This amazing S’mores cake recipe will take dessert to a new level! It’s loaded with chocolate, marshmallows and more! It’s so moist and baked to perfection. Each bite is packed with all things chocolate!
S’mores Cake recipe:
Do you love s’mores? If so, you will love this poke cake recipe! It has all the goodness of traditional s’mores packed into a yummy cake.
It’s the perfect summer dessert! Your family will love it and guests will rave about it. If you need something new to take to potlucks and BBQ’s, try this delicious cake! It is guaranteed to be a hit with everyone!
S’mores and cake two of my things combined together making the best dessert. Easy ingredients and simple process to make this Poke Cake Recipe.
What is Poke Cake?
A poke cake is typically a cake made in a 9×13 baking dish. After it is baked, you poke holes all over the cake. Then a rich sauce is poured all over so that it can soak into all of the holes.
This allows it to get into every inch of the cake. The cake is refrigerated overnight and the next day the topping goes on. You will get chocolate in every bite.
The results taste incredible and the process is very simple and fun. It takes less than 30 minutes of preparation to make a poke cake so it is very easy. The recipes are easy to adapt to what you have on hand and prefer the best.
Ultimate S’mores Cake:
This ultimate dessert starts with a white cake mix. Then holes are poked into the cake to pour the yummy chocolate marshmallow cream mixture and condensed milk over the top.
Then its top with the best chocolate frosting and more marshmallows. You can’t make a s’mores cake without a ton of marshmallows. Plus the graham crackers and chocolate bars makes for the best dessert.
There is no need to stand over a campfire when you can everything indoors. These cake layers make it so easy to make.
Why we love this cake:
- Dream cake – There are so many different ways to incorporate our love for s’mores. This is the ultimate dessert and it is easy to make.
- Budget Friendly – Ingredients are simple and can usually find on sale. We try to keep most of these supplies on hand as they are staple ingredients for a lot of our desserts.
- This recipe is easy and fun. You don’t need any special supplies or gadgets to make this. It is really simple and tons of fun to poke holes all over.
Ingredients for Poke Cake Recipe:
- White cake mix, prepared as directed on the box
- Chocolate Chips
- Unsalted Butter
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Toppings: graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows
How to make Poke Cake:
- Make the Cake – Mix cake batter according to instructions in a large bowl. Bake in cake pans according to package instructions.
- Make sure cake is done – Use a toothpick inserted to make sure it is fully cooked. Take out of prepared pans and set aside on wire racks to cool completely and to room temperature.
- Poke the Holes – Poke holes with a wooden skewer or end of a wooden spoon. For this cake, the bigger the holes the better.
- Melt the Marshmallow Mixture – Melt chocolate chips together with marshmallows, and tablespoon of melted butter on the stove top over low heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the Condensed Milk – Stir in ¾ cup of condensed milk.
- Pour onto Cake – Pour over the top of the cake, spreading around with a spoon to push the chocolate marshmallow mix into the holes.
- Make the Next layer – For the next layer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the Milk and Cream – Add in remaining sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Mix together.
- Frost the Cake – Spread the chocolate cheesecake layer on the chocolate marshmallow creme layer.
- Refrigerate – Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Add the Topping – Decorate with graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows before serving.
Do I need to use a cake mix?
Using a cake mix makes it an easy cake to make. But you definitely make a cake from scratch.
We have an easy chocolate cake recipe that is delicious. It would be great to use to make this poke cake.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can easily adapt it to your preference. Either option will be tasty.
Cake Pan Recommendation:
This recipe is perfect in a 9×13 pan. The ones with the lid are really handy if you are taking this dish somewhere.
I even use the disposable pans to make it even easier if I’m taking this to a cookout. It also helps with clean up on those busy nights.
Tips for the Best Poke Cake:
- Poking the Cake – When you are poking the cake the bigger the holes the better. Also make sure that you are poking the entire cake even close to the edge. You also don’t want the holes to far a part.
- Buy the right milk – Make sure to buy sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk. There is a difference
- Marshmallows – We recommend buy the mini size marshmallows. The larger marshmallows don’t work well with this recipe.
- Buy Cakes on Sale – Stock up on cakes when they are on sale. So when the craving hits for a poke, you already have a cake.
- Cut the Cake – When you are cutting the cake, wipe the knife off after each slice. This will help ensure each slice is clean and looks pretty.
- Spread the Topping well – Make sure to pour the topping into the holes. I like to spread it around with a spatula and push it down into the holes. This makes the cake moist and flavorful so you want it all over the layer cake.
How to toast the Marshmallows:
We like the added touch of toasting the Marshmallows. If you have one, use a kitchen torch to easily toast the marshmallows.
Another option to bump up the flavor is you can toast the marshmallows in the oven. Simply place the cake under a broiler until the marshmallow are brown. Make sure you have to watch it or your cake will burn.
Poke Cake Variations:
- Change the Cake – You can use a chocolate cake instead of a white cake mix.
- Add in different Toppings – You can change the topping by adding in dark chocolate chips or peanut butter chocolate chips. A Chocolate Ganache is also a decadent choice on this poke cake.
- Graham Crackers – Instead of using pieces of graham crackers, you can get graham cracker crumb to coat the cake.
- Change the Frosting – A chocolate buttercream frosting would taste amazing on this cake.
- Make Bars – This recipe would be great as bars. Start with graham cracker crust to make the ultimate bars.
- Marshmallow Fluff – Use Marshmallow fluff for your topping instead of using mini marshmallows.
Can I make the Poke Cake in advance?
This poke cake is the perfect cake to make in advance. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I would recommend adding the graham cracker topping before serving or about 24 hours before serving.
Adding the graham cracker to early could cause them to get to soggy.
How to store:
We usually store this poke cake in the refrigerator. It will last up to 5 days. We recommend covering with plastic wrap.
If you prefer you can leave out at room temperature.
A Crowd Pleaser!
This cake is great to bring to your next summer get together or family party. Everyone is always commenting how beautiful it is and that it taste amazing.
It is the perfect cake to take to a friend that is having surgery or to a neighbor just because. We usually make two to share and it is a great dessert to get the kids involved.
Print Easy Poke Cake Recipe below:
Easy S’mores Cake recipe
- 1 box white cake mix (prepared as directed on the box)
- 14 regular marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz, divided)
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- graham crackers (chocolate and marshmallows to garnish)
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
- Poke holes with a wooden skewer or end of a wooden spoon. For this cake, the bigger the holes the better.
- Melt chocolate chips together with marshmallows, and tablespoon of butter on the stovetop over low heat, stirring continuously.
- Stir in ¾ cup of condensed milk.
- Pour over the top of the cake, spreading around with a spoon to push the chocolate marshmallow mix into the holes.
- For the next layer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in remaining sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Mix together.
- Spread the chocolate cheesecake layer of the chocolate marshmallow layer.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Decorate with graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More S’mores Desserts:
- Easy to Grill S’mores Recipe
- Smores Cupcakes Recipe
- Super Fun Smores Parfait Recipe
- S’mores Cookie Cups