Homemade sweetened condensed milk is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Learn how to make this at home to save money.
Homemade sweetened condensed milk
We rarely see deals for sweetened condensed milk. You typically only see it REALLY cheap in the winter around the holidays, but we use it to make delicious desserts year round.
What’s the solution? In order to save money, I decided to make Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk. It is so easy to make and it is much cheaper than the store bought version.
It is really tasty too! The entire process is so simple that you will not believe how easy it is.
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Extract
How to make sweetened condensed milk:
First, stir the milk and sugar together. I like to use a large sauce pan for this.
Heat this mixture and bring it to a simmer.
Next, keep simmering the mixture until it is reduced to half. It is super important to keep whisking frequently so the milk does not burn.
Once the water content has reduced, remove the pan from the heat.
Finally, add the butter and vanilla to the pan. Stir to combine.
Let this cool completely. You will need to store this in the fridge and it lasts up to a week.
Make sure to use an airtight container to store the mixture. My favorite is a mason jar. They are easy to reuse, inexpensive and I normally always have several on hand!
Now it is ready to use in all of your favorite recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk.
Sweetened condensed milk recipe is that easy.
No need to purchase store bought at the grocery store when you can make this delicious recipe at home. You can use coconut milk if you need a dairy free condensed milk option.
All of your favorite recipes will taste amazing with this and it is ready in under 30 minutes. You can use it to make ice cream, pies and so much more that call for dulce de leche or sweetened condensed milk.
Save time and money.
If you are like me and trying to make more things at home, this is an easy recipe to start with. I love that I don’t have to worry about what is inside or any hidden ingredients.
You can know exactly what is going into the food you are eating. This is so comforting knowing what I am giving my family.
Once you start making this and trying new things at home, you will see it does not take long. Sometimes, I hesitate to do things because I think it might be complicated or time consuming.
Just start with one or two recipes and go from there. Don’t try to make everything at once or you will become overwhelmed.
Before you know it, you will have a list of things you are making at home. It is such a good feeling and not hard at all.
Easy Homemade Chili Seasoning is another easy recipe to try. It is amazing the things you can make at home with very little effort or work.
Many recipes can be made with just a few simple ingredients. We truly have a blast making things at home!
Try homemade condensed milk!
It is so creamy and delicious. Plus, the recipe is so very simple to make.
It is a win win all around and you can’t go wrong! With only 4 ingredients, this is an easy recipe to make from scratch.
The savings will add up making this at home and also will save you a trip to the store. Get started today and see just how easy this is!
Print this recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk below:
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir together the milk and sugar in a large sauce pan. Heat over medium heat and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Simmer uncovered until the mixture is reduced in half (20-30 minutes) whisking frequently to keep the milk from burning.
- Once the milk is reduce, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and then use with your favorite recipes or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Sweetened condensed milk recipes:
- Snow Ice Cream Recipe
- Homemade Coffee Creamer Recipe
- Better than Sex Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe
- Oreo Magic Bars
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 Minute Microwave Fudge
- Oreo Fudge Recipe
Make sure you check out these other delicious homemade recipes:
- How to Make a Roux so you can make other kinds of gravy!
- Homemade Egg Noodles
- How to Make Whipped Cream
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- The Best Flour Recipe
- Homemade Pancake Syrup
- Easy Homemade Chili Seasoning
- Casear Salad Dressing Recipe
- Homemade Croutons
- The Best Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix
- Easy Homemade English Muffins
- White Gravy Recipe
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
- Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe