This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy this family favorite Instant pot chicken and dumplings in 30 minutes with this easy recipe. Perfect for busy weeknights, get dinner on the table fast and enjoy the best comfort food.
Instant pot chicken and dumplings
Sometimes, I crave chicken and dumplings but don’t have a ton of time. What’s the solution for busy weeks? This super quick and delicious pressure cooker recipe! This biscuit dumplings is our trick to making this recipe even easier.
Pressure cooking this easy recipe is not only fast but it is so yummy and flavorful. Your family will love this complete meal!
If you have a slow cooker, se also have an easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings recipe and it is great for days when you will be away.
However, pressure cooker chicken and dumplings is the perfect recipe when you don’t have a long time and you need to cook dinner in minutes.
The instant pot is so convenient on those nights that you forget to take something out for dinner and need it fast. This easy recipe can be made faster than going to get takeout! Plus, it is much better too!
Another family favorite instant pot chicken recipe is Instant Pot Chicken and Recipe.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables -peas and carrots only.
- cream of chicken soup
- Chicken Broth or chicken stock
- Garlic Salt
- Poultry Seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- can of Biscuits
How to make instant pot chicken and dumplings:
First, put the chicken broth in the pressure cooker.
Second add the chicken breasts, vegetables and seasonings.
Next, pour both of the cream of chicken soups on top of everything. Don’t stir the mixture as this may cause the instant pot to not come to pressure.
We use homemade cream of chicken and it super easy and really flavorful. You can use canned though. This recipe is very versatile and easy to adapt to your preference.
Finally, seal the instant pot by placing the valve on the lid to the seal position and cooking on high pressure for 25 minutes.
Once the time is up, do a quick release on the pressure. You can do a natural release, but it will take longer. Just move the valve on the lid to the vent position.
After the pressure has been release, take the lid off and remove the chicken. Shred all of the chicken and place back in the pressure cooker and stir.
Now, open the biscuits and cut them into quarts. Put the pieces on top of the ingredients in the pressure cooker.
I know they will look small but don’t worry. They will get larger and soft and fluffy during the cooking process.
The cheap biscuits work the best. Don’t get the ones with the flaky layers.
Once the biscuits are in, seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Next, do a quick release on the instant pot again after the 4 minutes.
We do not recommend doing a natural pressure release with the biscuits.
- The times listed in this recipe are for thawed chicken breasts. However, you can use frozen chicken breasts for this recipe. When using frozen chicken, increase the cook time to 30 minutes with a quick release on the pressure.
- Feel free to substitute chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- The small inexpensive canned biscuits work great. Store brand is fine too.
- If you want it thicker, when the soup is finished turn on the sauté setting and stir in some all purpose flour until it is thickened. You can also stir in a cornstarch slurry to chicken. Just combine ¼ cup water with 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Once whisked together, then stir into the instant pot.
- Use any vegetables you prefer. We used frozen peas and carrots but you can use mixed veggies or anything you like. Celery is also good.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in 1 cup heavy cream right before serving for an easy creamier dinner.
- Prefer to make your own dumplings? You can make a biscuit dough from scratch if you do not want to use biscuits. Use your favorite dumpling recipe as a substitute for biscuits and cook as normal.
- You can also use our easy homemade bisquick mix to make dumpling dough.
- Substitute homemade cream of chicken for store bought.
- If you like dark meat, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. We would recommend skinless chicken thighs
- .You can even use a whole chicken and use chicken pieces to make this an even easier dinner.
- Kid friendly tip on veggies. I diced the onion really fine so the kids don’t see it. You get all the flavor from the onion without the large pieces. This works well for celery too if you want to use that.
- One of my favorite things is to add 2 more cups of broth and make this into a chicken and dumpling soup. It is oh so good!
Save money with Instant pot chicken and dumplings.
This easy pressure cooker chicken and dumplings recipe is a great way to stretch the grocery budget. Since you only need 3 chicken breasts, it helps your meat budget for sure!
The next time you are craving comfort food and need something fast, make chicken and dumplings instant pot recipe.
The kids loved this recipe! Your family will love this easy meal!
We have tons of instant pot recipes for more great dinner ideas.
Print this Easy Chicken and dumplings instant pot recipe:
Instant pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Place the chicken broth in the instant pot. Top with the chicken breasts, vegetables and seasonings.
- Pour the cream of chicken soups on top of these ingredients but do not stir into the mixture as this may cause the instant pot to not come to pressure.
- Seal the instant pot by place the valve on the lid to the seal position and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release on the pressure by moving the valve on the lid to the vent position.
- Once all the pressure has been release, remove the lid. Remove the chicken, shred and stir it back into the instant pot.
- Cut the biscuits into quarter and place on top of the ingredients in the instant pot.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Do a quick release on the instant pot again after this cook time.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe