Learn how to make traditional Crock pot corned beef and cabbage that is so tender and flavorful. Everything you need for a great meal from the main dish to the sides is in the slow cooker.
Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
You can easily enjoy corned beef with hardly any effort thanks to this corned beef cabbage crock pot recipe. One of my favorite things is that everything is in one pot and clean up is so easy.
This makes it so nice for those nights you just want to be able to walk in the door and have dinner ready and waiting. The tender corned beef, cabbage and potatoes make such an amazing meal and so simple to prepare.
It seems that almost all nights we just don’t have time for multiple pots and pans for side dishes and such. This is the perfect recipe because all that you need is right there in the crockpot.
You are going to love the flavor in this dish. All of the ingredients take on the best flavor from being cooked with the beef. The carrots, potatoes and cabbage are so tasty.
You’ll need a crock pot:
If you are in the market for something new, I really love my Instant Pot Aura Crock Pot. The nice thing about this is you can brown the meat in the same slow cooker for recipes that call for that.
It is so handy to just have the one pan to clean. It has become of my favorite kitchen appliances.
I also really like this crockpot as well. I use this all the time and it’s great.
My favorite feature is that you can lock the lid down. This is awesome for when you need to take the crockpot somewhere.
I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These plastic bags are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
You can also make this recipe in the instant pot if you prefer with this Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage Recipe.
Do you Rinse corned beef before cooking?
You don’t have to rinse the beef. This is not necessary for this recipe.
How do you know when corn beef is ready?
The beef will become fork tender when it is finished cooking. You can also use a meat thermometer to be sure. If the meat is too tough, this means that you need to cook it longer.
Can you overcook corned beef?
Just like any other type of meat, corned beef can also be overcooked. Just be aware of your cooking times and this won’t be an issue with this recipe.
- corned beef brisket with the spice packet
- yellow potatoes
- head green cabbage
- minced garlic
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- grainy mustard for serving (optional)
Point Cut or Flat Cut Corned Beef?
When you go to do your shopping, you will find that there are 2 different types of corned beef: point cut or flat cut.
Either types will work great for this recipe. However, I prefer the point cut as it’s generally more fattier which makes it more tender and more juicier in this crock pot recipe.
How do you make Slow Cooker Corned Beef?
Remove the corned beef from the package and place fat side up in the slow cooker.
Add the potatoes and carrots to the crockpot.
Now it is time for the water and seasoning packet of pickling spices that comes in the corned beef package.
Cover and cook on low.
Add the cabbage on top of the corned beef and cook on low for another 2 hours.
Remove the cabbage, corned beef, potatoes and carrots from the slow cooker. Slice the corned beef brisket against the grain and serve.
Place the butter, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Microwave until melted.
Drizzle the garlic butter over the carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Place the meat, potatoes and vegetables on a platter and serve with mustard on the side if desired.
Keep reading for the full recipe below.
Can this be cooked on high?
Yes, this recipe can be cooked on high for half of the cook time. I recommend cooking the meat with the potatoes and the carrots for 3 hours on high. Then add in the cabbage and cook for 1-1 ½ hours on high until the cabbage is tender.
However, I do prefer this recipe cooked on low, as this makes the meat more tender.
Crock Pot Corned Beef Tips:
- Do not add too much water.
- Make sure to follow the cooking times so you do not over cook the meat as it will become tough.
- Make sure to cut against the grain when get you ready to slice the corned beef.
- You do not want to add the cabbage initially or it will be very soggy. This does not get added until near the end of the cooking time.
- It is optional to serve with grainy mustard but this really adds a level to this dish. I highly recommend it.
- Some recipes call for bay leaves to be added to the crock pot. I have made it both ways and I don’t have a prefer. If you love bay leafs, then add 2 in and remove them after the cook time.
How do you eat corned beef and cabbage?
This is a great meal to enjoy for St Patrick’s day or any day of the year. You can eat it served with the delicious potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
Some like to shred or slice the meet and enjoy on a sandwich with mustard. The great thing about corned beef brisket recipes is that you can eat it several different ways. This is perfect to make everyone happy in the family.
If you have picky eaters, this recipe can easily be served several different ways. You can also enjoy instant pot corned beef and cabbage keto if you are eating low carb.
Just eat the corned beef and cabbage for a great meal. You can skip the potatoes and carrots for a delicious keto meal.
It is so easy and you can make this meal work for everyone!
How to Store:
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the leftovers in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 2-3 months. Be careful when reheating so that the potatoes do not get too soft.
Make crock pot corned beef and cabbage this week!
The crock pot corned beef is so tender and the cooking liquid has the best flavor with the potatoes and carrots. Everything is so tender from being slow cooked and makes the best meal.
You will absolutely love coming home to this great meal. This recipe is also very frugal friendly and easy on the budget.
This cut of meat is very inexpensive so you can enjoy this meal without a ton of expense.
Print this crock pot corned beef and cabbage recipe below:
Crock pot corned beef and cabbage
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 lb small yellow potatoes halved
- 1/2 head green cabbage cut into wedges
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- grainy mustard for serving optional
- Remove the corned beef from the package.
- Place the corned beef brisket (fat side up), carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker. Add 3 cups of water to the slow cooker, plus the seasoning packet that comes in the corned beef package.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Add the cabbage on top of the corned beef and cook on LOW for another 2 hours.
- Remove the cabbage, corned beef, potatoes and carrots from the slow cooker. Slice the corned beef against the grain.
- Place the butter, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments or until melted.
- Drizzle the garlic butter over the carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Place the meat, potatoes and vegetables on a platter and serve with mustard on the side if desired.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe