Remember, my freezer cooking adventure where I made 16 meals for the freezer? Well this easy taco casserole recipe was one of them, and it was a huge hit. My husband practically licks the pan clean when I make it. 😉
My recipe below is for 2 meals. Why? That way you can make one to eat now, and then the other one goes in the freezer. One mess, but you get 2 meals. If you don’t want to do that, just cut the recipe in half. However, why wouldn’t you want to? You hardly have to do any extra work to make a second one.
To be honest, I normally make 4 of these taco casseroles because they freeze so great and they make a busy weeknight so much easier.
- 2 pound of ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 zucchini shredded (optional)
- 2 cups of corn
- 2 cans of black beans (drained -or use your homemade ones -if using homemade you may need to add additional salt)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis (aka rotel)
- 1 package of Taco seasoning (or 4 tablespoons of homemade seasoning)
- 4 cups of cooked rice (I used regular that I cooked but you can use any)
- handfuls of shredded cheese
- 2 9x13 pans
- First brown your ground turkey. Add in chopped onions and zucchini (this is optional but ads nutritional value and flavor) and cook until soft.
- Stir in Taco seasoning seasoning.
- Add corn, tomatoes and beans.
- Spray 2 9x13 pans with non stick spray. Spoon 2 cups of rice into the bottom of each pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Spoon the meat mixture over the rice.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Cover with foil and label. To reheat, let thaw overnight in fridge. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes covered with the foil. Then remove foil and cook until the top is nice and brown.
This recipe will surprise you. It doesn’t seem like much, but it has some amazing flavor. We served it with salad to make it a complete meal.
If you want, you could add some crushed tortilla chips on top before you serve it. YUM! My husband even likes to top his with lettuce and fresh tomatoes to make almost like a taco salad. However your family eats it, I think you will love it.