforting and delicious. Each bite is rich and tasty. You will be hooked.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover apple crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to one week.
You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Apple crisp vs apple crumble:
- The main difference between a crisp and crumble is the topping. The crisp has a topping with oats and the crumble does not have oats in the topping.
Other than that, they are very similar. Both have a yummy fruit filling and both have a yummy topping.
This is the best apple crisp recipe!
We love it served warm with vanilla ice cream. This apple crisp recipe is so easy and really amazing.
It is so delicious and we love it for the perfect Fall treat. However, it really is so tasty year round.
Make this today for an amazing dessert. Your family and friends will love it.
It is so tasty, very easy to make and budget friendly. This recipe is definitely my kind of dessert.
You will not be disappointed if you make this. Easy apple crisp is definitely a winner!
Print this easy apple crisp recipe:
- 6 Golden Delicious Apples Peeled and Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon Divided
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter diced into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8X8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the apples, sugar, lemon juice and ½ tsp of the cinnamon. Mix to thoroughly coat the apples with the mixture.
- Pour the coated apples into the baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Stir to combine and then cut the butter into this mixture. You can do this with a pastry cutter or 2 forks to combine the butter with the mixture.
- Then spread the topping over the apples in the baking pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm and then enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe