This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
The cooler weather is perfect for Homemade Apple Cider Recipe. It is easy to make and will make your house smell amazing.
When I host the holidays at my house, I love making this Homemade Apple Cider Recipe. It makes my home smell amazing and perfect served with a cinnamon stick.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe:
This homemade apple cider is the perfect Fall recipe. At the hint of cooler weather, I start making apple cider and it is so easy. Some people like coffee and hot chocolate, but I love homemade apple cider.
Combine you favorite apples and oranges with a few simple spices for a delicious drink. You can enjoy hot or cold and perfect with a slice of apple pie.
- Medium Apples, assorted such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala
- Oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Whole Cloves
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whole Nutmeg
- Water, about 16-20 cups
- Brown Sugar, depending on taste
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card.
- Maple Syrup – For added warm flavor, feel free to add in maple syrup.
- Apple Cider Cocktails – For a delicious adult drink, add in a splash of bourbon or brandy for a spiked drink.
- Fresh Ginger – If you love the flavor of ginger, feel free to add in more of this fresh spices.
- Chai Tea Bag – I love the flavor of chai tea and adding a bag to my drink is a delicious treat.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Clean and cut apples and oranges. Add to large stockpot.
Step 2 – Next, add the seasonings and mix with the fruit. Cover with water.
Step 3 – Heat over high heat until simmering. Continue to simmer about 2 hours or until apples are very soft.
Step 4 – Mash apples and oranges with a potato masher or large wooden spoon against the side of the pot. Cover and simmer for about 1 more hour. Then strain solids from cider and add in brown sugar.
- Serving – Serve warm, room temperature or chilled with apple slices and cinnamon stick, if desired. This is delicious hot or cold.
- Straining Solids – Carefully strain solids from cider using a cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve. Press solids against the strainer to release the juices.
- Preparing Fruit – Slice the apples and leave the peel on. Make sure to add the orange slices to enhance the citrus flavor.
- Simmer the Mixture – For the best results allow the mixture to simmer for about 2 hours. The fruit should be soft for the best flavor of cider.
What are the Best Apples to Use:
Feel free to use a variety of apples to make this Easy Apple Cider Recipe. We love to use a variety of tart apples for amazing flavor. These are some of our suggestions.
- Pink Lady
- McIntosh Apples
- Fuji Apples
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Honey Crisp Apples
- Cortland Tart Apples
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, this is a great idea when you are serving this apple cider recipe to a crowd. Just put everything in the slow cooker instant of the sauce pan. Cover and cook on low setting and let simmer for about 8 hours. Strain the solids as normal using a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer, pressing solids against the strainer to release the juices. Then it ready to serve and enjoy.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container or covered pitcher and place in the refrigerator. If stored properly it will stay fresh for up to a week.
Freezing apple cider is a great way to prepare for the holiday season. Pour the prepared cider in individual serving in a freezer safe container. Make sure to leave space at top as cider will expand as it freezes.
It needs to be refrigerated and it should last up to 2 weeks.
More Easy Hot Drink Recipes:
We love hearing from you. If you make this easy apple cider recipe, make sure to leave us a comment.
- 10-12 medium apples assorted such as Granny Smith Honeycrisp, Gala
- 2 oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 whole nutmeg
- Water about 16-20 cups
- ½ to 1 cup brown sugar depending on taste
- Clean and cut apples and oranges
- Add to large stockpot
- Add seasonings
- Cover with water
- Heat over high heat until simmering
- Continue to simmer about 2 hours or until apples are very soft
- Mash apples and oranges with a potato masher or large wooden spoon against the side of the pot
- Cover and simmer for about 1 more hour
- Carefully strain solids from cider using a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer, pressing solids against the strainer to release the juices
- Discard the solids
- Add brown sugar to taste
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled with apple slices and cinnamon stick, if desired
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe