Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is a hearty soup full of Italian sausage, kale and more. The savory broth is flavorful and easy to make. The pressure cooker gets this on the table fast.
Instant pot zuppa toscana
This is my favorite soup to order at Olive Garden and I wanted to try making it at home. This Zuppa Toscana soup is amazing and the results were delicious.
The next time the craving hits for this yummy soup, you can make it at home in minutes. It is so easy but tastes like it was slow cooked all day.
The broth is so rich and creamy. It really is the best soup.
Ingredients for Zuppa Toscana:
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- onion, chopped
- Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Bunch Kale, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese (for topping)
How to make Zuppa Toscana in the Instant pot
- First, put the ground sausage, onion and olive oil in the pressure cooker.
- Use the sauté setting and cook until the sausage is browned. I like to break up the sausage as it cooks. Make sure to drain off any excess grease from the Instant Pot insert.
- Next, add in the minced garlic, diced potatoes, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Combine all of the ingredients and seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the cook time has finished, do a quick release by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing position to the venting position.
- Switch the instant pot back to the sauté setting.
- Finally, stir in the heavy cream and kale. Let this cook for about 1 to 2 minutes until the kale is slightly wilted.
Serve and enjoy. We like to top each bowl with parmesan cheese.
What to serve with Zuppa Toscana?
- Bread. You definitely want something to dip into this creamy broth. Pick up some from the bakery or make breadsticks or dinner rolls.
How to store:
Place leftovers inside in airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep up to 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze Zuppa Toscana?
Yes, you can but it should be eaten within 3 weeks of freezing. The consistency will change slightly from freezing but it will still taste delicious.
This soup is definitely best served fresh as the potatoes can start to get mushy but freezing is an option.
Make sure to use a good freezer container or freezer bag to store the soup.
Can you make this soup in advance?
You can meal prep most of the ingredients and have it in your freezer for an easy meal.
- Brown the Italian sausage and onion together. Let this completely cool and place inside a freezer bag.
- Then add the other ingredients except the liquid and kale to the freezer bag.
- Freeze until ready to cook. It will keep up to 2 months.
- When ready to cook, put the ingredients into the pressure cooker. It is ok to do this frozen. You can run the bag under hot water if you are having trouble getting the bag off the food.
- Then add the broth and set to sealing for 30 minutes. Do a quick release and add the heavy cream and kale. Allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes using the sauté setting.
Now you have a simple but delicious freezer meal ready to go.
This method is a great way to save some time during the week since the meat will already be cooked. Just toss and go for a great dinner.
Can you use spinach?
Yes, you can. Just substitute the same amount of spinach for the kale and follow the normal instructions.
Traditionally, this soup is made with kale but I think spinach works as well in this recipe. Kale and spinach can be used interchangeably in this soup.
Feel free to use the one you prefer or already have.
What kind of sausage to use?
You need to use ground Italian sausage in this soup. If you like things spicy, you can use the hot variety.
My family loves it with spicy Italian sausage but regular sausage is delicious too.
For even more heat, try adding red pepper flakes.
How to make Dairy free Zuppa Toscana?
Instead of heavy whipped cream, use almond milk creamer. It is thick and rich so it will provide the same consistency as heavy cream. You can also use coconut cream if you prefer.
Other options include coconut milk or almond milk. However, it will not be as rich and creamy if you use these instead of coconut cream or almond creamer.
You won’t be able to taste the dairy free alternatives so it is still perfect for the entire family. I doubt anyone even notices that you didn’t use heavy cream.
Tips for ITALIAN SAUSAGE POTATO SOUP:
- Make sure to saute the sausage first using the sauté setting. It is important to cook the sausage before adding the other ingredients.
- The soup will be creamer if you use russet potatoes. They are extra starchy and make for a great soup.
- Add the kale always at the end of the cook time. Don’t add this in the beginning or you will have a mushy mess. Kale only takes a minute to cook so it is really important to add this at the very last moment.
Can you make this in the slow cooker?
Yes, if you prefer to use the crockpot you can.
Brown the ground Italian sausage first and place in the crockpot. Add everything else except the whipping cream and kale.
Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Add the whipping cream and kale to the crockpot right before serving. Combine until well blended and heated through.
You can get full instructions for crock pot Zuppa Toscana recipe.
- Top with crumbled cooked bacon. It is so tasty with the soup and goes great with the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Ground pork or chorizo can be used in this soup instead of Italian sausage. It will change the flavor but still makes a great soup.
- Stove top option. You can make this on the stove if you prefer. Brown the ground sausage and add the other ingredients except the kale and whipping cream.
Bring this to a boil and then turn to medium heat for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the kale and whipping cream and simmer for a few more minutes until tender.
Zuppa Toscana instant pot recipe is delicious.
It is a great recipe. Pressure cooking makes it fast and easy.
In fact, it is one of our favorite copycat recipes. I love being able to enjoy this at home anytime I want.
This recipe saves so much money and it is so easy to make. The results are flavorful and so delicious. Plus, the recipe makes a lot so everyone can enjoy leftovers for lunch.
Print this instant pot zuppa Toscana recipe:
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ onion chopped
- 4 Russet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Bunch Kale stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Add the ground sausage, onion and olive oil to the Instant Pot and put the Instant pot on the sauté setting.
- Cook until the sausage is browned and break up the sausage as it cooks. Then drain off any excess grease from the Instant Pot insert.
- Then add in the minced garlic, diced potatoes, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing position to the venting position.
- Then switch the instant pot back to the sauté setting. Stir in the heavy cream and kale. Cook until the kale is slightly wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
- Serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe