This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Come home to the best comfort food when you make Crock Pot Chicken Stew Recipe. Each bite of chicken, potatoes and vegetables make this a filling and delicious meal without much work.
This Crockpot Chicken Stew is one of the easiest toss and go meals. I love to use leftover chicken and make this stew. The kids think they are eating a new meal and it is a win all around.
Since everything you need for dinner is in the crock pot, there isn’t much left to do but just enjoy dinner when you get home. The slow cooker recipe is packed with chicken and lots of vegetables.
If you love this recipe, make one of these – Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Potato Soup, Easy Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe, or Crock Pot Potato Soup Recipe. You may also love this Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe.
Table of Contents
Why Make Chicken Stew:
We love the flavors of this easy chicken stew recipe. It less than 5 minutes of prep time and everything is cook easily in the slow cooker. If you prefer you can also make this stew on the stovetop over medium heat in a Dutch Oven.
You will love how the tender chicken taste and how you easy it is to make. We love that I can easily change the veggies to what I have on hand.
This is the perfect soup to serve on a cold day.
- Stalks Celery
- Carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- Medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced into small bite-sized pieces
- Bay Leaf
- Salt and Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Thyme
- Poultry Seasoning
- Chicken Breasts
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth or Chicken Stock
- Corn Starch + 1 tablespoon Cold Water
- For garnish: Chopped Fresh Parsley
For the full of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Chicken – We used chicken breast in this recipe but you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Veggies – This soup is a great way to sneak in different types of veggies. Feel free to change to what you prefer. Change the potatoes to Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red Potatoes. Frozen peas is another great addition.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to fresh herbs such as fresh rosemary or garlic cloves.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Throw everything in the crock pot except the corn starch and parsley. It is that easy!
Step 2 – Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is falling apart.
Step 3 – Remove the chicken and shred the chicken. Then add the chicken back into the soup.
Step 4 – Stir together the corn starch and water in a cup. Mix in with the chicken and broth. Then cook for another 30 minutes.
- Cooking Time – Cooking time will vary based on your slow cooker. Feel free to cook on high for 3 hours or cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Shredding Chicken – You can shred the cooked chicken with forks or for easier way, shred the chicken with a mixer. This allows you to save time and it shreds the chicken perfectly.
- Browned Chicken – There is no need to brown chicken before placing in the slow cooker. In fact, you can place frozen chicken in the crock pot.
This meal is amazing with crusty bread so you can dip into that yummy broth. Pick up a loaf of french bread from the bakery or make these easy homemade dinner rolls.
Just use whatever your family likes! We have even made this easy homemade cornbread and served the soup with that.
You can also try Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe for a little extra kick.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The way we recommend preparing this stew in advance, is preparing the vegetables. You can clean and chop your vegetables then place in the fridge. On cooking day, place in the slow cooker with the other ingredients.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The stew will last about 3 days if stored properly.
If you prefer that you chicken stew have a thicker texture, mix in a cornstarch slurry. Pour in the broth and heat on high for about 30 minutes. We recommend to keep the lid off to allow the extra liquid to evaporate.
Yes, you can freeze this chicken stew. Place the leftovers in an freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat on the stove top or the microwave.
More Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
We love hearing from you. Make sure to leave us a comment if you make this chicken stew in the crock pot recipe.
Crock pot Chicken Stew
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon corn starch + 2tablespoon cold water
- 1 Tablespoon Chopping parsley for topping
- Throw everything in the crock pot except the corn starch.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is falling apart.
- Shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, stir together the corn starch and water in a cup.
- Stir into the crock pot. And stir in the chicken.
- Cook for another 30 minutes and serve with fresh parsley on top. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe