This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is the best fall dessert. If you are a fan of pumpkin desserts, then you need to make this recipe.
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
This fall cake dessert is made from scratch and topped with homemade cream cheese frosting. It is moist, delicious and easy to make. The simple ingredients makes a crowd favorite dessert for the holidays.
This dessert is my go-to recipe for all my holiday plans. It is full of pumpkin flavor and adding the best cream cheese frosting to the cake makes it so delicious.
I love that all the ingredients are combined in one bowl and then baked in a baking dish. We love pumpkin recipes and this is one of my favorites. Impress your family and friends this holiday and make this delicious dessert.
Why You Will Love this Pumpkin Cake Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients – There are no complicated ingredients in this recipe. If you are a baker then you probably have all the ingredients.
- Easy to Make – We love that this pumpkin cake is made easily in a baking dish. If you are looking for a quick and easy fall dessert, make this one.
- Easy Rich Cream Cheese Frosting – We are big fans of making frosting from scratch and this one is so easy. It really gives this cake recipe so much flavor.
For the Cake:
- All Purpose Flour
- Pure Pumpkin (15 ounces)
- Large Eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Butter (room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Pumpkin Cake:
For the Cake:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Combine Dry Ingredients – In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Then add in pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 – Add in Sugar – In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil or pumpkin until combined.
- Step 4 – Mix in Eggs – Then add in the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Step 5 – Combine Dry & Wet Ingredients – Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Step 6 – Pour into Pan – Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Step 7 – Bake Cake – Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 8 – Cool Cake – Remove the cake from the oven. Then let it cool completely at room temperature for topping with the frosting.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Step 1 – Combine Cream Cheese & Butter – Beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer.
- Step 2 – Mix in Powdered Sugar – Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix on a low speed until combined and the frosting is smooth.
- Step 3 – Frost Cake – Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Then the cake is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pumpkin Cake Recipe Tips:
- Baking Pan – This recipe is perfect baked in a 9×13 baking pan. But you can also use round cake pan. We have even make cupcakes with this pumpkin cake recipe. Make sure to spray cooking spray to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
- Combine Ingredients – Combine the ingredients in a large bowl until the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Pumpkin Puree – When making this recipe you must use pure pumpkin instead of pumpkin pie filling. The pumpkin pie filling will cause the cake to be running.
- Baking Cake – Cooking time will vary on baking the cake. Use a toothpick to check if cake is done. If toothpick center comes out clean then cake is cooked.
- Cool Cake – Place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely before adding the tangy cream cheese frosting.
- Cake Pan – There are many pans that you can use to bake the cake. We have used a Bundt cake pan, round cake pans or a cupcake pan. If you baking in a round cake pans, you can easily layer cake for a beautiful presentation.
- Pumpkin – We recommend using canned pumpkin in this recipe. You can use fresh pumpkin if you prefer. But we like the texture and softness of how the canned pumpkin taste.
- Pumpkin Cake Seasoning – We love the flavor of pumpkin pie spice. Feel free to add in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or ginger.
- Chopped Nuts – If you want to add a layer of crunch, feel free to add in chopped pecans or chopped walnuts. You can even add some to the top after frosting.
- Frosting – This cake is delicious with the cream cheese frosting. But you can use canned cream cheese frosting instead of making it from scratch. You can also dust with confectioner’s sugar instead of adding a frosting.
- Chocolate Chips – If you love the pumpkin and chocolate combination, mix in chocolate chips to the pumpkin batter. You can even add some to the top after frosting the cake.
- Pumpkin Muffins – If you prefer, you can make this cake into muffins but baking in a cupcake pan. Then frost the cupcakes with delicious frosting for an individual treat.
- Cake Mix – We made the cake from scratch, but you can also use a pumpkin spice cake for a delicious variation.
Can I Prepare Ahead of Time?
We are so busy during the holidays that I am always looking for desserts that I can prepare ahead of time. This Pumpkin Cake is one of them as it so easy to make.
Since the cake needs to cool completely before frosting. We recommend making it the night before serving and then adding the frosting.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Cake:
If you are preparing this cake for your Thanksgiving dinner, then double it so you can enjoy it for Christmas. This Pumpkin Cake freezes great and if stored properly it will last about 3 months.
If I double the recipe, I bake it in a disposable pan. Then top the cake with plastic wrap and aluminum foil to complete cover.
When you are ready to serve, allow the cake to thaw completely. Then add the frosting and serve just like you just made it.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftover cake covered for up to 5 days. This cake is great for any occasion. Since it stores so well, bake and cover with plastic wrap.
Then when you are ready to enjoy, frost and it is ready to be served.
Easy Moist Pumpkin Cake Recipe:
This is the perfect dessert to make for someone special who loves pumpkin desserts. I love that it is easy to make with simple ingredients. Which makes this a budget friendly dessert that anyone will enjoy.
Print Recipe for Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil or pumpkin until combined.
- Then add in the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely at room temperature for topping with the frosting.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy with a hand held mixer or stand up mixer.
- Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix on a low speed until combined and the frosting is smooth.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Then the cake is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe