This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Delicious Steak and Cheese Quesadillas recipe combines bite sized skirt steak, sauteed onions and gooey cheese. It is perfect for leftover steak and makes a fabulous lunch or dinner idea.
Anytime we have leftover steak, I love to make this steak quesadilla recipe. It is one of my favorite meals and everyone agrees it is delicious. In fact, no one ever realizes they are eating leftovers when I turn it into such a yummy meal.
The sauteed onions are perfect and add so much flavor to the steak. The cheese is gooey, and the tortillas are perfectly crispy. The entire meal comes together quick and easy for the best weeknight meal.
Once you learn how to make a steak and cheese quesadilla, this item will be on your regular menu plan rotation. This recipe is the best!
- Skirt Steak (diced into 1 inch pieces so they cook evenly)
- Vegetable Oil
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Medium Onion (Diced)
- Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- Flour Tortillas burrito size
How to make steak quesadillas:
- Step 1. Prepare the skillet and over medium high heat. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. You can also use olive oil if you prefer.
- Step 2. Cook the steak and onions. Place the thin strips of steak and diced onions in the skillet in an even layer. Season the steak with salt, pepper and onion powder. Sauté the steak for 4-8 minutes per side until it’s browned slightly and cooked through.
- Step 3. Allow the steak to rest. Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes before assembling the quesadillas. This will keep all of those delicious juices and flavors inside.
- Step 4. Heat the pan. Heat a griddle over medium high heat or you can heat a cast iron skillet.
- Step 5. Assemble the quesadillas. Place the tortillas on the griddle or skillet. Top each tortilla with a small amount of each type of shredded cheese, then layer the steak and onions on top and then add more cheese. Carefully fold each tortilla in half making a half moon shape.
- Step 6. Cook the quesadillas. Cook until one side of the tortilla is golden brown (1-2 minutes). Flip and then cook until the other side is golden brown as well (1-2 minutes). Watch them closely as they brown quickly.
- Step 7. Cut and serve. Remove the quesadillas onto a cutting board. Slice them and they are ready to serve and enjoy!
How to store and reheat:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat these in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
Another option is to reheat in the oven on a baking sheet. Set the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes until crispy and heated through.
If you need to store them longer, freeze the quesadillas by wrapping them in plastic wrap. Then place them inside a freezer bag or container. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat as normal.
Make sure to allow the quesadillas to cool completely before storing whether refrigerating or freezing.
Tips for making steak and cheese quesadillas:
- Don’t overfill. The quesadillas should be able to close and not be overfilled with the steak and toppings.
- Bite size pieces. The steak should be cut into small easy to eat pieces. This will ensure you have steak in every bite.
- Steak. We used skirt steak for this recipe but you can also use flank steak if you prefer. Either option is delicious so feel free to use what is on sale or you already have. We have even used sirloin or chuck steak when we had leftovers.
- Veggies. Red or green bell peppers mixed in with the onion taste amazing. It gives it so much flavor and a pop of color. You can also use red onion.
- Seasoning. Garlic is delicious in this recipe. You can use garlic powder, minced garlic or fresh garlic.
- Sour cream. Dollop sour cream on the quesadilla before cooking and it is really yummy with the cheese as it melts.
- Spicy. If you like extra heat, add jalapeno peppers to the steak mixture inside the quesadilla.
- Cheese. You can use any type of cheese you love or have on hand. Other great ideas include pepperjack, Colby, cheddar cheese, or provolone cheese.
- change the spices. This recipe is amazing, but you can also season the steak with steak seasoning or taco seasoning.
What to serve with Steak and Cheese Quesadillas:
- Homemade Salsa. It is so easy to make this homemade salsa or you can use store bought.
- Pico De Gallo – This is so fresh and delicious. It pairs perfectly with quesadillas.
- Guacamole Recipe – Whip up a batch of guacamole for the perfect pairing with steak quesadillas.
Quesadillas are so much fun for dipping and taste amazing with these. Feel free to serve with your favorites and everyone can choose what they want.
Your family will love these easy to make quesadillas with hardly any effort. This is quicker and cheaper than takeout. Not to mention you will save money.
Turn your leftover steak into the absolute best steak quesadillas for a tasty and easy meal. They are great for lunch, dinner, parties and Game Day. You will not be disappointed.
Easy steak and cheese quesadilla recipe:
Steak and Cheese Quesadillas
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the steak and diced onions in the skillet in an even layer. Season the steak with salt, pepper and onion powder. Sauté the steak for 4-8 minutes per side until it’s browned slightly and cooked through.
- Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes before assembling the quesadillas.
- Heat a griddle over medium high heat or you can heat a cast iron skillet.
- Place the tortillas on the griddle or skillet. Top each tortilla with a small amount of each cheese, then layer the steak and onions on top and then add more cheese. Carefully fold each tortilla in half making a half moon shape.
- Cook until one side of the tortilla is golden brown (1-2 minutes). Flip and then cook until the other side is golden brown as well (1-2 minutes). Watch them closely as they brown quickly.
- Remove the quesadillas onto a cutting board. Slice them and they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More quesadillas recipes:
- Taco Bell Steak Quesadilla
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Quesadilla
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Quesadilla