This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese has been a game changer for my family. The kids love making their own grilled cheese and using the air fryer has made it easy to do.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
Grilled cheese is a classic recipe that I grew up eating for a quick lunch. Now I serve it to my kids but using the air fryer allows the kids to help. The bread toast golden brown and the cheese melts perfectly for a delicious sandwich recipe.
We love air fryer recipes and it has been a game changer for my family. The flavor and the crispy texture of this grill cheese sandwich makes for the perfect lunch.
Serve this sandwich with your favorite air fryer French Fries. This is the best grilled cheese sandwich for a crowd pleasing sandwich.
What is the Best Type of Bread?
Feel free to use different types of breads for this grilled cheese sandwiches. These are some of our favorite suggestions.
- White Sandwich Bread
- Sourdough Bread
- Wheat Bread
- French Bread
- Slices Sandwich Bread
- Slices Cheddar Cheese
How to Make Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer:
- Step 1 – Butter Top Piece of Bread – Spread butter on one side of each piece of the sandwich bread. Makes sure to butter each side of the slices of bread.
- Step 2 – Place in Air Fryer – Then place a piece of the bread (butter side down) in the air fryer basket. Top it with 2 thinly slices of cheese and place another piece of the bread on top (butter side up). Feel free to use shredded cheese instead of slice cheese.
- Step 3 – Cook Sandwich – Cook in the air fryer at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes. Turn the sandwich over in the basket and cook for 4 more minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 4 – Serve – Remove from the air fryer, cut in half and serve warm. Enjoy!
How Long to Cook Grilled Cheese in Air Fryer:
Grilled Cheese cooks about 4 minutes on each side. Depending on your air fryer it may take longer. As long as your bread is cooked golden brown and the cheese is melted. Then your grilled cheese is ready to serve.
Air frying grilled cheese makes for a tasty lunch.
Grilled Cheese in Air Fryer Recipe Tips:
- Heat Air Fryer – We recommend preheating your air fryer prior to cooking the grilled cheese. If you do not have this function on your air fryer. Then you may just add a few minutes to cooking time.
- Flip Sandwich – When cooking the sandwich in the air fryer, we do recommend flipping sandwich. Cook for a few minutes then flip sandwich.
- Cooking Sandwich – Cook the sandwich until the inside is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Secure the Sandwich – If you have problems with the bread not staying on top of the cheese. Hold the sandwich together with a toothpick.
- Breads – You can easily make this sandwich with your favorite type of bread. We used white bread in this recipe, but Artisan bread is amazing or Texas Toast. We like a thicker bread when cooking in the air fryer.
- Change the types of Cheese – We love to use different cheese slices when making grilled cheese. Use American cheese, pepper jack, or Munster cheese. You can also use two different kinds of cheese. Other options include swiss, provolone, mozzarella, or sharp cheddar cheese. These are some of the best cheeses to choose from.
- Add a sauce – Before placing the bread on the griddle spread mustard or mayo. Spread on the side you put the cheese on. It gives is so much flavor.
- Meat – Make the ultimate grilled cheese by adding in meat. You can add shredded cooked chicken, diced ham and more.
- Bacon – Add cooked bacon when adding the cheese. This really is the ultimate grilled cheese. We love making air fryer bacon to add to this sandwiches.
- Other Condiments – Complete your sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes or chopped spinach.
- Butter and Mayonnaise – Spread butter or mayonnaise on the bread before placing in the air fryer. This allows for a crispy texture and the bread gets golden brown.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
We have served grilled cheese cheese with many different things. These are some classic side dishes to serve to complete your meal.
- Bowl of Tomato Soup – Panera Bread’s Creamy Tomato Soup is always a family favorite. We love going to Panera for their delicious salads, sandwiches and their soups. This tomato soup is creamy, delicious and we love it topped with black pepper focaccia croutons.
- Garden Salad – Make a tasty salad loaded with vegetables and more. It is light and refreshing and pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- More Grilled Cheese Side Dish – If you are looking for more side dishes to serve with your classic grilled cheese. We have gathered more of our favorites.
How to Store Leftovers:
These sandwiches are best served fresh. But you can refrigerate the leftovers in a airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
Easy Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
We always have the ingredients for a grilled cheese sandwich. It is a quick and easy lunch that everyone loves. This is a base recipe, but you can easily prepare it many different ways.
Add in condiments, spinach or meats to add flavor and texture to your classic sandwich. I love the flavor and adding a side of soup, salad or roasted vegetables makes it a complete meal idea.
Print Recipe for Air Fryer Grilled Cheese:
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Spread butter on one side of each piece of the sandwich bread.
- Then place a piece of the bread (butter side down) in the air fryer basket. Top it with 2 slices of cheese and place another piece of the bread on top (butter side up).
- Cook in the air fryer at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes. Turn the sandwich over in the basket and cook for 4 more minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from the air fryer, cut in half and serve warm. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe