This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Today let’s talk about How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven. I tried it once, loved it, and now I have been making them this way for years.
Sure boiling eggs isn’t hard. Not hard at all. However, when you need to make 24 or maybe 48 for Easter or a giant gathering, it takes a lot less work to throw them in the oven.
I have a large family and all my kids love hard boiled eggs. They usually eat 2 or 3 at a time. I just don’t have a pot for the stove to boil a lot of eggs at a time.
Also, it takes WAY too long to boil them on the stovetop and half the time I would mess them up and they would crack so then I would have to start over all again. So most of the time, I just stopped making them.
You may also want to learn How to Cook Over Hard Eggs.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
You are not going to believe how easy it is make hard boiled eggs in the oven. Soon you’ll be wondering why you haven’t been doing this for years already!
Cooking the eggs in the oven is a fool proof way to make a lot of hard boiled eggs at once. Make sure to set a timer for when using the oven method for the best results. We have even made Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs and Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs.
They are perfect to top your favorite salads for extra protein or to enjoy in an egg salad sandwiches.
- You will need an oven and a muffin pan too
- A bowl of ice water
Scroll to the bottom to see the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Place eggs (as many as you want!) in a muffin tin (or mini muffin pan) to prevent them from rolling around.
Step 2 – Cook for 30 minutes in a preheated oven and then take eggs out of oven. Once cooked remove eggs with tongs.
Step 3 – Immediately place eggs into a bowl of ice water and leave for 10 minutes.
Step 4 – Peel away the shell and Enjoy! Season with salt and pepper for amazing taste.
- Cooking Time – Cooking time will vary based on your oven. You might try these steps with a few eggs to see the level of doneness that you prefer. Then do a big batch once you know how long it takes.
- Ice Water – Once you are done cooking the eggs in the oven, then immediately place in cold water. This will stop the cooking process and helps to make them easier to peel.
- Meal Prep – If you are anything like me, I like to meal prep for the week. It saves me tons of time with my 8 kids and cooking the eggs ahead of time provides a healthy snack for my kids.
- Baking Dish – We recommend placing the eggs in a muffin tin instead of baking dish. It keeps the eggs contained in one spot.
How Long Does it Take to Cook a Hard Boil an Egg?
I cook fresh eggs the oven for 25 minutes – 30 minutes based on how you like your eggs. If you like a soft boiled egg, then just cook for 25 minutes and cook longer if you prefer them more hard.
I recommend that you play around with the time to determine the appropriate amount of time to make perfect hard boiled eggs for your family.
Then I prepare a large ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water. After the eggs are done cooking, place them in the ice bath immediately and allow them to soak for approximately 10 minutes.
After this time, remove the eggs and they are ready to be peeled and enjoy.
How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
Follow these simple steps to easy to peel hard boiled eggs to keep the egg white texture in tact.
- After cooking the eggs in the oven, place the cooked eggs in an ice bath to stop the eggs from cooking. Leave in the ice bath for about 5 minutes. We recommend setting a timer. This makes it easier to peel eggs.
- Gently tap the bottom of the egg on the counter to crack the eggshell.
- The roll the egg on the counter to slightly crack the egg.
- Then start peeling the egg from the bottom to easily remove egg shells. Most of the time the eggshells comes off in large pieces.
- Rinse off the egg under cold water to ensure all the egg shells have been removed.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have tried this oven-baked method on both older eggs and fresh eggs. I could not tell the difference and both cooked with the best color of yolks.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator after peeling. They will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
Try these other Egg Recipes:
- The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe
- How to freeze eggs
- Easy Sausage and Egg Casserole Recipe
- Bacon Egg Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Easy Breakfast Egg Muffins Recipe
- Scrambled Egg Muffins
- How to prevent eggs from cracking when boiling them
We love to hear from you. If you make Hard Boiled Egg in the Oven, please leave us a comment.
Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven
- You will need an oven and a muffin pan too
- a bowl of ice water
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Place eggs (as many as you want!) in a muffin pan (or mini-muffin pan) to prevent them from rolling around.
- Cook for 30 minutes and then take eggs out of oven.
- Immediately place eggs into a bowl of ice water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Peel away the shell and Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe