We love Halloween in our house and my kids and I love making these Easy Spider Cupcakes! They are not only delicious but they are also lots of fun to make.
Spider Cupcakes are the perfect Halloween Treat!
If you loved our Spider pudding pies then you are going to love this fun Halloween Treat – Spider Cupcakes. We just made these yesterday with the kids and they loved them…. just loved them.
Make sure you try some of our delicious cupcakes. I know you will find more your family will love.
Now these are great for Halloween, but they are perfect for a Spider party too. They are super cute but the real fun is making them. My kids had a blast with that part.
What is needed to make these easy spider cupcakes?
I love quick and easy desserts. This easy cupcake recipe is only 5 ingredients!
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Cupcake Liners – I just made mine with a box cake mix, but homemade ones work great too!
- 1 Package of Oreos
- Chocolate icing – homemade or again, store bought is fine
- Pretzel sticks (8 per cupcake)
- Wilton candy eyeballs – you can buy them here on Amazon
First, you need to make the cupcakes!
Before starting this dessert craft with your family, you need to make the cupcakes. I usually make these ahead of time, but if you have older kids they would love to participate in this part too.
I used a cake mix for the cupcakes as it’s quick and easy but you can definitely use your favorite cupcake recipe.
For my recipe, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F. Then I mixed the cake mix based on the package instructions in a large bowl. Next I filled muffin cups lined with a liner with approximately ½ cup of the batter and baked until a tooth pick inserted into the middle came out clean.
Then allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
How to make Spider Cupcakes:
You are going to love how easy it is to make these spider cupcakes.
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, you get to do the fun part which is decorating the cupcakes. My kids loved this part, so I recommend getting the entire family involved!
First place the Oreos in a freezer plastic bag and then beat them with a kitchen tenderizer or a rolling pin until you have crushed Oreos. Just crush them until they are the size that you prefer. Mine were large chunks and were not finely crushed. I recommend using a freezer bag as it holds up better during the crushing of the Oreos.
Then frost cupcakes with the chocolate icing. The icing is important as it’s the glue for the Oreos.
Next top each cupcake with the crushed Oreos. These Oreos represent the “fur” of the spider and it adds great flavor to the cupcake too.
After topping with the Oreos, push in 8 pretzel sticks (4 on each side) into the side of the cupcakes for your spider legs.
Then top the cupcakes with 2 eyes – or 6 or 8 (as my kids did). Then you have adorable spider cupcakes for your family and friends to devour and is perfect for any Halloween party!
This Halloween Cupcakes are just simply adorable!
Now I made one to show my kids how to do it, but then we just set up an assembly line and the kids had a blast making them.
Not only were these cupcakes fun to make, but they tasted good too!
To be honest… I think my kids might have had more fun eating them than making them.
Making them… eating them… we had a ton of fun!
Make sure you take time this weekend or before Halloween to make these fun treats with your kids. Come back and let us know how much they love them!
Print this Easy Spider Cupcakes Recipe:
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Ingredients needed to make the Cupcakes based on the Cake Mix Egg, Oil, Water, etc.
- 1 Container of Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 Package of Oreos
- 1 Package of Pretzel Sticks
- 48 Candy Eyeballs
- Prepare the chocolate cupcakes based on the package instructions.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Crush the Oreos in a Large Freezer Bag.
- Frosting the cupcakes with the Chocolate Icing.
- Sprinkle the crushed Oreos on top of the chocolate frosting. Press them down slightly so that the Oreos do not fall off immediately.
- Push 8 pretzel sticks (4 on each side) into the sides of the cupcakes.
- Then top each cupcake with the 2 candy eyes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
What are good substitutions for these Spider Cupcakes?
- Cupcakes – Use your favorite flavor of cupcakes. We used chocolate as it goes great with the Oreos, but vanilla would be delicious too!
- Frosting – Again, use your favorite flavor. I would recommend chocolate or white frosting for this recipe but use what you have on hand! You can also use food color to help the frosting blend in better with your spider cupcakes if needed. If you don’t have any frosting at all, you can also mix powdered sugar and water together to make an easy glue for your Oreos.
- Pretzels – I have used regular black licorice for the legs as well and they are so adorable. Sometimes kids don’t love black licorice, but if your family loves it, it would work great fore the legs of your spiders!
- Candy Eyeballs – Chocolate chips or red hots also work great for the spider eyes on these Halloween cupcakes.
My kids go crazy over funfetti cupcakes and this recipe for Homemade funfetti cupcakes is super easy.
Check out these other cute spider desserts too!
If you enjoy these fun cupcakes, try these other Easy Halloween Treats!
- Mummies and Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Mummy White Chocolate Truffles
- Jack-O-Latern Chocolate Covered Oreos
- How to Make Ghost Cupcakes
- How to Make and Decorate Ghost Sugar Cookies
- Halloween Spider Cookies
- Halloween Puppy Chow
- Candy Corn Cookies Recipe
- Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Witches Hat Cookies
Super fun recipe for a holiday party! My daughter and I enjoyed these very much!!