This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef Recipe can be ready with very little effort for a flavorful meal your family will love. Everyone will enjoy tender beef seasoned perfectly and cooked in just minutes in the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef Recipe:
Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef is combined with lots of spices and fresh lime to make the best meal. The beef is so tender and tastes like it was slow cooked all day. The meat melts in your mouth and so full of flavor.
No one will know that this meal came together so quickly in the pressure cooker. Your family will think you spent a ton of time when really it was such an easy meal.
The beef is really tender for a meal sure to impress even the pickiest of eaters. Also try our Instant pot Beef Carnitas.
What type of meat is barbacoa?
In the United States, barbacoa is made with beef. But in Mexico traditionally, barbacoa is beef, sheep or goat.
It will depend on what part of the world you live in as to what barbacoa is made from.
What is Barbacoa Beef?
Barbacoa refers to how the food is prepared and the cut of beef that is used. This can vary by region and country and can include beef cheek barbacoa instant pot version.
The pressure cooker barbacoa cheek is optional and you can just use the beef roast or chuck roast if you prefer.
We are using a boneless beef chuck roast. However, historically it is a blend of beef cuts.
You can also try Lamb Barbacoa Instant Pot Recipe:
If you want to change things up, try lamb instead of the beef. Lots of flavor and still just as delicious. You can’t go wrong with this barbacoa recipe.
What to serve with Barbacoa Beef?
- Top Barbacoa Beef on a Flour Tortilla – Serve on your favorite tortillas for an amazing meal. You can try the Best Flour Tortilla Recipe if you have a few extra minutes to make your own.
- Corn Tortilla Option – This shredded beef is also delicious on corn tortillas. Just use what you prefer.
- Taco Bowls – Homemade Tacos bowls is one of my family’s favorite what to eat this Barbacoa Beef. They are so simple to make and these homemade taco bowls taste great and are budget friendly.
- Add a side of Rice – I also like to fix this Delicious Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe to eat with the tacos. It is easy and has amazing cilantro lime flavor.
Your family will love this delicious and flavor packed meal.
Can you Freeze Barbacoa?
You can freeze the beef up to 3 months using a freezer bag or container. If you do not have much space in your freezer, use bags.
They lay flat and can stack for extra room. The leftovers freeze really well and make a super easy meal for another night. You might just want to make extra to have to freeze.
When ready to serve, thaw in the fridge. Then reheat on the stove or in the microwave. It will still taste amazing.
Ingredients you need
- Chuck Roast
- Chipotle Chilies in Adobo
- White Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Beef Broth
With just a few simple ingredients, you will have a flavorful and amazing meal.
How to make Instant Pot Barbacoa:
- Add Roast to Instant Pot – Place the chuck roast in an instant pot. Use at least a 6 quart instant pot.
- Mix the other Ingredients – Place all the other ingredients including cumin and oregano into a food processor and process until well combined.
- Toss into Instant Pot – Pour the mixture on top of the roast in the instant pot.
- Close the Instant Pot Lid – Add the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Begin Pressure Cooking – Set the high pressure for 90 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your beef.
- Do Quick Release – When the cooking is finished, do a natural release to release the pressure.
- Shred meat when done – Remove the lid and shred the meat an stir back into the sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve on your favorite tortillas and with your favorite toppings.
What to top on Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef:
Top with your favorite toppings. Some of our favorites include:
- Sour Cream
- The options are endless.
I also love to squeeze more fresh lime on my taco. Just use what you love the most. These tacos are delicious.
Tip: It’s totally optional but I use this to squeeze my limes. It makes it so easy and we use it for lots of recipes. It comes in very handy.
We use it for all sorts of recipes and it save a ton of time. You will love having one on hand to use.
Beef Barbacoa Cooking Tips:
- The Right Meat to Choose – No need to buy expensive meat. You can use a chuck roast or a should roast as the Instant Pot makes even the toughest meat, tender.
- Browning – You can brown the beef before cooking the instant pot. If your instant pot has the option, you can sear the meat in the instant pot.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo – The key to this amazing recipe is the chipotle peppers. Make sure not to omit this ingredients when making this recipe.
How long does it take for Beef to get tender in Instant Pot?
We recommend cooking beef in the instant pot about 20 minutes for every pound that your roast is. Cooking meat in the instant pot is great way to get tender meat fast.
It is almost as if the beef has cooked all day in the instant pot.
How to make Instant Pot Barbacoa Keto friendly?
Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa is easy to make. Prepare the Barbacoa Beef has indicated with the ingredients listed. If you love rice as much as I do, Cauliflower Rice is a good substitute if you are following the Keto Diet.
You can also enjoy the meat alone or as a salad or a side of roasted vegetables. Add some salsa and guacamole and your meal is complete following the Keto Diet.
Variation Ideas for Barbacoa Beef:
- Spicy Barbacoa Beef – If you like this recipe a little spicier, you can add in hot diced green chilies, add additional chipotle peppers or add in slice jalapeno’s.
- Milder Barbacoa Beef – When preparing this barbacoa beef and you would like it a little milder, you can omit the chilies adobe or use less.
- Add Beer to the Broth – For some extra flavor add in a strong Mexican beer.
- Use other cuts of meats – If you prefer you can use this recipe with other meats such as goat or lamb.
- Slow Cooker – This recipe works in the Slow Cooker if you prefer.
- Bay Leaves – If you prefer you can add it in bay leaves.
How to Store:
Place the beef and sauce inside an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days. This is the perfect meat to meal prep with for the week.
What Instant Pot you need
I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart. I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it.
No worries if you do not have a pressure cooker yet. You can make Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa.
Barbacoa Beef is a Crowd Pleaser:
It is easy to feed a crowd and does not take much work. The preparation is minimum but the results are flavor packed.
This is one recipe that can easily be served numerous different ways. Leftovers are easy to turn into new meals with this tender beef.
Mexican Monday is even easier with fantastic recipes like this. Toss everything into the instant pot for an easy, quick weeknight meal.
Give this a try and let us know what you think. It is going to be a hit with your friends and family.
Print this Instant Pot barbacoa beef recipe below:
Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef Recipe
- Place the chuck roast in an instant pot. Use at least a 6 quart instant pot.
- Place all the other ingredients into a food processor and process until well combined. Pour the mixture on top of the roast in the instant pot.
- Add the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Set the pressure for 90 minutes.
- When the cooking is finished, do a quick release to release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and shred the meat an stir back into the sauce.
- Serve on your favorite tortillas and with your favorite toppings.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe