Pork Shoulder is cooks tender in this Crock Pot Chile Verde Recipe. Chile Verde is an easy to dish to make and loaded with tons of flavor.
Crock Pot Chile Verde Recipe:
Chile Verde Slow Cooker Recipe is a delicious recipe that is made with simple ingredients. Chunks of pork are cooked in a salsa verde sauce, green enchilada sauce and tomatoes to make a delicious dish.
There are many different Crockpot Chile Verde recipes but they require a lot more ingredient. If you know me, you know I like to make recipes simple. But you still get the Tex-Mex flavoring that we all love.
Top Chile Verde over rice or serve with your favorite tortilla chips. Come home to an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
What is Chile Verde?
Chile Verde is a recipe where the pork shoulder is cut into bite pieces and slow cooked. Slow cooking the pork in a salsa verda, enchilada sauce and simple seasoning gives the pork so much flavor.
Chile Verde means green chili. It is a Mexican stew that after the meat is cook it is soft and tender. The perfect meat to top over rice, fill burritos or make a taco bowl.
What does Chile Verde taste like?
Chile Verde is a simple dish that is made with easy ingredients. They way we make Chile Verde gives the dish so much Tex-Mex Flavor. This dish is not spicy, but you definitely add add in jalapenos, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Pork Shoulder, diced into bite size pieces
- Olive Oil
- Green Enchilada Sauce (28 oz each)
- Salsa Verde (16 oz)
- Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- Green Chiles (4.5 oz can)
- Minced Garlic
- White Onion, diced
- Cold Water
How to Make Pork Chile Verde in the Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Heat oil and brown pork — Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced pork and brown the pork.
- Step 2 – Place brown pork and other ingredients in slow cooker. Add the pork to a 6 quart crock pot and the remaining ingredients . The cornstarch and cold water will be added to the crock pot after cooked.
- Step 3 – Slow Cook ingredients – Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Step 4 – Make cornstarch slurry – In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water. Then stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Step 5 – Serve and enjoy – Stir well and serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy! We recommend seasoning with salt and pepper.
Chili Verde Variations:
- Change the Meat – Change the meat to chicken or beef stew meat for a delicious variations.
- Add in Vegetables – Feel free to add in some vegetables to this dish. Zucchini, carrots or potatoes would be a delicious additions.
- Make Spicy – Add in some slice jalapenos for extra spice. Leave some of the seeds on the jalapenos to increase the spice.
- Garlic Cloves – We used minced garlic in this recipe, but you add in some garlic cloves. Fresh seasoning always gives the Chili Verde extra flavoring.
Is Chile Verde Spicy?
It will depend on the ingredients you use on how spicy your Chile Verde will be. Our recipe is kid approved and so the level of spiciness is low. Add in some jalapeno peppers, chile peppers or other poblano peppers to increase the level of spice.
Chile Verde Recipe Tips:
- Pork – We recommend choosing a tender pork that is well marbled. We prefer the pork shoulder but you can also use boneless pork ribs.
- Brown Pork – Before placing the diced pork in the slow cooker, we recommend browning it in a skillet.
- Salsa Verde – Make Homemade Salsa Verde with easy ingredients. Making homemade sauces allows you to easily make ahead and modifying the ingredients.
- Make Ahead – This recipe is great to make ahead or to meal prep with. Store in individual containers with a side of white rice.
- Chicken Broth – Chicken broth can be added for delicious flavoring.
- Freezer Friendly – Prepare this meal ahead of time by placing everything in a freezer bag.
How do I thicken?
We like a thicker sauce when we are ready to serve this Chile Verde. To make a thicker sauce, mix in a cornstarch slurry.
Mix together 2 Tablespoons of Cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons Cold Water in a small bowl. Once these two ingredients are combined pour into the slow cooker and cover.
Continue cooking in the slow cooker for about 20 minutes until your desired thickness.
What to Serve with Chile Verde?
This Chile Verde is the perfect dish to make for many different recipes.
- Serve over Rice – Dish the Chile Verde over rice and top with your favorite toppings.
- Make Tacos – Fill your favorite tacos shells with Chile Verde for an amazing twist on Taco Tuesday.
- Salads – I like eating low carb, so this pork is perfect a great low carb meal. Serve over a bed of lettuce and top with avocado and cheese.
- Quesadilla – The pork is delicious in a quesadilla. We love chicken quesadilla but I like to change it with this Chile Verde recipe.
You can enjoy it serve Chile Verde different ways which makes it perfect to enjoy as leftovers. I love to cook once and eat twice. Such a time saver.
Everyone will think they are eating something different when really it all started with the same Chile Verde Recipe.
Chile Verde Topping Ideas:
Serve this as is or you can add your favorite toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Diced Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Slice Avocado
- Fresh Squeeze Lime
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Easy Chile Verde Recipe:
The main reason we love this recipe is the Salsa Verde that the pork cooks in. The green salsa is full of flavor and the perfect recipe for a healthy low carb meal.
The combination of the simple ingredients of spices, pork and salsa verde makes this a crowd pleaser.
It has become a weekly weeknight meal. Because everyone can use the pork in different ways. I know that a good meal as they head out to sports practice.
You will love this easy Chile Verde meal. Add the ingredients to the crock pot and let it do all the work.
Print Recipe here for Slow Cooker Chile Verde:
Crockpot Chile Verde
- 3 pounds Pork Shoulder diced into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cans Green Enchilada Sauce 28 oz each
- 1 jar Salsa Verde 16 oz
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- 1 can Green Chiles 4.5 oz can
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 White Onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced pork and brown the pork.
- Add the pork to a 6 quart crock pot and the remaining ingredients (except for the cornstarch and cold water) to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water. Then stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir well and serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Pork Recipes:
- Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops Recipe
- Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin with Peaches
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe