This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Homemade eggnog recipe is so rich and creamy. This easy eggnog recipe has the perfect blend of spices for a great holiday drink.
Eggnog is such a classic drink to enjoy during Christmas. It just goes hand in hand with the holidays. Anyone else agree?
I love the smooth and creamy way it tastes with a hint of sweetness. It’s the best and this recipe does not disappoint.
If you have been buying eggnog at the grocery store, try this homemade recipe instead. I will warn you though, it is SO much better than anything store bought.
Also check out this Homemade Apple Cider Recipe.
How to Make Eggnog Safely
In order to make this safe to drink, the mixture with the eggs needs to be cooked.
This process is done very gradually with heated milk so that you don’t scramble the eggs.
Most people prefer cooked eggnog as opposed to raw because it provides a richer flavor.
Ingredients for Homemade eggnog
- Egg Yolks
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Extract
How to make eggnog:
First, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until this mixture is light and creamy.
Second, get out a saucepan and turn the stove to medium heat. Add the heavy cream, milk and cinnamon.
Then stir all of this together and heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. Don’t let it boil!
You will need to watch it closely and don’t walk away from the stove.
Now, gradually add the hot milk to the egg mixture. It is really important that you do this gradually so you don’t scramble the eggs.
I normally do a spoonful at a time and whisk after each spoonful is added.
Continue to follow this process until all the milk has been added to the egg mixture.
After all of the milk has been added, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
Then heat on medium low heat and continue to whisk until the mixture is slightly thickened. Keep in mind that it will thicken some more as it cools.
Just remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Place the eggnog in the refrigerator until it has chilled and thickened.
This is optional but I like to serve it with homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
How to store:
Put the eggnog in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This is such a time saver around the holidays and I love to make it in advance.
It saves time so you can do other things that need to be completed on the holiday or day of the party.
What type of alcohol goes in eggnog?
Brandy, rum or whiskey are the most common choices for eggnog. Use what you prefer.
Homemade eggnog is the best. You can’t go wrong with this delicious recipe.
Make it a new tradition to make eggnog from scratch. It is so rich and creamy. The flavor can’t be beat.
There really isn’t any comparison once you try homemade. It is SO much better than store bought.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how easy it is to make this. Please come back and leave a comment letting us know how it turned out for you.
It’s the best drink!
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until light and creamy.
- Then in a saucepan over medium heat, combine the heavy cream, milk and cinnamon. Stir and heat until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Next gradually add the hot milk to the egg mixture (1 spoonful at a time) whisking after the addition of each spoonful. You want to gradually add in the heated milk so that you do not scramble the eggs. Follow this process until all the milk has been added to the egg mixture.
- Then pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Heat on medium low heat and whisk until the mixture is slightly thickened. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from the heat and then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Store in the mixture in the refrigerator until chilled and thickened.
- Serve topped with fresh whipped cream and additional cinnamon if you prefer.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe