This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Get the grill ready and make these delicious Grilled Zucchini Spears. This is the perfect side dish to try for Summer that is easy, tasty and budget friendly. Give it a try.
Easy Grilled Zucchini Spears:
If you loved our Grilled Zucchini Foil Packs Recipe then you will love this recipe for Grilled Zucchini Spears. It is a must try for Summer and we actually enjoy it year round.
Zucchini is such an inexpensive veggie and the grill really takes the flavor up a notch. In just a few minutes, you can enjoy the best grilled zucchini. If you are eating low carb, try Grilled Zucchini Spears. This zucchini recipe is so great that you won’t miss the carbs.
My kids even love this delicious recipe and they can be picky. Zucchini can be served along side many different meats. We have served it with pork chops, steaks and chicken. We love the flavor the grill gives the zucchini.
What Does Grilled Zucchini Taste Like?
It has a different flavor – it is crunchy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. It is simply delicious. Zucchini has a mild flavor that is slightly sweet but with a small bitter taste.
Cooking Zucchini increases the sweetness of the zucchini and makes it softer. I think this is why it is one my kids favorite vegetable. It is also one of our favorite veggies to throw on the grill. It is that good.
- Fresh Zucchini
- Salt, pepper and any seasoning you want to use
- Non stick spray or olive oil
- A Grill!
How to Grill Zucchini on the Grill:
- Prepare Grill and Zucchini – Fire up the grill and slice your zucchini into long spears.
- Season Zucchini – This is the easiest side dish ever! Make sure each piece is well coated in olive oil or cooking spray and seasoned thoroughly.
How Long to Grill Zucchini:
- Place Zucchini on Grill – Lay directly on the grill (directly over the flames -if you are using a gas grill, you want to turn it down a bit). Make sure the grill is set to medium high heat. If you prefer you can cook in a grill pan.
- Cook Zucchini – Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes on one side. Then flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Grill until Tender – You know they are ready to flip when they have pretty grill marks.
What is the Best Way to Cut Zucchini for Grilling?
There are different ways you can grill zucchini on the grill. But depending on the way you cut it will depend on how you grill it and how long it stays on the grill.
- Spears – Cut zucchini in half and then cut into quarters. We like using this option as the spears do not fall through the grill grates. You can also use a grill basket or foil to cook the spears.
- Planks – Place zucchini on a cutting board and cut the ends of the zucchini. Then cut the zucchini in about ¾ inch thick planks. This is a great option because you can put the planks directly on the grill and they don’t fall through the grill grates.
- Halves – If you have smaller zucchini this is a great option. Just cut the zucchini and half, season and place on the grill. For medium size zucchini, cut in quarters and for large ones cut in eighths.
- Coins – If we have larger zucchini we like to cut in coins. We cut in a slight diagonal into circles and place on the grill. If you have small zucchini, you can still use this option but you will need to place in foil or a grill basket.
How do you keep Zucchini from getting Soggy on the Grill:
The best way we have found to keep the zucchini from getting soggy is season it with salt and immediately place on a hot grill. The salt draws out the moisture and the grill caramelizes the outer flesh before it gets to soggy.
Grilled Zucchini Seasoning Ideas:
- Salt and Pepper – Just salt and pepper with garlic salt or garlic powder. This is probably my favorite because it requires simple ingredients.
- Italian Seasoning – Another simple add, especially if your are serving spaghetti add garlic salt and Italian seasoning.
- Spicy – Season the zucchini with Salt with Creole seasoning or red pepper flakes.
- Salty Flavor – Sprinkle with some teriyaki sauce with garlic salt.
- Balsamic Vinegar – We love balsamic vinegar and use it for a marinade on chicken and steak. It is even great on grilled vegetables.
- Parmesan Cheese – Add parmesan cheese after your zucchini is done grilling. We like to use fresh parmesan cheese.
- Steak Seasoning – If you are cooking steaks, add the steak seasoning to zucchini. Flavorful and easy to add to the zucchini. Just toss in a large bowl covering the zucchini completely.
- Lemon Juice – Once the zucchini is done cooking, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top. Olive oil and lemon juice is the perfection combination.
Can I Grill Squash with Zucchini?
We love squash as much as zucchini. Simple cut the squash about the same size as the zucchini so that it grills evenly and they get done about the same time. You can also season squash with the same seasoning as the zucchini.
What to serve with Grilled Zucchini Spears:
- Grilled Chicken Kabob Recipe
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Tilapia
- Grilled Mahi Mahi (Ready in 15 minutes)
We also like to chop up the zucchini after it is grilled and add it to pasta salad. The grilled veggies tastes amazing in the pasta.
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have leftovers, place in an air tight container for up to 4 days. Place in the refrigerator. Leftover zucchini is easy to reheat in the microwave.
Place on a microwave safe plate and reheat in 30 seconds intervals.
Print this Grilled Zucchini Recipe below:
Grilled Zucchini Spears
- 3 Fresh Zucchini
- 1/2 tsp Salt pepper and any seasoning you want to use
- 1/2 tsp Non stick spray or olive oil
- A Grill!
- Heat up your grill or cook whatever you are going to be eating for dinner.
- Slice your zucchini into long spears.
- Spray with non stick spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle Seasoning over it (I love any kind of seasoning on my zucchini)
- Lay directly on the grill (directly over the flames -if you are using a gas grill, you want to turn it down a bit)
- Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes on one side. Then flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
- You know they are ready to flip when they have pretty grill lines.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe