This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Tortilla Roll Ups is a classic appetizer that we serve for the holidays or game day parties. They are loaded with flavor and easy to make.
Tortilla Roll Ups Recipe:
If you are looking for an easy appetizer that is perfect to make ahead, make these Tortilla Roll Ups. Cream cheese is mixed with sour cream, cheese, and simple seasoning to make a delicious filling.
Everyone loves Tortilla Roll Ups because they are bite size and are so delicious. They are a favorite with the kids but adults love them too. My kids love to help makes these since no baking is involved.
These tortilla roll ups can be made with a variety of ingredients. These are the easiest, quickest party food for any occasion. Creamy, cheesy appetizer that is a crowd favorite.
What is a Tortilla Roll Up?
Tortilla Roll Ups are the perfect party food. They ingredients are simple and can easily be changed to what you have on hand. Tortilla Rolls Ups are best to make ahead of time and then sliced to serve.
The cream cheese based spread can be loaded with many different seasoning, add in meats or make it without. Always a crowd favorite and simple enough where the kids can help slice.
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Sour Cream
- Shedded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Green Chiles (4 ounce can – drained)
- Chopped Green Onions
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Flour Tortillas
How to Make Tortilla Roll Ups:
- Step 1 – Beat Cream Cheese and Sour Cream – Beat together the cream cheese and sour cream with a hand held or stand up mixer.
- Step 2 – Stir in remaining ingredients – Then stir in the cheddar shredded cheese, green chiles, green onions, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Step 3 – Spread on Tortilla – Spread the mixture evenly on each of the flour tortillas and roll them up tightly.
- Step 4 – Wrap and Refrigerate – Wrap each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to over night.
- Step 5 – Slice, serve and Enjoy – When ready to serve, slice each wrap into approximately ¾” thick rounds. Serve with your favorite salsa and enjoy.
- Cream Cheese – We recommend to use softened cream cheese to make the spread. It blends easy and helps to keep the spread soft and creamy.
- Tortilla – We like to use the burrito size tortillas when making this recipe. It is large and allow you to get multiple roll ups out of it.
- Rolling the Tortilla – Once you have put the spread on the tortilla, make sure to roll the tortilla tightly. Then wrap each tortilla with plastic wrap and then refrigerate. When slicing this helps to keep the roll ups tight for serving.
- Slicing Rolls Ups – Slice the tortilla rounds about ¾ inch thick rounds. This is the perfect size for serving as an appetizer.
- Make Ahead – These tortilla are perfect to make ahead and store in the refrigerator. One less thing you have to worry about preparing.
- Prevent Soggy Roll Ups – To prevent your roll ups from getting soggy make sure to serve them within about 2 to 3 days.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Tortilla Pinwheel Sandwiches – You can easily tortilla ups with meat. You can add in diced ham or turkey for added flavor. We usually dice up the meat and top the cream cheese spread once it is on the tortilla. Ham and cheese rolls up are my kids favorite.
- Add Spice – If you would like extra spicy, feel free to sprinkle some red pepper flakes to the cream cheese spread.
- Mexican Tortilla Roll Ups – If you are having a Mexican themed party, add taco seasoning to your spread mixture. You can also change the cheese to Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese or other types of cheese. Feel free to add some fresh cilantro too.
- Add Vegetables – Finely shred some cauliflower or broccoli for some added flavor. They are perfect if you are serving to the kids for an afternoon school snack to sneak in some veggies.
- Slice Jalapenos – Add slice jalapenos is also a delicious way to add an extra kick to your tortilla rolls ups. We have even sprinkled some bacon for a jalapeno popper option.
- Low Carb Option – Spread the cream cheese mixture on a large piece of ham for a low carb option.
- Shredded Chicken – If you have leftover chicken, shred it and spread it out on the tortilla.
- Tortilla – We like using large tortillas when making this recipe. But feel free to change the flavor. You can also use low carb tortilla. The stores have very many options to fit in diet lifestyle.
Can I Make ahead of Time?
These Tortilla Rolls Ups are perfect to make ahead of time. We recommend serving them within 2 days of making them. Keep the tortillas wrapped until you are ready to serve in the fridge.
On serving day, slice the tortillas and place on a serving platter.
How to Store:
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How Long do you Chill Tortilla Roll Ups before Cutting:
It is recommend to let the roll ups chill for at least two hours before slicing. This allows that the ingredients to sit and the tortilla to seal better. Then slice the sandwiches in ¾ inch slices to make the pinwheels.
We like to make and serve as the tortilla tends to be softer than when you place in the refrigerator. Make sure to wrap in plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
How long will Tortilla Roll Ups last?
We recommend serving tortilla roll ups with in about 4 days. The tortilla will get soggy if stored to long.
Can you Freeze Tortilla Rolls Ups?
Yes, you can freeze tortilla rolls ups. Make sure to wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer container. They will stay good for about 1 month.
When ready to serve, allow them to thaw overnight in the fridge.
Easy Tortilla Roll Ups Appetizer:
These tortilla roll ups are easy and delicious. The perfect appetizer to make for an after school snack, game day gathering or hanging out by the pool. They can easily be prepared ahead of time with a variety of ingredients.
Make these for your next BBQ for a budget friendly appetizer. Feel free to add in some meat to make them hearty.
Print Recipe here for Tortilla Roll Ups:
- Beat together the cream cheese and sour cream with a hand held or stand up mixer.
- Then stir in the cheddar cheese, green chiles, green onions, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Spread the mixture evenly on each of the flour tortillas and roll them up tightly.
- Wrap each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to over night.
- When ready to serve, slice each wrap into approximately ¾” thick rounds. Serve with your favorite salsa and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Appetizers:
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza Appetizer
- Baked Brie Appetizer
- Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll Ups
- Hanky Panky Recipe