Instant pot Steak and Potatoes Beef Stew recipe is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s a fun twist on traditional beef stew, but still simple, easy and delicious.
Instant pot Steak and Potatoes Beef Stew recipe
We all love beef stew and it is even better in the instant pot! It is truly comfort food at its best.
The beef is so tender that you can cut it with a fork. The potatoes and carrots are packed with flavor. Yum!
It really does not get any better than this delicious stew.
We all have crazy schedules and dinner time can be tricky. However, this recipe is so easy and requires such little time to prepare and cook.
It is the perfect meal to make for busy days. If saving time is something you need to do, try this recipe!
It’s our favorite Instant Pot recipe!
Instant pot Steak and Potatoes Stew
I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart if you prefer.
We also used our instant pot to make another simple meal, Instant Pot Steak and Potatoes. I love having simple recipes I can throw together quickly.
It really helps on busy nights. Take out is not that good and goodness it is expensive! Try this recipe and you will not need take out!
No worries if you do not have a an instant pot yet. You can try Crock Pot Steak and Potatoes Beef Stew Recipe.
What kind of meat do you use for Instant pot beef stew?
The nice thing about stew is you can use tougher more inexpensive cuts of meat. If you cannot find stew meat, you can use round steak and cut them into bite size pieces.
You can also use roast or even a bottom roast. It will all turn out great.
Another idea is to make Ground Beef and Potato Stew. It will change the texture but might be a nice change.
We have even made Beef stew with red wine for a little bit different flavor. It is a lightly different but delicious flavor.
How do you make beef stew meat tender?
Just use the instant pot and you will have tender meat. It will be out of this world.
The beef stew meat will fall apart with just your fork thanks to the pressure cooker.
What kind of potatoes are best for beef stew?
We used russet potatoes, but Yukon gold or red potatoes will also work well.
Ingredients for Beef Stew with Potatoes and Carrots:
- Stew Meat
- Red Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Steak Seasoning
- A1 Steak Sauce (any brown steak sauce will do)
- Beef Broth
- Corn Starch
- You can also add in 2 bay leaves (optional)
How to make Beef Stew with Carrots and Potatoes:
- Chop up the red onion and the Yukon gold potatoes into bite size chunks. You want them bigger but you want to be able to eat them in one bite.
- Place the vegetables in the Instant pot.
- Add the beef.
- Season with the minced garlic, steak seasoning.
- Pour the A1 steak sauce and the beef broth over it.
- Stir to combine. Add the lid. Lock the lid and make sure the top is set to sealing.
- Press the manual button and set the cooking time on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once finished, allow it to release naturally for at least 10 or 15 minutes and then do the quick release to release pressure.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl. Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting and stir the cornstarch mixture into the instant pot. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the lid and serve.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a little Worcestershire sauce.
Tips for the best Beef Stew
- Use the Natural Release. I do not recommend doing a quick release to release the pressure. You will want the natural release to help make the stew meat tender.
- How to thicken the sauce. Use Cold Water for the cornstarch slurry to thicken the stew. This one extra step really makes the beef stew even better.
- Cut Your potatoes bigger than you think. Since the potatoes will cook faster than the beef, you will want them quite large so they don’t turn into mush in the Instant pot.
You can brown the Stew Meat
*Note: You can brown the meat on both sides before putting in the instant pot if you prefer. I use the saute function.
First drizzle in some olive oil to brown the beef first and then the brown bits just add extra flavor to the beef stew. You add the onion when you are browning the beef for even more flavor.
It’s totally optional.
Steak and Potatoes Stew is so tender and delicious.
You can make Beef and potato stew stove top version but just note it is usually not as tender. It is still yummy though.
What to serve with Beef Stew
My favorite thing is to dip the bread in the stew. It’s the best and makes for such a hearty meal.
Sometimes, I pick a loaf up at the bakery. If I have extra time, I sometimes make Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls.
This recipe is also delicious with Homemade Cornbread.
The entire family will enjoy this Easy Beef and Potato Stew!
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Try Beef stew with potatoes for a quick meal that does not disappoint.
The steak sauce with the beef stock in this easy beef stew recipe is what makes this simple recipe completely packed with flavor! It has a delicious kick that keeps you comping back for more.
You may even want to make a double batch because it tastes amazing left over as well!
I love when we have leftovers. My kids like when I mash the leftover potatoes with the beef broth the next day.
Print this Pressure Cooker Steak and Potatoes Stew recipe below:
Steak and Potatoes Beef Stew Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recipe
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 4 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Steak seasoning
- 1/2 cup A1 steak sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Chop up the red onion and the potatoes into bite size chunks. You want them bigger, but you want to be able to eat them in one bite.
- Place them in the Instant pot.
- Top with the stew meat.
- Season with the minced garlic and steak seasoning.
- Pour the A1 steak sauce and the beef broth over the top of these ingredients.
- Stir to combine. Add the lid make sure the top is set to sealing.
- Press the manual button and set the pressure on high for 10 minutes.
- Once finished, allow it to do the natural release for at least 10 minutes and then do the quick release to finish releasing the pressure.
- Stir together the water and cornstarch. Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting and stir in this cornstarch mixture. Heat for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the live and serve in bowls with your favorite crusty bread for a complete dinner idea.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe