We love ribs around here and making ribs in a slow cooker makes this recipe SO easy. Crockpot BBQ Ribs is delicious and made with simple ingredients.
Crock Pot BBQ Ribs Recipe:
I promise it’s not too complicated to make this delicious ribs recipe. It’s easy to throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do all the work so you don’t have to watch them all day in the oven.
Cooking the ribs in the slow cooker is my favorite way. You literally set it and forget it. Your house will smell wonderful and the meat is fall off the bone tender. The sauce is sweet and spicy and oh so delicious.
I’m certain your family will love this crockpot ribs recipe as much as we do. I have seen a lot of recipes that use a store bought barbecue sauce. I have tried both and I think making your own sauce is a game changer for this recipe.
What is the Difference between Baby Back Ribs and Spare Ribs?
Baby Back Ribs are more leaner than spare ribs. Baby back ribs are usually more expensive than spare ribs. They are usually cut about the same and weigh about 2 pounds.
Spare ribs are cut from the ends of baby back ribs.
How to Prep Ribs before Slow Cooking:
Ribs in the crockpot recipe is a great weeknight dinner. Prepare the ribs by mixing the sauce rub to spread on the ribs. To fit the ribs in the crock pot, you will need to cut in thirds with a sharp knife.
Once the ribs are cut, rub the sauce over the ribs. Allow the ribs to cook for at least 6 hours on low for the best crockpot barbeque ribs.
Table of Contents
- Crock Pot BBQ Ribs Recipe:
- What is the Difference between Baby Back Ribs and Spare Ribs?
- How to Prep Ribs before Slow Cooking:
- Ingredients for BBQ Ribs:
- How to Cook BBQ Ribs in a Crock Pot:
- How Long to Cook Ribs in a Crock Pot:
- Tips for the Best BBQ Ribs:
- What Kind of Ribs to Buy for Slow Cooker Ribs:
- Substitutions and Variations:
- What to Serve with Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs:
- Can I Slow Cook Ribs in 4 Hours?
- Should you Sear Ribs before Slow Cooking?
- How to Store Leftovers:
- Print Slow Cooker Ribs Recipe:
- Slow Cooker BBQ ribs recipe Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Ribs Recipe:
Ingredients for BBQ Ribs:
- White Vinegar
- Minced Onion
- Brown Sugar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Pork Ribs
How to Cook BBQ Ribs in a Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Mix Sauce Ingredients – In a small bowl, add the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Mix well.
- Step 2 – Cut Ribs – Use scissors or a sharp knife to cut ribs in half or in thirds to fit into your slow cooker.
- Step 3 – Coat ribs with Sauce – Place one slab of ribs into the crockpot and generously coat with BBQ sauce. Place the remaining ribs in the slow cooker, coating with sauce after each addition. Pour water around the edges of the crock.
- Step 4 – Cover and Cook – Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – If you want to caramelize the sauce once the ribs are done, you can broil the ribs for 5-10 minutes on a baking sheet or grill the ribs for approximately 5 minutes on each side. Then salt and pepper the ribs to your liking and enjoy.
How Long to Cook Ribs in a Crock Pot:
For fall off the bone ribs, we recommend cooking the ribs on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
Tips for the Best BBQ Ribs:
- Sauce Ingredients – We recommend combining the sauce ingredients in a small bowl before rubbing on ribs.
- Cut Ribs – To fit the ribs in the slow cooker, cut the ribs before placing in the slow cooker. When layering the ribs in the slow cooker, make sure to add sauce to each layer.
- Broil Ribs – For a caramelized, you can broil the ribs in the oven.
What Kind of Ribs to Buy for Slow Cooker Ribs:
I use pork ribs for this recipe or baby back pork ribs. I find that the meat tenderly falls off the bones when they are cooked in the crock pot.
Whichever you choose, ensure that you remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. This member keeps them from getting tender. I usually pull it off with my fingers or scrape it off with a knife if needed.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Molasses – If you can’t find molasses at your grocery store, you can use honey or maple syrup instead.
- Garlic – You can use garlic salt or garlic powder instead of minced garlic.
- Spicy Ribs – If you like your ribs with a little kick, I recommend add 2 teaspoons of chili powder to the sauce recipe.
- Dry Rub – Feel free to use a dry rub instead of the sauce marinade.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs:
Here are my favorite side dishes that I love serving with this easy slow cooker rib recipe!
- Quick and Easy Baked Beans – We never have ribs without beans.
- Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe – I love a classic pasta salad anytime of the year.
- Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole – This is easy to make and goes great with this ribs recipe.
- Pan Fried Potatoes Recipe – These potatoes go great with everything!
- See Best Sides for Ribs for more easy ideas.
Can I Slow Cook Ribs in 4 Hours?
If you could ribs on high, you can could for 4 hours. However, if you want the fall off the bone tenderness we recommend cooking on low and longer time.
Should you Sear Ribs before Slow Cooking?
You do not need to sear ribs before slow cooking. You can place them in the oven after slow cooking on low to caramelize the BBQ Sauce.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store your leftovers in an air tight container and place in the fridge. These ribs will last about 4 days if stored properly.
Print Slow Cooker Ribs Recipe:
Slow Cooker BBQ ribs recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2.5-3 lbs pork ribs
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small mixing bowl, add ketchup, molasses, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Mix well.
- Use scissors or a sharp knife to cut ribs in half or in thirds to fit into your slow cooker.
- Place one slab of ribs into the crock and generously coat with sauce. Place the remaining ribs in the slow cooker, coating with sauce after each addition. Pour water around the edges of the crock.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Any slow cooker recipes for beef ribs?
We have a delicious and easy crock pot short ribs recipe that you can find here.
Have made these before and loved them, however was just wondering if they could be frozen when put in the slow cooker or should they be thawed! Have always thawed them out but forgot to take them out of freezer last night!? ! Thanks so much!!
These were outstanding!! Don’t keep them on beyond 6 hours because the caramelization begins to burn. Will definitely make again. Used short ribs. Wonderful!