This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is a delicious and comforting recipe that cooks easily in the pressure cooker. Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes for a delicious weeknight meal.
Easy Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Recipe:
We love using our instant pot for many different meals. It makes for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. This Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Recipe is a family favorite and loaded with flavor.
Ground beef patties are turned into a delicious meal covered in a creamy gravy. This comforting meal is great anytime of the year, but we love to serve on a cold winter day. If you would prefer to use the slow cooker try Crock Pot Salisbury Steak.
Serve this delicious meal over mashed potatoes or egg noodles with a side of roasted vegetables for a complete meal idea. This meal is ready in less than 30 minutes but it taste like you have been cooking it all day.
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak is a classic recipe that my mom would make for Sunday dinner. Ground beef is formed into hamburger patties with simple seasoning. They are then cooked and smothered with an onion and mushroom gravy.
Salisbury Steak can either be prepared on the stovetop or crock pot. But for an easier way to enjoy old fashioned Salisbury Steak make it in the instant pot. It makes for a delicious meal when served with mashed potatoes.
For the Patties:
- Lean Ground Beef
- Bread Crumbs
- Large Egg (beaten)
- Salt and Pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce
For the Gravy:
- Onion, sliced
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Brown Gravy Mix
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon Mustard
- Cold Water
How to Make Salisbury Steak in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Prepare Patties – Mix together the patties ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then divide the mixture into 6 even patties.
Brown the patties in a large skillet on the stove top over medium high heat for approximately 3 minutes per side.
Do not cook the patties all the way through.
You can also brown the patties right in the instant pot using the sauté function.
- Step 2 – Add Mushrooms and Onions – Place the mushrooms and onions in the bottom of an instant pot. Then place the patties on top.
- Step 3 – Mix the Gravy together – In a mixing bowl, whisk together the brown gravy mix and beef broth. Then add in Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard. Pour this mixture into the instant pot over the beef.
- Step 4 – Pressure Cook – Seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing position to the venting position.
- Step 5 – Remove Patties – Remove the patties from the instant pot and set aside.
- Step 6 – Thicken the Gravy – Switch the instant pot to the saute function. Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Stir this mixture into the instant pot.
- Step 7 – Cook until thicken – Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn the instant pot off and add the beef patties back to the instant pot.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy.
How to Make the Salisbury Steak Gravy:
Salisbury Steak gravy is one of my favorite parts of this recipe. The great thing about this recipe, is there is no need to dirty up any more pans. You can make the gravy straight in the instant pot.
- Prepare the hamburger patties in the instant pot as the recipe indicates.
- While the patties are cooking, prepare cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch and water together.
- Once the patties are done cooking, remove them from the instant pot.
- Turn the instant pot setting to sauté. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the gravy that is in the pressure cooker.
- Continue stirring the mixture until it thickens. Then add the add the patties back in the instant pot.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak:
- Mashed Potatoes – Making mashed potatoes with this recipe is a must, according to my kids. You can serve the gravy mixture and patties over the top on the side.
- Egg Noodles – This dish is delicious served over large egg noodles. It is a lighter option but still is comforting and hearty.
- Roasted Broccoli – I love a side of roasted broccoli. It roast perfectly in the oven and I even like to pour the gravy over the broccoli.
- Homemade Rolls – To make sure you get every drop of the gravy, make sure you make a side of homemade rolls. They are easy to make and pair perfectly with this recipe.
- Rice – Salisbury steak is always good over brown rice or white rice.
What is the Difference between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak?
The main difference between salisbury steak and hamburger steak is what is mixed with the ground beef. Salisbury steak is mixed with bread crumbs, sauces and seasoning.
But Hamburger Steak is prepared with only salt and pepper.
- Hamburger Patties – Make sure to combine the ground beef with the seasoning. We also recommend cooking the patties in olive oil before adding to the instant pot. This allows the patties to stay together and provides a crispy texture.
- Slice Vegetables – We recommend slicing the onions and mushrooms ahead of time to save time.
- Prepare ahead of time – Some of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time so it is easy to toss into the pressure cooker. We have even prepared the patties and froze them to save time the next time we make this meal.
- Natural Release – We recommend doing a quick release instead of a natural release after preparing the hamburger patties.
- After Cooking Patties – To prepare the gravy, place the patties on a plate. This will allow to prepare the gravy so it thickens.
- Brown Bits – You may need to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Ground Beef – We used lean ground beef in this recipe. But feel free to use what you prefer. You can even mix in ground turkey if you prefer.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning. You can add in garlic powder, onion powder, or we have even mixed in a onion soup mix for added flavor.
- Vegetable – For a one pot meal option, you can cook vegetables in with your Salisbury steak. We recommend cook green and carrots for a delicious variation.
- Mushrooms – If you prefer not to have large slice mushrooms in the gravy, you can add in a can of cream of mushrooms soup.
Why Make Instant Pot Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak patties is a classic recipe that I grew up having. It is budget friendly and is a meal that can feed a large family. The mushroom gravy that is poured over the hamburger patties gives it so much flavor.
We love to serve this Salisbury steak with a side of mashed potatoes, vegetable and a roll. Cooking the Salisbury Steak in the instant pot is a quick and easy meal that the pressure cook does all the work.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Salisbury Steak is delicious leftover. We think it taste even better because the ingredients really marinate together overnight to provide flavor.
Store in individual containers for an easy lunch the next day. You can easily microwave leftovers for a quick lunch.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Salisbury Steak:
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
For the Patties:
- Mix together the patties ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then divide the mixture into 6 even patties. Brown the patties in a large skillet over medium high heat for approximately 3 minutes per side. Do not cook the patties all the way through.
- Place the mushrooms and onions in the bottom of an instant pot. Then place the patties on top.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the brown gravy mix, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard. Pour this mixture into the instant pot over the beef.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing to the venting position.
- Remove the patties from the instant pot and set aside.
- Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Stir this mixture into the instant pot. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn the instant pot off and add the beef patties back to the instant pot.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes:
- Instant pot Ground Beef Stew Recipe
- Steak and Potatoes Stew Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe