This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Chicken Curry is bursting with curry flavor and is easy to make. Make this creamy, hearty chicken meal in less time thanks to the instant pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Curry Recipe:
Instant Pot Chicken Curry is an easy to make chicken dinner that is loaded with flavor. The ingredients are simple but still loaded with amazing flavor. We love the curry chicken instant pot recipe because it cooks quickly and easily.
If you don’t have a instant pot make, Crock Pot Chicken Curry Recipe. The flavors are the same but you can come home to dinner done. This Indian chicken curry dish is perfect to serve for a weeknight meal or for family and friends.
We love all the flavors that this chicken curry has. We eat a lot of chicken and this is a good change that my family loves. The mild curry sauce is perfect served over rice and with a side of vegetables.
What is Chicken Curry?
Chicken Curry is loaded with complex flavors which makes is rich and delicious. The spices and herbs combined together makes for a flavorful dish that balances perfectly with the chicken and vegetables.
Curry is an Indian dish that the ingredients can be changed based on where you live. Which allows for this dish to made with a variety of ingredients. You can change the ingredients such as the meats, vegetable and seafood.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients which include many different staple pantry ingredients. Coconut Milk is added for it is rich and creamy flavor.
- Chicken Breasts (diced into 1 inch pieces)
- Russet Potatoes (peeled and dice into 1 inch pieces)
- Carrots (peeled and diced)
- Yellow Curry Powder
- Full Fat Coconut Milk (14 oz)
- Fresh Lime – juiced
- Minced Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Ground Ginger
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Chicken Curry in the Instant Pot:
- Combine Ingredients – Place all the ingredients in a 6 quart instant pot. Stir thoroughly to combine and make sure that nothing is resting on the bottom of the insert.
- Pressure Cooker – Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Quick Release Pressure – After the instant pot beeps after the cook time, release the pressure from the instant pot. Set the sealing position by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing to the venting position.
- Stir to Combine Ingredients – Once the pressure has been released. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Serve and Enjoy – Let it cool slightly and then the chicken curry is ready to serve as is or serve over rice and enjoy.
Chicken Curry Instant Pot Tips:
- Potato – You can use sweet potato or red potato instead of russet potato if you prefer.
- Stove Top Option – If you prefer, you can make this dish on the stove top. This would be a great option if you had cooked chicken that you needed to use.
- Spicy Chicken Curry – You can add spice to this recipe. Mix in jalapeno, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper.
- Stirring Ingredients – Add the chicken and the other ingredients to the instant pot, make sure to stir ingredients together. This ensure that nothing is resting at the bottom of the pot and burn.
- After Cooking – Before serving the chicken curry mixture, make sure to stir to make sure everything is combined.
- Coconut Milk – Coconut Milk is added with the other ingredients. You do not have to wait to add it as you do when making in the slow cooker.
Secrets to Good Chicken Curry:
This recipe is easy to make. We really enjoy this curry chicken because it is a different way to enjoy chicken but having a lot of flavor.
- Coconut Milk – Make sure to get the Full-Fat Thai Style Coconut Milk.
- Chicken Stock – Use Chicken Stock instead of Chicken Broth.
- Fresh Spices – When preparing this recipe, make sure that you are using fresh spices. If the spices are a few years old, make sure to replace with fresh spices.
- Curry Powder – Use good quality curry powder.
What to Serve with Chicken Curry:
There are many options to serve with this Chicken Curry Mixture. You can just serve the ingredients cooked in the pressure cooker as is or add your favorite side.
- White Rice – White rice is the most common side to serve with chicken curry. We love to serve on top with extra sauce with the vegetables. Crock Pot Chicken Curry Rice Bowls is a great to way to serve.
- Brown Rice – We love serving this meal with brown rice. It adds to the flavor and the whole grain ingredients soaks up the yummy sauce.
- Quinoa – Is also a good healthy option to serve the chicken curry over. This keeps the recipe gluten free and it is loaded with healthy benefits.
- Cauliflower Rice – For another low carb option, make Cauliflower Rice.
- Roasted Asparagus – This oven roasted asparagus is a family favorite and it is very simple and quick to make.
- Bread – You can also serve with naan bread. We love having a side of bread to get the last drop of the curry sauce.
Easy Chicken Curry Ingredients:
When making chicken curry you do not need to go to multiple stores to locate the ingredients. They can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- Coconut Milk – Coconut milk is added to this slow cooker Indian recipe. It give it rich and creamy flavor and really balances out all the spices.
- Chicken – We recommend using chicken breast diced into 1 inch pieces. But you can also use chicken thighs if your prefer. You can use frozen or thawed chicken.
- Vegetables – We love to add in vegetable to this slow cooker recipes. It makes this recipe a one pot meal so everything cooks in the crock pot. We added russet potatoes and fresh carrots. Feel free to add in sweet potatoes and red bell pepper.
- Curry Powder – Curry Powder is a blend of spices and really brings out the flavors in this chicken curry recipe.
- Broth, Ginger and brown sugar – The remaining ingredients are added to pull out all the flavors.
Recipe Variations for Instant Pot Curry Chicken:
- Add Sweet Potatoes – For adding flavor, mix in some sweet potatoes to the mix. You can use both russet potatoes and sweet potatoes. We love this combination of the two.
- Low Carb – For a low carb option, serve with cauliflower rice, quinoa, or just eat the curry mixture by itself.
- Chicken Stock – Use chicken stock instead chicken broth.
- Change Chicken Type – We used chicken breast in this recipe, but you can also use chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Add in Other Vegetables – This recipe is great with many different vegetables. Use what you have.
- Diced Tomatoes – Add the tomatoes to this mixture for added flavor. We love the way it taste and the way it looks.
- Chili Powder – Add in chili powder for deeper spice to this dish. You can even add in red pepper flakes for a spicier sauce.
- Garam Masala – This is a traditional Indian seasoning that can be added instead.
How to Store:
- Refrigerate – After Pressure Cooking Chicken Curry has cooled to room temperature, place in an air tight container. Then refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat – Place chicken curry and rice in a microwave safe bowl and reheat. You can also reheat on the stove. This recipe is perfect for meal prep and for lunch the next day.
How to Freeze:
We do not recommend freezing this chicken curry. The coconut milk ingredient tends to separate and it will become grainy.
Why we love this Recipe:
- Easy to Make – We love how easy this recipe is made in the Instant Pot. Dinner is done in about 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on your instant pot.
- Simple Ingredients – These ingredients are pantry staple spices that you probably already have. It is a budget friendly meal but fancy enough to serve for your guest.
- Variety of ways to Prepare – You can make this Chicken Curry dish on the stovetop, in the crock pot or instant pot.
- Perfect for any Diet – This can be prepared whether you are on a low carb diet, Paleo, or dairy free.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Chicken Curry:
Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breasts diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound Russet Potatoes peeled and dice into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk 14 oz
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place all the ingredients in a 6 quart instant pot. Stir thoroughly to combine and make sure that nothing is resting on the bottom of the insert.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. After the instant pot beeps after the cook time, release the pressure from the instant pot by moving the valve on the lid from the sealing to the venting position.
- Once the pressure has been released. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Let it cool slightly and then the chicken curry is ready to serve as is or serve over rice and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe