Learn How to Peel Garlic Easily with these time saving methods. These preferred methods will help you add Garlic to your favorite recipes without a lot of effort.
How to Peel Garlic:
We love adding fresh garlic to our recipes. It brings so much flavor to any recipe that we make, but I always struggle with how to peel it correctly. Learning how to peel garlic bulbs can be such a time save in the kitchen when you are trying to get dinner on table.
It is is great to already have the garlic peeled and ready to go when I need to add it to my recipes. These tips will help you have the garlic already peeled and in the refrigerator ready for you to use.
How to Peel Garlic Cloves:
This is one of our favorite ways to peel garlic cloves. A mason jar or bowl works great for the shake method.
- Step 1. Separate the cloves from the root – Use the palm of your hands to press down firmly to separate the cloves from the root then remove the palm of your hands to see the cloves.
- Step 2. Place Cloves in a large bowl with lid – It needs to be a significant larger bowl than the cloves of garlic
- Step 3 – Shake the bowl to remove the peels – Shake for about 15 seconds and your garlic will be peeled.
You can also use a cocktail shaker to remove the skin following the above steps. Just remember that you will have the aroma of the garlic in the shaker before using again.
Other Garlic Peeling Tips:
Here are some other tips on peeling garlic quickly and easily. We all love garlic but making sure it is peeled and ready for use is the biggest why some don’t use it.
- Press and Peel – Press the garlic with hands to break the garlic into small individual cloves. Then cut the end of the cloves with a knife. Then use the flat side of the knife blading facing to press the garlic to break the skin of the clove. You are now able to remove the skin from the clove.
- Microwave Method – Press the whole head of garlic on a cutting board, breaking up the garlic into the cloves. Using a knife, cut the end of the clove to remove from the clove from the root. Place in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 20 seconds. Once cool, you will then be able to remove the skin.
Does soaking Garlic make it easier to peel?
Soaking garlic in warm water in a metal bowl is a great method if you plan ahead. Soaking in warm water for about 30 minutes allows for the peel to swell allowing the skin to come off. Usually it will come off with your hands, but you might need a knife to peel it off.
How to Pick Garlic:
Garlic is added to foods for its flavor and aroma that it gives to our recipes. It has many health benefits so it is not surprising that we all have these garlic cloves on our counter ready to use.
Garlic doesn’t have a smell unless they are cut. But at the time it is cut, you instantly smell the aroma that garlic has. When picking garlic you want to make sure that they are not soft or rotten. The bulb should be firm and avoid bulbs that are dried out.
How to Mince Garlic:
Using a Garlic Press:
You can use a garlic press but with this method, you do not have to remove the peel. Just place the garlic clove in the garlic press peel and all. The only problem is that that your garlic will only be minced.
This method is only good if you only need a small amount of garlic.
How to Peel Garlic without crushing it?
The best way to peel garlic without crushing it is to take the garlic glove and press against the counter with hand. Once the cloves are separated, place in a bowl of cold water. After about 20 minutes the papery skins will peel right off.
The peeled cloves is ready to be used.
Can you freeze Peeled Garlic Cloves?
The best way to freeze your peeled garlic is by placing it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze the peeled garlic for about an hour. After freezing, then transfer to a freezer safe bag.
The Peeled Garlic will stay good in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
How to Store Garlic:
If you are wanting to store peeled garlic you will need to store in an air tight container or a zip lock back in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for about a week if store properly.
How to remove the garlic smell from your hands:
The best way to remove the garlic smell from your hands with with soap and water. If that doesn’t do the trick, use lemon juice and then wash again with soap and water.
Another way to remove the smell, is making a paste with baking soda and water. Rub this mix over your hands and then wash again with soap and water.
Try these Garlic Peeling Methods:
We have all been there when a recipe calls for fresh garlic. You buy it at the store only to not use it because the process of peeling it. There are many substitutions for garlic such as using garlic powder or the minced garlic in the jar that you buy at the store.
While these substitution do help us in a pinch, it doesn’t take the place of fresh garlic. That is why that these methods of peeling garlic easily and ahead of time helps get the best tasting food done quickly.
Recipes with Garlic:
Print the Instructions on How to Peel Garlic Here:
How to Peel Garlic Easily
- Garlic Cloves
- Separate the cloves from the root. Use the palm of your hands to press down firmly to separate the cloves from the root then remove the palm of your hands to see the cloves.
- Place Cloves in a large bowl with lid. The bowl needs to be a significant larger bowl than the cloves of garlic
- Shake the bowl to remove the peels. Shake for about 15 seconds and your garlic will be peeled.
- Pick the peeled garlic from the bowl, mince and use in your favorite recipes.