This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese is packed with some much flavor. Take your leftover chicken and turn it into the ultimate grilled cheese.
Homemade buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich is a quick and easy dinner or lunch idea. If you have leftover chicken this is the recipe to make.
We love making buffalo chicken recipes because of the flavor and can be made in a variety of ways. Grilled cheese is a staple and classic sandwich we make often, but adding buffalo chicken is now a family favorite.
The grilled cheese sandwich recipe is cooked with a crispy texture and the cheese is melted perfectly. It is the perfect comfort food. Serve with a soup or a salad for a complete meal idea.
How to Cook Chicken:
If you want to make this recipe and do not have chicken cooked. Try one of these easy ways to cook it.
- Crockpot Cooked Chicken – Simple way to cook chicken and let the slow cooker do all the work.
- Boil Chicken Breast – Learn simple steps on boiling your chicken on the stovetop.
- Instant Pot Chicken – For a quick and easy to way to cook your chicken, make it in the pressure cooker.
- White Sandwich Bread
- Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Buffalo Sauce
- Unsalted Butter (divided and softened)
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese:
- Step 1 – Melt Butter – Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Then microwave in 20 second intervals until melted.
- Step 2 – Mix in Buffalo Sauce – Stir in the buffalo sauce and whisk until combined with the butter.
- Step 3 – Stir in Chicken – Then stir in the cooked chicken and the blue cheese crumbles
- Step 4 – Spread Butter – Spread the remaining butter onto one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Step 5 – Make Sandwich – Place 2 pieces of the bread, butter side down, on a work surface. Top each with ½ cup of the shredded cheese, then top with the buffalo chicken mixture and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Step 6 – Add Bread – Top with the remaining pieces of bread (butter side facing out).
- Step 7 – Heat and Cook – Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place the sandwiches on the heated skillet. Cook over medium high heat for approximately 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Step 8 – Flip Sandwich – Flip the sandwiches and cook the other side of the sandwiches. Cook for 4-5 more minutes until golden brown.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the sandwiches from the skillet, cut in half, serve and enjoy.
What is the Best Bread to use?
This grilled cheese is great with any type of bread. We used slice white bread but feel free to choose an option your prefer.
Try one one of these options.
- Sourdough Bread
- Wheat Bread
- Low Carb Bread
- Texas Toast
Buffalo Chicken Dip Grilled Cheese Recipe Tips:
- Making Sandwich – When topping the bread with the buffalo chicken filling, do not add to much. You want a nice layer of chicken but it could make the sandwich soggy if added to much.
- Cooking Sandwich – Cook the grilled cheese sandwich over low to medium heat. This gives time for the cheese to melt and the bread to get a crispy texture.
- Leftover Chicken – This is a great recipe to use with your leftover chicken.
- Change Cheese – These sandwiches are great with any of your favorite type of cheese. Try making this sandwich with cheddar cheese, provolone, or slices pepper jack cheese. These slice of cheese always give the best flavor.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce – Feel free to mix your chicken with different types of franks red hot sauce.
- Dipping Sauce – For even more flavor serve these grilled cheese buffalo sandwiches with a delicious dressing. A few suggestions are blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, or a blue cheese dip.
- Seasoning – If you prefer, you can add more seasoning to the buffalo chicken mixture. Mix in cayenne pepper garlic powder, salt, and any other spices.
- Serving – When serving this buffalo chicken sandwich, serve with a side of carrots and celery.
- Cream Cheese – Before add the layer of buffalo chicken to the sandwich, spread a layer of cream cheese. This enhances the flavor and takes the sandwich to the next level.
- Vegetables – Before adding on the top bread, add a layer of red onion to the sandwich.
- Blackstone – Instead of making this sandwich on a skillet, make it on your Blackstone.
Do I have to use Blue Cheese?
You either love or hate blue cheese. So if you are not a fan, you can definitely keep it off the sandwich. Your sandwich will still be easy to make and flavorful.
How to Store Leftovers:
These are best served fresh. If you do have leftovers, store in the fridge for up to 3 days in a airtight container.
Print Recipe for Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese:
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- 4 Slices White Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Butter divided and softened
- 1/4 cup Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 2 cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals until melted.
- Stir in the buffalo sauce and whisk until combined with the butter.
- Then stir in the cooked chicken and the blue cheese crumbles
- Spread the remaining butter onto one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Place 2 pieces of the bread, butter side down, on a work surface. Top each with ½ cup of the shredded cheese, then top with the buffalo chicken mixture and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Top with the remaining pieces of bread (butter side facing out).
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place the sandwiches on the heated skillet. Cook over medium high heat for approximately 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip the sandwiches and cook the other side of the sandwiches for 4-5 more minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet, cut in half, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe