My family just loves this delicious Spanish rice recipe. Once you make this and can freeze it, there is no reason to use those box mixes. Because you can get plain rice so cheap and often free with coupons, this recipe is very friendly on the wallet.
I’m sure you have most of the ingredients on hand for Spanish rice!
This Spanish rice freezes great!
We don’t use the box mixes anymore because we can make this so much cheaper, and reheating directly from the freezer is so easy to do.
To freeze, allow your rice to cool completely. Then place in freezer baggies in the amounts that your family needs for dinner. When you are ready to eat, take directly from the freezer. Place about 1/4 cup of water in the container and microwave for about 5 minutes. Add some salt and enjoy! It is that easy!
You can also freeze this Spanish rice in cupcake pans. Then freeze. Once frozen, pop them out and place in a freezer bag. You now have indivual servings ready to reheat. No need to buy those overpriced rice bowls at the store! Here is the silicone cupcake pans that I use. They are really easy to pop out once frozen.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ onion chopped finely (optional)
- 1½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth -I normally do 1 or 2 cups broth)
- 1 cups chunky salsa
- garlic salt
- Saute onion in oil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth, salsa, garlic salt and cumin.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- I double this recipe to make a lot of rice. You do the work once and have enough to last my family 2-3 meals.
- I let rice cool and then freeze in freezer bags, that way I only have to mess up the kitchen once for a few extra meals.
- Now that you have it cooked and in freezer, you are ready to an easy night of cooking.
- Take rice from freezer baggy and place in microwavable dish. Add a small amount of water and cover.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until warm.
Serve this with your favorite mexican dinner and you have an easy meal in no time. Here are a few of our suggestions that you can serve it with: