This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are looking for a sweet and savory recipe, make Cornbread Salad. Crumble homemade cornbread and mix with simple ingredients for a delicious salad recipe.
Cornbread Salad Recipe:
This cornbread salad recipe is the perfect BBQ side dish. Homemade cornbread is crumbled and mixed with easy ingredients. This flavorful salad easily comes together to create something delicious.
We love bringing this to many picnics or potlucks as it travels well. The delicious ranch dressing combined with the simple ingredients make this salad a crowd favorite.
What is Cornbread Salad?
You are in for a tasty treat with this delicious cornbread salad recipe. Homemade cornbread is prepared and crumbled in a bowl. It is then tossed with peppers, corn and tomatoes to create a delicious salad.
Mix in beans, cheese and bacon with the homemade ranch dressing to create a flavorful salad. We love bringing it to all our summer BBQs.
For the Pasta Salad:
- Pan Cornbread (cooked) – Package of Cornbread or Homemade
- Sweet Onion (finely chopped)
- Red Bell Pepper (deseeded and chopped)
- Large Tomatoes (chopped)
- Sweet Corn (15 ounce can) drained
- Pinto Beans (rinsed and drained)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Green Onions (sliced)
For the Dressing:
- Sour Cream
- Ranch Dressing Mix (1 ounce packet)
How to Make Cornbread Salad:
- Step 1 – Prepare Cornbread – Prepare the cornbread and cook in a preheated oven. Allow cornbread to cool completely.
- Step 2 – Combine Dressing Ingredients – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- Step 3 – Crumble Cornbread – Dice the cornbread into 1 inch cubes.
- Step 4 – Combine Cornbread Ingredients – In a large bowl, gently toss together the cornbread pieces. Mix with the onions, red bell pepper, ½ cup tomatoes, corn, beans , cheddar cheese bacon and green onions.
- Step 5 – Toss with Dressing – Pour the dressing mixture on top and gently toss to coat the salad with the dressing.
- Step 6 – Refrigerate – Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Then the salad is ready to serve and enjoy.
Cornbread Salad Tips:
- Cornbread – We prepare to make this salad with fresh homemade cornbread. Make sure it has cooled before layering the ingredients.
- Vegetables – You can easily chop the onion, bell pepper, and tomato ahead of time. We recommend that you chop in small pieces to mix well with this salad.
- Salad Dressing Mix – After combining the salad dressing ingredients in a medium bowl, make sure to cover and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate Salad – Allow the salad to chill after preparing for at least an hour. This helps for all the ingredients to marinate together.
- Layering the Ingredients – You can combine the ingredients in a bowl or layer. There is no wrong way to make this salad.
- Greek Yogurt – For a lighter option, you can use Greek Yogurt instead of mayonnaise to combine with the other ingredients.
- Trifle Dish – You can easily mix these ingredients in a glass bowl or layer in bottom of a large trifle dish.
- Bacon – You can prepare bacon in a skillet or heat up already cooked bacon. Crumble the bacon and toss with the other ingredients.
- Vegetables – We used red bell pepper, but you can also use green bell pepper. You can also add in other vegetables for added flavor.
- Beans – Pinto beans works great in this recipe. But you can also use kidney beans or black beans.
- Cornbread Recipe –Feel free to use any kind of cornbread recipe. We have several homemade cornbread recipes here.
Can I prepare ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this Cornbread Salad ahead of time. Combine the veggies in a bowl and keep the cornbread and dressing separate. Then on serving day, combine the ingredients together and allow to chill.
Then it is ready to serve and enjoy.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The cornbread will get mushy after a few days so this salad is best served immediately.
Print Recipe for Cornbread Salad:
For the Salad:
- 1 pan Cornbread cooked – Package of Cornbread or Homemade
- 1 sweet Onion finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 Large Tomatoes chopped
- 1 can Sweet Corn 15 ounce can drained
- 1 can Pinto Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 Sliced Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 Green Onions sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 packet Ranch Dressing Mix 1 ounce packet
- Prepare the cornbread and allow it to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- Dice the cornbread into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the cornbread pieces with the onions, red bell pepper, tomatoes, corn, beans , cheddar cheese bacon and green onions.
- Pour the dressing mixture on top and gently toss to coat the salad with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Then the salad is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe