Crock Pot French Onion Chicken Recipe has everything you love about the classic soup but with hearty chicken. Toss French Onion Chicken into the slow cooker and come home to a delicious dinner waiting.
French Onion Chicken Crock Pot Recipe:
If you love slow cooker French onion soup, you must try this delicious Crock Pot French Onion Chicken Recipe. It is loaded with cheese, onions and more delicious ingredients.
Even better, your crock pot does all the work. The chicken and onions are so tender after being slow cooked all day. This French Onion Crock Pot Chicken recipe is a must when we meal plan for the week.
You will love coming home to dinner ready and waiting. Our favorite part is the way our house smells when we come home.
French Onion Chicken is easy:
The sweet vidalia onions are so tender and sweet. The melty, gooey cheese is our favorite part.
Everything gets melted and blended together with the chicken for an amazing meal everyone will go crazy for! I could eat the broth alone and be happy. It is that good.
Make sure you pick up a loaf of crusty bread to dip into the delicious broth. If you have extra time, make these easy Homemade Dinner Rolls.
Bread is a must because you will want to dip the bread into the broth to get every last drop. Yum!
Can you put raw chicken in the Crock Pot?
Yes, we do this most of the time that we cook chicken in the crock pot. We cook it on low for 4-6 hours and the chicken comes out perfectly.
We even put frozen chicken in the crock pot. It takes longer to cook but still comes out great with all of our recipes.
- Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Thyme
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Beef Broth – You can also use Beef Stock
- Swiss cheese
How to make Crock Pot French Onion Chicken:
- Prepare Crockpot – Even though it is not necessary, you can spray you crock pot with cooking spray.
- Add onions – We like to add the onions first to the bottom of the crock pot. We love caramelized onions and adding them first really brings out the flavor of the sweet onion.
- Top with Chicken – Add the chicken breast and place on top of the onion.
- Add the Seasoning – Season the chicken breast with salt and thyme.
- Mix in the Liquid – Pour the Balsamic and the broth over the top.
- Cook – Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 stirring occasionally. Cooking time could vary.
- Add the Cheese – 30 minutes before serving, top with the sliced Swiss cheese.
- Melt the Cheese – Cook for 15 minutes to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Spoon the onion mixture on top of the chicken and serve.
Can I bake French Onion Chicken?
Yes, you can. We definitely love using our crock pot, but this recipe works great in the oven. This simple chicken dinner is the true definition of comfort foods.
Combine the ingredients in a oven safe casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Use your meat thermometer to check the chickens internal temperature.
Can I make French Onion Chicken in the skillet?
Yes, this recipe cooks great in a skillet. This French Onion Chicken comes out so juicy with the caramelized onions and melted cheese. The best part is that it can all be done in one skillet. We prefer to make this in an iron skillet.
Make sure that you chicken breast is about the same size so that it cooks evenly. Cook the onion in butter to soften them then add in seasoning and the chicken. After cooking on the stove, top the chicken with cheese and plac
Variations for French Onion Chicken:
- Use another cut of Chicken – You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast if you prefer.
- Cheese Alternative – If you do not like swiss cheese, you can also use provolone or mozzarella. You can also use gruyere cheese. But it can be hard to find so a good alternative is provolone.
- Cook on the Stove Top – If you prefer to cook this on the stove top, melt butter and cook on medium heat to high heat. I like to slow cook my chicken but this is definitely an option if you forgot to put the chicken in the crock pot soon enough.
- Broil the Cheese – If you prefer, you can place the chicken in a casserole dish or baking sheet and then melt the cheese in the oven. This really makes the cheese bubbly and crispy.
- Add Mushrooms – If you love mushrooms as much as my sister does, then I would add them to this recipe.
- Use Red Onions – Use red onions instead of the Vidalia onions if you prefer. Yellow onions is also a great alternative.
- Cook the Onions – Some recipes called for cooking the onions in a skillet prior to adding them to onions. It is your preference, but I like just adding them to the crock pot.
Tips for the Best French Onion Chicken:
- Add all the ingredients – All the ingredients combine together makes it the reason this is the most flavorful chicken. The only thing I would add is more cheese if you are a cheese lover like we are.
- Skip on shredding the chicken – Most of the time when we make chicken in the crock pot, it always seems we shred it. But this recipe, we always keep the chicken breast whole. Shredding the chicken absorbs all the liquid.
- French Onion Gravy – We love the gravy that is made with the onion, balsamic vinegar and broth. It is perfect pour over the chicken and perfect dipping your favorite bread.
You will need a slow cooker for French Onion Chicken:
If you have been in the market for a good slow cooker, we recommend the Instant Pot Aura. We love it because it can do some many different functions.
From browning your ground beef to a rice cooker, it is a great appliance to purchase. We use our crock pot almost every day. From making a breakfast casserole to dinner in the evening. It is one of those appliance that gets a lot of use.
What to serve French Onion Chicken:
This French Onion is a great option if you are trying to do low carb. Here are some of my favorite sides rather you are doing low carb or not. Combine a broccoli, mashed potatoes and this easy French Onion Chicken and your meal is complete.
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Mashed Potatoes
- A Green Salad
- Crusty Artisan Bread
How to store:
This chicken is great leftover. We store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. We like to store in individual containers as it make a great lunch the next day.
This is one my husbands favorite lunches to take to lunch. It is easy to reheat in the microwave and I know he is getting a good lunch and not having to go through the drive-through somewhere.
Great meal for freezing:
If you are like many families, we all get busy with school activities and meal planning is the last thing we want to do. But I find that it helps me to stay organized and to get ready for the week ahead.
We like to meal prep by gathering all the ingredients that are need for a recipe and store the ingredients in a gallon size freezer bag. This meal would be perfect for that.
I would store all the ingredients in this recipe in a zip lock back except for the cheese. Place in your freeze and then it is ready for your to place everything in your crock pot to cook.
Low Carb French Onion Chicken:
We love Crock Pot French Onion Soup but is not necessarily low carb. I love creating my favorite recipes and find ways to make them fit better in my diet. I can easily make this recipe for my family and still make it low carb.
This recipe doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and everything can be cooked in the crock pot. That means more time with family and spending less time in the kitchen.
Rather you make this recipe in the crock pot or on the stove it is sure to please even your pickiest eaters.
Print Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken Recipe below:
Crock Pot French Onion Chicken
- 1 pounds vidalia onions peeled and sliced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (filleted into 6 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 oz sliced swiss cheese
- Place the onions in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the chicken on top.
- Seasoning with salt and thyme.
- Pour the Balsamic and the broth over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, top with the sliced Swiss cheese.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Spoon the onion mixture on top of the chicken and serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Soo easy and ooey gooey good!
This is such a tasty meal!
I love coming home to dinner all ready!
French onion anything gets me every time!
LOVE all that gooey cheese!! What a great chicken recipe!!
Yum. Yum. And YUM!!!
Anyone can make this recipe. It’s so easy AND delish!
A new favorite comfort food!! This is really yummy!
Such great tips on shopping with a savings mindset. And this soup!! SUPERB!
Why beef broth? Is it ok to use chicken broth instead?
Jody – We think that the beef broth flavors pairs well with the onions in this recipe but you can try chicken broth if you prefer it or only have it on hand. Thank you!
Can a different cheese be substituted? I do not like Swiss cheese. I would prefer a mozzarella or provolone if possible.
Definitely making again. Easy, delicious & budget friendly, can’t beat that..thanks for sharing ?
I’m so glad you loved it!
I thought I would try this recipe because I have always loved French onion soup. The whole time is was cooking it smelled so delicious I couldn’t wait to eat it. Turns out that my whole family loves it. It has become a regular dish in our house now.
I canned with homemade beef broth some onion soup. My question is how could I use it in this? I was thinking maybe strain my soup and put those onions on bottom then follow the rest of the recipe. What do you think.
Please and thank you for your recipes and time. Blessings
I think you can use it with the broth. I would just eliminate the broth in the recipe.